Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel conservation and education would better serve man than a trillion dollar spend on renewables as a "solution to keep living our gluttonous ways while we just replace one energy form with another".
With respect, you're wrong. This is a common point of view, lots of my ill-informed friends believe it, so it's understandable that you're making this mistake, but you're dead wrong.

Go read the novel _The Gods Themselves_ by Isaac Asimov. It's from the 1970s. It's making a *very particular point* about human nature. Come back when you've finished, and see if you get the point. (I believe Musk has read this novel.)

Trying to convince people to use hair shirts and sacrifice is a loser; most people won't do it even if their lives depend on it. You HAVE to provide a new technology which allows people to be even more hedonistic than before.

Trying to fix human nature is a project we don't have time for (even if we knew how, which we don't). We have to stop global warming now if we want to have any humans to fix.

Don't forget that after 30-40 years, all the solar PV modules we have in place today will degrade a large amount and we will need to just constantly replace them.
I call BS. Solar panels from the 1970s haven't degraded yet. I suppose they are likely to degrade someday. But we have no idea when. Maybe every 1000 years. I think hail damage will be a bigger cause of replacement than degradation.

Hints of some more FUD being prepared for publication on Bloomberg by our 'friend' Niedermeyer ?
Oh, there are plenty of honest things to attack Tesla on. Pirating software even when it's available for free, just because they're unwilling to bother to comply with the free software licenses? Inability to get the music player to work, and making it worse with every revision? Maybe this article will be about one of the real problems, who knows.

Oh, there are plenty of honest things to attack Tesla on. Pirating software even when it's available for free, just because they're unwilling to bother to comply with the free software licenses? Inability to get the music player to work, and making it worse with every revision? Maybe this article will be about one of the real problems, who knows.

Yes, that is of course true, and in general people should have the benefit of the doubt.
However this specific author has more than once published misinformation. According to many he did that while knowing that such was the case. His tweet does not give me a good feeling about his intentions being honest and unbiased.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and neroden
Just ran into this ..

Hints of some more FUD being prepared for publication on Bloomberg by our 'friend' Niedermeyer ?
.. timed in response to good numbers next week ??

The desperation is palpable. Everyone knows serious, hard-hitting investigative journalists tease their Twitter followers with vague innuendo before dropping bombshell stories. Who can forget the classic Tweet from Bob Woodward:

What Nixon just did will SHOCK you. Gimme just one more round of edits...

This response from Bertel Schmitt is also hilariously pathetic:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 12.47.29 PM.png

Remember this is this same guy who got eviscerated by Fred Lambert / electrek for not understanding the the basics of EV charging stations: Tesla Supercharger vs ChargePoint: an electric vehicle charging battle that doesn’t exist

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
  • Informative
Reactions: dha
Mr. Bertel Schmitt certainly has something against Tesla. I think the Autopilot Lane Change bet upset him, and hes been doing his best since then to strike back.

About the destination charging network:
Says nonsense on Twitter like: "5k dest chargers usually 30-50 A, slow as @ home. Insistence on adding them ruins the Supercharger rhetoric, except 4 fools"

You cannot make money on sterilization, conservation and other "stop-use" techniques. snip

You failed to offer what you think Elon should be doing instead of what he is. It would seem that since he's actively helping create alternatives to fossil fuels he is in fact directly addressing your valid concern about our unhealthy dependence.

Reactions: Gerardf
"Money now, truth later"

For me a perfect description of publications by people like Montana Skeptic, Niedermeyer, Schmitt, Santos, Wahlman, Spiegel and some others, specially at SA.

This statement, made by someone (*) in order to encourage publication of potential misinformation, describes the journalistic standards and integrity of those people perfectly.

I expect we will see more of that "quality journalism" today, I assume on Bloomberg and timed around market open.

(*) bonaire, I still hope (against all odds) that it is not you who made that statement. In case it was indeed you, you have now lost all integrity for me. A shame really.

Last edited:
"Money now, truth later"

For me a perfect description of publications by people like Montana Skeptic, Niedermeyer, Schmitt, Santos, Wahlman, Spiegel and some others, specially at SA.

This statement, made by someone (*) in order to encourage publication of potential misinformation, describes the journalistic standards and integrity of those people perfectly.

I expect we will see more of that "quality journalism" today, I assume on Bloomberg and timed around market open.

(*) bonaire, I still hope (against all odds) that it is not you who made that statement. In case it was indeed you, you have now lost all integrity for me. A shame really.

Your post inspired me to have a look at the Twitter feed for @bonairevolt. Twitter.

That individual has an extensive, daily interaction on Twitter with the whole SA and anti-Tesla crowd, including Mark Spiegel, tftf, Montana Skeptic, Ed Niedermeyer plus a bunch of others.

And I never heard of the organization called Activist Shorts, which is one of many fascinating Twitter accounts @bonairevolt follows (I had no idea so many virulent and in some cases downright nasty anti-Tesla folks were on Twitter!)

They describe themselves as:

Activist Shorts Research is a database dedicated to tracking activist short-seller campaigns, and is owned by Activist Insight.
With detailed profiles on over 110 activist short sellers, including details on over 900 public campaigns, Activist Shorts Research is the definitive source of information on activist short-selling, globally.
Subscribers receive timely alerts on new campaigns, and can filter by share price returns, allegations, short-seller tactics, company tactics and regulator actions. Subscribers also receive access to Activist Insight Monthly, the world’s first online magazine dedicated to activist investing and activist shorts.

Activist Shorts Research

Based on his Twitter feed, I have to say that it sure seems like this bonairevolt fella is the epitome of the activist short seller.

That can't possibly be the same guy as our @bonaire. Say it ain't so.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
Based on his Twitter feed, I have to say that it sure seems like this bonairevolt fella is the epitome of the activist short seller.
That can't possibly be the same guy as our @bonaire. Say it ain't so.

I have send Bonaire a PM with a straight question, as I would hate to wrong in accusing him of this. Should I be wrong I will of course apologize in this thread.

I just got a reply, that seems to confirm it is him, but not a clear and straight yes or no.
Probably I am naive in this, but everybody deserves the benefit of the doubt, so I asked him again.

I follow anyone on Twitter that follows me. I always want to hear both sides and understand that there is bias going around and everyone wants to "win". Like I wrote elsewhere about the armwrestling situation - either we relax and try to figure out how both sides can win or the EV battle will continue. But let's shoot for truth being the bedrock of all interaction. Sometimes, I will point out an untruth and it may look like I am "short" or something. However, I am actually not trading anything right now nor intend to. I have corrected others on twitter in terms of bias and I think some are crazy people who are only wanting their short positions to go deeper. What I want to find out now is if the discounting was a well known company policy that was instituted to get the sales number for the quarter. That is seeking a truth.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drax7
I follow anyone on Twitter that follows me. I always want to hear both sides and understand that there is bias going around and everyone wants to "win". Like I wrote elsewhere about the armwrestling situation - either we relax and try to figure out how both sides can win or the EV battle will continue. But let's shoot for truth being the bedrock of all interaction. Sometimes, I will point out an untruth and it may look like I am "short" or something. However, I am actually not trading anything right now nor intend to. I have corrected others on twitter in terms of bias and I think some are crazy people who are only wanting their short positions to go deeper. What I want to find out now is if the discounting was a well known company policy that was instituted to get the sales number for the quarter. That is seeking a truth.
This post and your actions don't pass the smell test. You pontificate a zeal for EV and transition from fossil fuels and say you have "corrected others on twitter in terms of bias" (a claim that is somewhat laughable, as we all have bias/opinions - these are not facts and hence, can't be "corrected"), but you lurk in multiple threads and foment discontent. How? This morning, in the Model X October delivery thread, in response to khamm's frustration at a delayed delivery, you lectured him about paying for his car before it was delivered "Never pay for a car you cannot touch/see/inspect first", even after he told you that he had paid before they notified him of the delay. You go on to unfavorably compare his Tesla delivery experience with your own dealership experience at an ICE dealer (you may be in the 1% of individuals that enjoy the current ICE dealership experience).....to what end? Do you enjoy rubbing salt in the wound of someone who is distressed with their delays?

Which goes to another quirk I cannot understand. I personally think Disney Theme Parks are dated, overpriced, overcrowded and, in general a dismal experience. Yet I have many friends that take their family and make the pilgrimage each year. I feel no need to brow beat them on the relative superiority of Universal Studios Parks, nor do I feel the need to troll on the Disney fan sites (I assume there are some) and try to "correct their bias" toward Disney. I make no disparaging comments about Walt or Mickey, I generally feel that if individuals want to spend their money in a way that they believe is beneficial to their family harmony (or in this analogy, the environment and adoption of EVs and sustainable transport) then they should be able to do so unencumbered by my distaste for all things mouse.

In summary, I'm saying you misrepresent your motivations and elevate what is, at its essence, a personal campaign against Tesla and Elon with lofty rhetoric. Feel free to lurk in the comment sections of Seeking Alpha or in Twitter conversations with those that hate all things Musk....or you could remain here and I will block you as I have others...just don't pretend to be an "arbiter of truth" when you represent as someone who takes perverse pleasure in disparaging and tarnishing others' dreams.

If I recall postings correctly, Bonaire not only drives an EV, but he also has solar panels on his house. So while he may not say all of the right things on this forum, he certainly believes in renewables. Personally, I find his postings are almost always informative, realistic, and useful. But apparently they're not for everybody.

The fact that more European car makers will all have alternatives for Diesel will simply speed up the switch over in Europe away from Diesel. Less opportunities to lobby to delay this any further.
And Tesla only needs a few % of the market to be wildly succesful and profitable. Just imagine Tesla gets to (only) 5 % of the market, and that in the mid to high segment.

It is the ICE that will lose Marketshare to all these new EV's.

Sigh, of course Schmitt knows that.

• Love
Reactions: BornToFly

I have lots of family in Italy. The idea that a European would chose a Renault over a Tesla if the price is similar is laughable. Not only are Tesla vehicles faster, nicer, cooler, and full of tech, but they have proven over and over that they evolve and improve at a rate that makes traditional automakers look frozen. I feel bad for Car and Driver and other magazines that test semi-autonomous systems. When ever they compare Autopilot to something else, they basically need to say which version they are testing, and retest every few months. On the other hand, when they test the system from Mercedes or someone else, they are probably good for a couple of years (as nothing will change).