Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi Q6 e-tron EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of pretentious show and not too many news. But the car looks pretty good IMO. Unfortunately they didn't show much of the interior. In the US, MSRP starts at ~$75K and deliveries start in Q2 2019 (reservation system now open). EPA range yet to be announced.

One of the more interesting announcements was that they are teaming up with Amazon for the voice assistant and probably other connected services. That seems like a smart play, since they can integrate with the Alexa ecosystem, and Amazon is much better at building and delivering cloud services than a car manufacturer.

Reactions: HnyBaked and R.S
Tesla says Model X gets 170 miles in 30 minutes

hsAfOZH.jpg

but Audi says Model X only gets 144.5 miles in 30 minutes.

its

Thus, Audi implies that it's the fastest at 160 miles in 30 minutes.

Sounds like an advertisement gimmick that needs to be verified by youtubers.

Reactions: techmaven
Tesla says Model X gets 170 miles in 30 minutes

hsAfOZH.jpg

but Audi says Model X only gets 144.5 miles in 30 minutes.

its

Fastned says the Audi does 150kW charge until 80% and 50kW charge until 98%.
Tesla doesn't do that.

The charge speed is up to 150 kW at our 175 kW fast chargers and up to 50 kW at our other chargers. The actual charge speed depends on the state of charge of the battery when plugging in. On average the e-tron charges 100 km in 10 - 30 minutes. At a 175 kW charger the charge speed will slowly drop as of 80%. At a 50 kW charger this happens only at 98%. Charging with an Audi e-tron Quattro

Since they post charging details on various cars, these numbers are probably legit.

Hyundai Ioniq (70kW until 75%, 22kW above 80%):
The charge speed is up to 70 kW at our 175 kW fast chargers and 50 kW at our other chargers. In the charge curve below you can see the charge speed of the Ioniq at both chargers. On average the Ioniq charges 100 km in 15 - 25 minutes. Above 75% the charge speed requested by the car will drop, and above 85% the charge speed is reduced to 22 kW. Charging with Hyundai Ioniq

Jaguar I-Pace (85kW until 50%, 50kW until 80%):
The charge speed is up to 85 kW at our 175 kW fast chargers and 50 kW at our other chargers. The actual charge speed depends on the state of charge of the battery when plugging in. On average the I-PACE charges 100 km in 15 - 30 minutes. At a 175 kW charger the charge speed will slowly drop as of 50%. At a 50 kW charger this happens as of 80%. Charging with a Jaguar I-PACE

Now as these „Tesla killers“ materialize, it becomes more and more obvious how advanced the Model X was and still is. It don‘t think the e-tron is bad, in contrary, seems like a good model without the technical flaws of an I-pace or especially an EQC. But the car does not set a new benchmark, it does not match the specs of a 2015 Model X. I also don‘t like the looks of the interior and the exterior, as ugly as the other Audis, but thats a matter of personal preference.

Here is a quick overview
- First 2019 e-tron models are more expensive than a Model X 75. Later models are about on par with similar equipment.
- base configuration is coming later (Did anyone blame Tesla for such behaviour with Model 3?)
- base configuration does not include rear airbags, cold weather package and towing
- range is lower than Model X75D, even though the battery is larger
- delivery is delayed to 2019, Audi is not able to meet timelines as promised
- their charging network is delayed
- the boss of the company is still in prison
- cw is 0.27 with virtual mirrors or 0.28 with classic mirrors. This compares to 0.25 (!) for the Model X with classic mirrors
- Maximum performance is limited to 8 seconds (S/X was critized heavily for max power decrease when heavily used ...)
- VMax is limited to 200 km/h (vs. 250 km/h for Model X)
- towing capacity is lower than the X.
- 5 vs. 6/7 seats available for the X.
- acceleration is lower, over 5 seconds vs. under 5 for the X

The e-tron has some cool features, like the virtual mirrors and the animated rear red LED string. But in practice, it will be worse than an X in many situations due to the lower efficiency and the lack of a good high speed charging network. It is good to have a rival for the X. Hopefully, this drives Tesla to improve the X faster, adding cool things like 360° camera views or virtual mirrors or better lights. But the e-tron shows clearly how hard it is to beat Tesla. They‘re so much in ahead of the competition in terms of EV drivetrains that the biggest and oldest and best car companies struggle beating them after years of engineering.

After having both Tesla killers, the EQC and the e-tron, on the table, I think it is safe to say that for those who waited, it is a good point in time to trigger the order button for a new Model X now instead of waiting another year to buy a rival that hardly matches the specs of the original.

FWIW, Fastned, the largest Dutch open fast charging network already confirmed that they have seen the Audi charging on their chargers at speed of 150KW. So that part of Audi's claim is real and independently verified. Fastned will release a full charging profile, but by policy they only do that after the car is officially in the hands of customers.

I'm completely underwhelmed by the E-tron. It's boring, it looks outdated, it could almost put me to sleep. There's nothing in the styling, the interior, or the performance specifications that looks remotely interesting.

However… Do keep in mind where I'm coming from. I never have found any other Audi cars interesting either. They all put me to sleep. Obviously Audi's regular customers have a different perspective or the company wouldn't be in business. Whether Audi's regular customers are ready to go electric, I have no idea.

Also, I freely admit that I don't get "SUVs". And the reason I put that in scare quotes is because none of the new electric SUVs are what I would actually call a SUV. They're crossover vehicles which are basically station wagons with a higher profile. I never have really understood the purpose of this automotive category, and I think they especially don't make sense in a BEV where the higher frontal area is only going to reduce efficiency and range.

So, I don't understand why anybody would buy this vehicle. But then, people keep comparing the E-tron with the Tesla Model X, and I don't understand why anybody would buy a Tesla Model X instead of a Model S either. The S is less expensive, better looking, more efficient and still has huge passenger and cargo capacity. The Model S is not good for going off-road (like a real SUV), but then the Model X isn't good for that either.

My thoughts :
- The cheapest Model X 75 is 83k, so the pricing is on par with the X, (except you should get the full $7500 on the eTron next year correct?, while the X will only be $3750). Of course if you change anything on the X (upgraded interior, non base color, etc...) you easily get more expensive.
- The range isn't officially announced that I've seen, but I'm pretty sure it will be less than 75 which is disappointing.
- Looks are as you said personal preference, I personally like the exterior looks about the same as the X, but I think the interior looks better on the audi.
- towing capacity, 4k lbs should be enough, at least it beats the 0 lbs of the iPace.
- 5 seats is all I care about personally
- acceleration is a little disappointing, the "boost" mode or whatever they call it is dumb. especially if you can't turn it on and leave it on...

All that said, I put down a reservation. I have an S now, and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on an X but when I price one out it gets up to $90k for the options I want on a 75. So I've been looking at used, but the used values are insane. Plus fold down seats is a requirement for me and it's hard to find 5 seaters used.

For me,
Audi configured for $84.5k (Prestige Package, added towing package, upgraded wheels, white exterior, beige interior)
Tesla Model X for $88.3k (base 75, white exterior, cream interior)

For almost 4k less, the audi gets cooled/massage seats heads up display
Audi advantages : cooled/massage seats, heads up display
Tesla advantages : 1k lbs additional towing, self opening doors. additional range (~30-40 miles maybe?)

Pretty comparable if you ask me, also since I'm buying next year, the audi will get $7500 tax credit while the X will only get $3750.
So $77k vs $84.5k, advantage audi on price.

Also, I may be on my own here but I hate the glossy backs of the seats in the X, and I don't care for the falcon wing doors.
Now, if a used 2017-2018 Model X 90 pops up before I'm locked in to the audi for cheaper I'll probably jump on it instead...

Now as these „Tesla killers“ materialize, it becomes more and more obvious how advanced the Model X was and still is. It don‘t think the e-tron is bad, in contrary, seems like a good model without the technical flaws of an I-pace or especially an EQC. But the car does not set a new benchmark, it does not match the specs of a 2015 Model X. I also don‘t like the looks of the interior and the exterior, as ugly as the other Audis, but thats a matter of personal preference.

Here is a quick overview
- First 2019 e-tron models are more expensive than a Model X 75. Later models are about on par with similar equipment.
- base configuration is coming later (Did anyone blame Tesla for such behaviour with Model 3?)
- base configuration does not include rear airbags, cold weather package and towing
- their charging network is delayed
- the boss of the company is still in prison
- cw is 0.27 with virtual mirrors or 0.28 with classic mirrors. This compares to 0.25 (!) for the Model X with classic mirrors
- Maximum performance is limited to 8 seconds (S/X was critized heavily for max power decrease when heavily used ...)
- VMax is limited to 200 km/h (vs. 250 km/h for Model X)
- towing capacity is lower than the X.
- 5 vs. 6/7 seats available for the X.
- acceleration is lower, over 5 seconds vs. under 5 for the X

The e-tron has some cool features, like the virtual mirrors and the animated rear red LED string. But in practice, it will be worse than an X in many situations due to the lower efficiency and the lack of a good high speed charging network. It is good to have a rival for the X. Hopefully, this drives Tesla to improve the X faster, adding cool things like 360° camera views or virtual mirrors or better lights. But the e-tron shows clearly how hard it is to beat Tesla. They‘re so much in ahead of the competition in terms of EV drivetrains that the biggest and oldest and best car companies struggle beating them after years of engineering.

After having both Tesla killers, the EQC and the e-tron, on the table, I think it is safe to say that for those who waited, it is a good point in time to trigger the order button for a new Model X now instead of waiting another year to buy a rival that hardly matches the specs of the original.

My thoughts :
- The cheapest Model X 75 is 83k, so the pricing is on par with the X, (except you should get the full $7500 on the eTron next year correct?, while the X will only be $3750). Of course if you change anything on the X (upgraded interior, non base color, etc...) you easily get more expensive.
- The range isn't officially announced that I've seen, but I'm pretty sure it will be less than 75 which is disappointing.
- Looks are as you said personal preference, I personally like the exterior looks about the same as the X, but I think the interior looks better on the audi.
- towing capacity, 4k lbs should be enough, at least it beats the 0 lbs of the iPace.
- 5 seats is all I care about personally
- acceleration is a little disappointing, the "boost" mode or whatever they call it is dumb. especially if you can't turn it on and leave it on...

All that said, I put down a reservation. I have an S now, and I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on an X but when I price one out it gets up to $90k for the options I want on a 75. So I've been looking at used, but the used values are insane. Plus fold down seats is a requirement for me and it's hard to find 5 seaters used.

For me,
Audi configured for $84.5k (Prestige Package, added towing package, upgraded wheels, white exterior, beige interior)
Tesla Model X for $88.3k (base 75, white exterior, cream interior)

Audi advantages : cooled/massage seats, heads up display
Tesla advantages : 1k lbs additional towing, self opening doors. additional range (~30-40 miles maybe?)

Pretty comparable if you ask me, also since I'm buying next year, the audi will get $7500 tax credit while the X will only get $3750.
So $77k vs $84.5k, advantage audi on price.

Also, I may be on my own here but I hate the glossy backs of the seats in the X, and I don't care for the falcon wing doors.
Now, if a used 2017-2018 Model X 90 pops up before I'm locked in to the audi for cheaper I'll probably jump on it instead...
No glossy seatbacks on Model X now.

5 seater Tesla SUV will be announced in around 6 months. I think it will have better range and acelleration, seating for 5, similar storage and have a base price (for the big battery) at least $20k less.

Kind of really shows how far Tesla is ahead
Since we know nothing of that yet and considering how long it will probably take till that thing gets delivered it`s seriously too early to put it into the picture......

Since we know nothing of that yet and considering how long it will probably take till that thing gets delivered it`s seriously too early to put it into the picture......

I think we have a good idea as it will be based on Model 3. Just like Model 3 has no competitors, so will model Y.

It is amazing to me that with all the advanced knowledge that established automakers have all seem to aiming to follow not lead.

Except side mirrors.

5 seater Tesla SUV will be announced in around 6 months. I think it will have better range and acelleration, seating for 5, similar storage and have a base price (for the big battery) at least $20k less.

Kind of really shows how far Tesla is ahead

Kind of shows how far Tesla is ahead in the minds of some...

In reality, Audi has an SUV right now, with a 95 kWh battery, that is as big as a Model S, very well equipped, for less than 75k MSRP, so probably 70k at the dealer. Not sure if you can really compare that to a hypothetical Model Y, which will have hypothetically more range, have hypothetically similar storage for hypothetically 20k less at some point in the future.

Sure, Tesla is great and all, but right now you can only buy the much smaller Model 3 with AWD a white interior, 19 inch wheels and not black $60k. For $80k you will get the Audi with their traffic assistant, massaging, heated and ventilated seats, a HUD and a pretty nice interior.

So at least 20k less, maybe, but not for the same kind of vehicle.

N

Here is a quick overview

Cheapest Model X is 96kEUR in Europe, significantly more expensive than the Audi, starting at 79,995EUR according to their website.

Delivery starts next week in Europe, in the US it's Q2/2019.
Production has already started 2 weeks ago.
Audi starts e-tron quattro all-electric SUV production today

According to the Verge, they're already making 200 of these per day, that's almost as many as Tesla made of the Model S and Model X combined last quarter (22,319 Model S and Model X in Q2/2018, that's 244 per day)
Here’s the E-tron, Audi’s first all-electric SUV

Unbenannt.JPG

My thoughts :
- The cheapest Model X 75 is 83k, so the pricing is on par with the X
I don't know. You can configure a reasonably equipped E-tron with driver-assistance package for slightly less than $80K. Together with the full federal credit, this makes the car about $7-8K less expensive than the base Model X (even assuming that you can't negotiate a discount with the dealership).
Model X75D range is 237 miles, which is similar to the preliminary test results they mentioned.
Honestly I think both are ugly (I personally don't like the way SUVs look, they all look goofy to me), but the Audi looks more well-proportioned and doesn't create a drama on the parking lot every time you have rear passengers like the Model X with its silly rear doors.
One other feature I really like (particularly in big cars): 360 degree camera view. Apparently it's even the fancy version that gives you an external view of your own car (see e.g. here). It'll probably also have Carplay/Android Auto (which I really miss on my Model 3). Also, having Alexa in the car should be pretty cool (depending on how well it's integrated).

Last edited: