Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are wheel locks worth it? And if so, which are best?

Are wheel locks worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was a kid, we had these lug nuts that had a special design that required a special "key" socket to remove. Of course, if you had that key it would work with every car that had the same "lock"

Are wheel locks even worth it? Are there ones that are better than others?

If you or someone you know ever had their wheels stolen, I'm sure you'll find wheel locks to be a great investment. For everyone else, consider how often your car is parked on the street or in an unsecured lot and whether you've seen other cars left on cinder blocks in the neighborhood. Tesla wheels are still a relatively limited market. That, coupled with Sentry Mode, leads me to believe that a Tesla wouldn't be a thief's first choice, but I could be totally wrong.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If it makes you feel better, then sure but if you are hoping they will stop a thief, it is only a minor hassle to deal with the wheel locks. You just hammer a 12 point socket on them. I guess if you had all the lug nuts as wheel locks that would be a deterrent.

Wheel locks are reasonably good at preventing the high school kids from stealing your wheels. They are useless against a professional thief or a knowledgeable high schooler. The exception is if there are a large number of Teslas parked near you, and yours is the only one with locks, they will go for the others first since it will save them a few seconds.

Reactions: patnshan
Since the insurance covers OEM wheels ONLY, wheel-locks protect you from having your aftermarket wheels from being stolen. With that said, I have a set of Gorilla locks (every lug is a lock) on my Y with aftermarket wheels. It's all about deterrence not prevention.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Maybe 4 of these?

shopping

In my case, I would have to go with no. Haven't heard of any wheel thefts in my area. Other area may be very different and it's a reasonably inexpensive deterrent. Just do not loose the key (you you will be buying the remover off amazon).

I’ve had my windows busted, and my radio stolen...but never my tires. And I can’t remember ever seeing a car with missing tires on the street or in a parking lot. I know it happens.... but not enough for me to purchase “another” accessories or protection items.

‘the world of aftermarket accessories will scare you into thinking you need everything they sell, like paint protection, ceramic coating, a screen protector, seat protectors, steering wheel covers, skins for your center consoles, bumper guards, floor guards, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I purchased PPF for my car, but I am not going to try and protect everything on my car. I have car insurance. If they steal my tires, oh well. I have a $100 deductible with State Farm. Sure, I may be inconvenienced, but the odds are very low it will ever happen. If it happens...then so be it. And with me doing very little driving right now (due to COVID), I have even less to worry about.

you have to determine if it works for you.

Depends

Depends on your use case. I work at a secure facility with 8 other people, not all 8 of those people are here at the same time (24/7 manned facility). When I'm not at work, I'm a t home and parked in a secured garage. For me, wheel locks are not necessary.

However, my situation likely isn't very common. If you do not have a secure garage at home or do not work at a secure facility then perhaps you should invest in some wheel locks.

As for brands, different wheels require different lugs, be sure to research this and find the correct size and style of locking lug. I believe there are some for sale on Tesla's website which will likely cost a bit more but will also likely work without any effort. If you don't want to pay Tesla prices you might search the Model 3 forum for some aftermarket suggestions.

If you or someone you know ever had their wheels stolen, I'm sure you'll find wheel locks to be a great investment. For everyone else, consider how often your car is parked on the street or in an unsecured lot and whether you've seen other cars left on cinder blocks in the neighborhood. Tesla wheels are still a relatively limited market. That, coupled with Sentry Mode, leads me to believe that a Tesla wouldn't be a thief's first choice, but I could be totally wrong.
My neighbor got a new model y about a month ago, before he had a chance to put on winter tires and rims, some asshat jacked up and stole the rear wheels. They used a can of orange spray paint to first paint the cameras then jacked it up and took them. Oh and they did not use the jackpoints and then left the jack holding the car up all night. Nice dent in the base of the car but no damage that they can tell.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My neighbor got a new model y about a month ago, before he had a chance to put on winter tires and rims, some asshat jacked up and stole the rear wheels. They used a can of orange spray paint to first paint the cameras then jacked it up and took them. Oh and they did not use the jackpoints and then left the jack holding the car up all night. Nice dent in the base of the car but no damage that they can tell.

That's crazy.

My car is in the garage at home, but there's no telling what could happen. I don't live in a high violent crime area, but there's plenty of catalytic converter thefts on a nightly basis and a few garage break-ins.

I think wheel locks could help as a deterrent, and combined with other security measures would probably be somewhat helpful.

The downside is just the initial cost and not losing the keys, the biggest upside is you don't have your wheels stolen, amongst other things.

The risk is that you still pay the initial cost, and wheels still get stolen.