Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’m in Vancouver and I ordered a Model 3, SR+, black/black, 18” aero w/AP today and got the VIN today. It’s a 2019 (K) serial and delivery date on March 23rd. It’s actually too soon since I haven’t even even ordered my turbines and tires yet. I was expecting 2-4 week so I’m pretty excited it’s happening so quickly.

It's probably wishful thinking that you will be able to double dip on the rebates :D

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to... one's federal, one's provincial. Both levels of gov't have their stated goals, and if the other level has the same stated goals I don't see at all why those would be mutually exclusive. I strongly imagine you'll be able to add them together, if I was in BC I'd be waiting, at least till we see the story tmrw.

Last edited:
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to... one's federal, one's provincial. Both levels of gov't have their stated goals, and if the other level has the same stated goals I don't see at all why those would be mutually exclusive. I strongly imagine you'll be able to add them together, if I was in BC I'd be waiting, at least till we see the story tmrw.

Look at sales in Cali, both state and federal incentive applies - leveled playing field and the EV sales are taking off vs traditional ICEV.

It's not a question of whether than can do it, it's whether they would want to do it. From a political optics point of view, housing and jobs are the number priority of average joe Canadians and the government. Buying an electric vehicle is still viewed as reserved for people who have already money. These people would've bought a EV regardless and bringing on additional incentives just help the "rich get richer".

California EV incentives are double dipping because Tesla creates so many jobs in California so it only makes sense for the state to encourage people to buy more locally manufactured goods (in addition to further their environmental goals). Canada has jobs that are related to EV sales.

It's not a question of whether than can do it, it's whether they would want to do it. From a political optics point of view, housing and jobs are the number priority of average joe Canadians and the government. Buying an electric vehicle is still viewed as reserved for people who have already money. These people would've bought a EV regardless and bringing on additional incentives just help the "rich get richer".

California EV incentives are double dipping because Tesla creates so many jobs in California so it only makes sense for the state to encourage people to buy more locally manufactured goods (in addition to further their environmental goals). Canada has jobs that are related to EV sales.

People cannot see beyond their own small field of visions because they have their own issues to contend with; sure - I can see that for some less fortunate than others.

Either way, 5K to encourage and reduce air pollution will reduce health care costs exponentially on a local level. It is often the well off, well educated that are able to afford 50K+ SUVs and live in rural areas and commute into high density poorer urban neighbourhoods. Getting them into any BEV is a win as they are no longer spewing out 13L/100km worth of pollutants while idling to get home each and every night.

Reactions: madmax240
These people would've bought a EV regardless and bringing on additional incentives just help the "rich get richer".
The Abacus Data poll last week showed 61% of Canadians support an EV rebate. The market is there for a well-thought-out rebate. I think the "ultra-rich" Ontario rebate (ie. $14,000) was just too much, but a reasonable $5k rebate should not be a major political issue.

I think the proof of that is that we haven't seen any significant pushback against the Globe and Mail report.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I ordered a back LR AWD with aero wheels and autopilot on March 1st for delivery in Vancouver, BC. I call last Thursday (March 14) and they told me until I they assigned a VIN they couldn't give me a delivery date, but the person was optimistic that I would get the VIN in a day or two and that my delivery would probably be in about a week.

I'm pretty surprised to see some people getting their cars much more quickly. Maybe luck of the draw when it comes to inventory or what's in production. I know manufacturers tend to group runs of the same color and/or trim level.

I ordered a back LR AWD with aero wheels and autopilot on March 1st for delivery in Vancouver, BC. I call last Thursday (March 14) and they told me until I they assigned a VIN they couldn't give me a delivery date, but the person was optimistic that I would get the VIN in a day or two and that my delivery would probably be in about a week.

I'm pretty surprised to see some people getting their cars much more quickly. Maybe luck of the draw when it comes to inventory or what's in production. I know manufacturers tend to group runs of the same color and/or trim level.
3 weeks from order to delivery is pretty darned fast. Many who ordered in the summer had 3-4 month+ waits. Its nice to see them coming down to such short waits. My assumption was that once they started shipping overseas that NA (especially Canada) would see longer wait times than those of us who bought last year had to endure. Be patient, your *3 week* wait will be worth it :p

3 weeks from order to delivery is pretty darned fast. Many who ordered in the summer had 3-4 month+ waits. Its nice to see them coming down to such short waits. My assumption was that once they started shipping overseas that NA (especially Canada) would see longer wait times than those of us who bought last year had to endure. Be patient, your *3 week* wait will be worth it :p
Yes, even 3 weeks would be a short delivery time, my complaint is the estimate they present on the order screen is "within 2 weeks". The person I spoke to on the phone clearly had no real idea and assumed that I would get a VIN soon based on checking the system and seeing the same 2 week estimate. I would not be surprised if it drags out longer than 3 weeks as I still don't have a VIN so I really don't expect it by the end of this week. Hopefully not past the end of the month (i.e. 4 weeks) as I have an agreement to sell my current car.

Also, if it's currently taking 3 or 4 weeks, why hasn't the estimate for new orders been updated?

Yes, even 3 weeks would be a short delivery time, my complaint is the estimate they present on the order screen is "within 2 weeks". The person I spoke to on the phone clearly had no real idea and assumed that I would get a VIN soon based on checking the system and seeing the same 2 week estimate. I would not be surprised if it drags out longer than 3 weeks as I still don't have a VIN so I really don't expect it by the end of this week. Hopefully not past the end of the month (i.e. 4 weeks) as I have an agreement to sell my current car.

Also, if it's currently taking 3 or 4 weeks, why hasn't the estimate for new orders been updated?

Well your lucky if that is the case. I ordered MR white interior with EAP, mtl on Jan 18th and I still dont have a vin.
From what I have seen no one knows or can give you a time frame lol.

Well your lucky if that is the case. I ordered MR white interior with EAP, mtl on Jan 18th and I still dont have a vin.
From what I have seen no one knows or can give you a time frame lol.

If history is any indicator (which it often is with tesla) there will be a huge push to fill as many orders as possible by the end of the quarter. It probably not as crazy as Q2/Q3 of 2018 where they rented the international centre in Toronto (and similarly in BC) and were delivering 100's of cars per day, but probably pretty close.

I was in the Oakville SC today on my way he from work and one of the guys said they were expecting about 160 model 3s to show up this week sometime.

Speaking from experience, have patience. It will all be worth it in the end and you won't remember all these delays (easy for me to say now...buy I do ever checking 5x a day to see if my vin or delivery date was posted last summer!).

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck