Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod Note:

(not specifically directed toward any recent post; rather, this note is going to ALL active Investor threads).

LAST day of tolerance toward posts that otherwise would have been, and are, unacceptable. One week of election-related wailing and gnashing of teeth and blaming it on others and overall unproductive posts is enough.

Reactions: ohmman
***MOD NOTE***

Okay, fun time is over. I hope all were able to let off all the steam needed, because from now on
we will have only decorum, and that of the highest order.

Besides, these Mod Notes are suffering from a bit of overuse.

Jim Chanos on the poor prospects for rooftop solar business:
"I'm bullish ...[on] utilities that get into what we call 'distributed solar,' you know, the large installations where they then distribute it. But, like, the whole business of putting things up on people's rooves (sic) and small installations is just not economic for the companies doing it"

That's what y'all call distributed solar?
I have to think that if he made such a Third Grade Book Report statement off the cuff, on you know, a better known topic...
"the Electoral College, where, you know, solar installers go to learn installation methods and electrical safety..."
...the hosts surely would have called him on not reading the book before getting up in front of the class.

Better Shorts Please!​

Sorry for posting a Seeking Mediocricy link, but it's been a slow couple of weeks TSLA wise and I heard this notion of Paulo Santos turning slightly bullish, so I just had to check out his latest article. Lo and behold: he says this:

"Tesla has shown meaningful technological advancements.

This article covers two areas where Tesla seems to have made progress: self-driving cars and solar roof tiles.

These advances create upside risk for short sellers."

and then goes on:

"I'm not one to be stubborn on my ideas when faced with new information. In this article, thus, I will be saying stuff which can actually be construed as positive for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)." (Sic!)

And ends it:

"It's just that I had a few good words to say about Tesla's technological developments. Even its self-driving technology seems to be advancing at a surprisingly high rate. Those thinking of selling short Tesla need to be aware of these advancements."

So wow, Santos turning less bearish, Trump is president in the US, perhaps hell is going to freeze over after all...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4025184-tesla-shows-meaningful-technological-progress

Yes, pretty amazing .. he has always twisted things negative in the past. Really, as others have said, everything is pretty positive for Tesla: AP moving along; Model 3 appears on schedule; solar itself, and solar tiles in particular are looking very promising with a factory and Panasonic on the move; GF growing like a weed and ramping up; and TE ramping up, and TE-deals likely to be easier to make post merger. Only the uncertain macro environment is a possible downside.

how do you tell if resonders on SA are actually bots? I seriously suspect due to rapidity of negative responses some there are bots.
any "script kiddy" programs to figure that out with?
(yes i could google it, but, sometimes asking first helps get better answers)

I'm getting articles saying Adam Jonas thinks there won't be any Model 3's until the end of 2018. I checked this thread expecting to find some comments. Well, maybe he's not expecting to see his Model 3 until then :)
Here's the full note.

"We continue to forecast a Model 3 launch at the very end of 2018 (more than 1 year later than company target) with 60k units in 2019 and 130k units in 2020."

$242 price target ASSUMING --

- Model 3 will be up to a year and a half LATE
- Model 3 will have a glacial ramp after launch
- ZERO value from SCTY
- ZERO value from Tesla Energy

They reiterated their Equal-Weight rating.

Even Wall Street bulls have no confidence that Tesla will meet their targets, which means the upside is tremendous.

Reactions: EinSV
I have a general question. I stepped in "a pile of..." on SA
I find it difficult to believe that someone working in the Solar (PV?) and wind and renewables field can use with a straight face "Clean Coal" and say the use of wind/PV will be to crack H2O to store the H2 for fuel cell vehicles
Have there been discoveries I'm unaware of that have changed the energy equations for H2O --> H and Coal becoming "Cleaner"

"Clean coal" is an oxymoron.
Cleaner coal is possible with carbon capture, but it is likely not economically viable, see Carbon capture coal plants double the price of power
Of course, political issues might make it acceptable, eg jobs, taxes, etc. But green energy is cheaper, and will bring jobs too, as outlined in the article.

While using green power to split H2O for H2 sounds good, it is very inefficient, dangerous (H2 burns), difficult (H2 is very small molecule and hard to contain). It is much easier to store the green power in batteries, and use the energy directly, rather than through a multistep process. A Google search on "tesla hydrogen fuel cell" finds multiple articles on this.