Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ppl here seem to be treating the Ryzen processor like its the holy grail? I didn't understand the hype so I waded through a lot of hype articles to find the exact specs. Its a Zen 1 4 core 512cache nothing like Ryzens Intel killing 7, 8 and 9 series chips. Is it better than the atom, probably (I struggled to find the atom specs) and aside from the one agruement I saw that going forward Tesla might stop updating atom as regularly, I don't think the MCU processor is overall a game changer. the MCU chip is separate from the the auto pilot board and the auto pilot board is the same between atom and ryzen computers. If someone can point me at the exact atom model used, I would like to see the spec, benchmark data would be even better
As far as I'm aware the comparison is:

So 4 times as fast CPU processing and the on chip GPU performance is also 4-5 times as fast as the Atom.

However, that's not to say the AMD chip is super fast, it's equivalent to a current budget desktop processor like an Intel I3 10th gen with slightly faster graphics but will be plenty fast enough for this application.

As far as I have read the dedicated GPU is not there like in the Model S plaid, a video card similar to the performance of this GPU, a 6600 XT, currently retails for $800-900 itself which I could understand why they might have left it out.

Closest thing to Benchmark comparison:

Edit: can't get absolute confirmation from any source on the GPU front in actual fact. I can say the media reporting is terrible when Tesla confirm nothing though :)

Last edited:
Ryzen will make zero difference to actual driving
I tend to disagree, based on reading of many videos/tweets/web articles, Ryzen will improve driving experience in the following ways:
  • Instantaneous dragging/pinching/zooming of your Google route map (instead of wait for few seconds for screen to refresh in Atom)
  • Able to render more of the surrounding cars/trucks/objects on screen (current FSD & the 8 cameras can detect objects much further away than what are being shown on screen, due to the limitation of the Atom chip
  • Able to reduce the latency between what surrounding objects being detected by FSD/Cameras and what objects are being rendered on the screen
Just share the findings of my online readings after placing my order, keen to know others' thoughts.

(M3 RWD/White/Black/19" Sport Wheel, Order Date 07/12, no EDD/VIN)

Adding to my post above, I'll expect Tesla soon will start releasing new OTA features specific to Ryzen, and Atom cars will either not get these new features, or get the scaled-down version of them, until a couple/few years later Atom cars may only receive critical bug fixes & security patches (like older iPhones & MacBooks).

Apple has been going down the same path on its Intel Mac to M1 Mac transition right now, MacOS OTA updates are now contains new features only for M1 Chip but not the old Intel Chips (many are only a few months old in the 16 inch MacBook Pro purchased before Oct last year).

Obviously some features (like certain high powered games) will be Ryzen only.

Certainly can't say I've ever experienced any noticeable lag on maps on my Atom chip, and if you watch some US FSD Beta videos it's easily rendering 50+ objects.

Tesla is still supporting almost 10 year old Model Ss with MCU1 and some very different camera hardware (MobileEye) with new updates, so don't see a similar pattern to Apple.

Possibly at some point (like Sonos) they might be forced to branch the code but I think we are along way from that.

Reactions: Vostok
Obviously some features (like certain high powered games) will be Ryzen only.
Agree, plus any new features that are CPU/GPU intensive which reasonable user experiences can only be delivered by the Ryzen chip.

Position 0:44 of the YouTube link shared by RedSky1 above demonstrates the Map zooming out difference between Ryzen & Atom.

The latest iOS/MacOS releases only supports iPhones/Mac's from 2014 onward, while Apple still releases "updates" (security patches only) to pre-2014 released devices. Will 10 year old Model S/X with MCU1 still gets the latest FSD Beta and all the new Games/UI features in the latest "Holiday" OTA release? Or they are only getting bug fixes + security patches over the OTA updates?

The map zoomout delay certainly isn't consistent with my use of the Atom.

If anything I don't think the car caches a huge amount on the map or satellite front, and any map delay is possible more to do with the speed and latency of the mobile connection at the time rather than the processor.

Remembering a 3yo Atom chip has no issue displaying 4K video.

If your whole purpose of buying a Tesla is spending time in it playing videos and games, I'd suggest your better off buying a new iPad. :)

Is the Ryzen an improvement - absolutely. But i wouldn't class it as one of the bigger changes I the 3 since launch

I tend to disagree, based on reading of many videos/tweets/web articles, Ryzen will improve driving experience in the following ways:
  • Instantaneous dragging/pinching/zooming of your Google route map (instead of wait for few seconds for screen to refresh in Atom)
At this point I realised that you don't currently have Model 3, as this isn't an issue.

The next two points don't impact the driving experience as I'm not focused on the rendering on the screen but looking at what's coming at me via the windscreen.

I'm sure the AMD will be an improvement, but your research into the driving experience is incorrect.

The next two points don't impact the driving experience as I'm not focused on the rendering on the screen but looking at what's coming at me via the windscreen.
One simple example - there isn't any blind-spot warning LED in the M3 side mirrors like other ICE cars, many drivers are checking the screen for surrounding rendered cars while changing lanes - hence tesla added the side camera view on the screen once turning indicator is activated.

I was assuming the comparison video was taken at the same location with 2 different Tesla cars, hence they should have the same internet speed - being 4G/LTE or WiFi.

But even at the same location, mobile data speeds can still vary widely over time due to other factors, like how many other users are around in that same area at that time doing stuff. It's a shared resource and radio is radio - meaning it's always a varying medium.

There is no doubt it is faster , nobody is arguing that. ask yourself this: what will you use the car for? A media centre? Or just a car that goes from A to B.

If you see yourself playing games and watching movies in your Tesla constantly, then you should delay for the ryzen (if necessary).
Faster is all I'm actually after, this is enough for me to wait. 👍

What I don't get is that it seems there are those who fail to grasp my choice/logic that seem intent on convincing me or others that waiting isn't wise, what purpose does trying to convince me of your point of view serve though? The net result is simply longer waits for those of you who are eager to take delivery right?

I suspect there is an element of personal justification going on, but honestly... just be happy that those who disagree will get your cars sooner lol.