Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saturday morning 3am....check forum on ipad ...no Vins...back to sleep....Sunday morning 3am..roll over...check forum on iPad....still no Vins reported....back to sleep...tomorrow 3am check forum on iPad please please..vin storm for model 3 RWD 🤞
my wife says I need to get a life... I think I need to get a car 😂

This happened to me on Jul 16 :

Went to bed at 12ish.
Woke up and reached for the phone. It was 1 am. No VIN.
Woke up and reached for the phone. It was 2 am. No VIN.
Woke up at 7 am and reached for the phone. Bingo. VIN. That was one of the happiest time of my life.

That certainly was the case. But with wait times now what they are they know exactly what they need to build.

I'm actually surprised that Tesla hasn't used this to create some more order variation at minimal cost to their efficiency.
(Eg. Say wood trim in a white car, a carbon fibre trim, a 'sports' package with red stitching on the seats)
I'm sure they could change it if they put the effort in. But they would still need to deal with cancelled or changed orders etc so wouldnt be a perfect match up to the order list.

If they built to order then we would see evidence of a singular queue with an absolute cut off rather than some combinations and locations with later order dates pushing ahead of other combinations.

For some reason, since I woke up this morning… the day before the M3 line reopens…. I keep singing this song in my head…. with just a slight change to the words….
“Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!
When I'm stuck with a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh
The VINs'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!
I love ya
Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!
😎

Here’s another idea…not sure about legal side of it?
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Our house has all concrete walls, and aside from picture rails I have had success using very strong double sided tape to fix things like a clock in the kitchen. I cannot pull the clock off the wall by hand and assume fishing line or similar will be required to break the bond. I suspect that I will get a similar result sticking number plates to the 3's mounting plates - and it would be a PITA to steal compared to a couple of screws. I think I give it a go and will fix tape to the plates and hand them to the Tesla dealer and either let them stick them on or I will do it when I pick the car up. With the right tape they aren't going to go anywhere.

Reactions: PcS000
VINs generally get allocated as the cars are built with a few variations (a very small amount before the car is built, some as late as when they are on the vessel, and some lucky people because others cancel their orders).

Tesla do not build to a specific order queue but I'm sure that look at the stats and build a range of cars based on the stats. The % of orders we have recorded closely matches the % of VINs allocated too closely to be otherwise.

It is best to think of the order queue as multiple order queues. So there is one queue for M3 RWD White/White, one for M3 RWD White/Black, one for M3 RWD Blue/White, one for ... and this seems to be indicated in the data we have.

And yes that list is only a fraction of the total list. I suspect it would be generous to call us 5% of the total. More likely much less. So the data is indicative rather than conclusive.
Thanks for that. Will sit in the waiting room quietly for the next six months, crossing my fingers and hoping for a cancellation or my turn to finally come up in the queue.

According to this video by Wu Wa and it's description, the model 3 line upgrades are complete. Full production to commence this week (whether that means today or tomorrow I'm not sure...)
But did anyone notice his video was made/released on the 5th, and he states that the upgrades were completed on the 7th (today).
To me that reads like someone stating what is/was planned.

Reactions: PcS000
I asked through carsales, was quoted about $25k, Tesla said they'd do trade in for about $22k.. being that I still needed the car and then with this massive blow out on time, I think I am better off that I am going with the Tesla trade in.. could have been a lot more than $3k to hire a car over this time...
The discrepancy between Tesla and CarSales was around $6000 for my car so no trade-in!

I asked (tongue in cheek) back on the last quarter if there would be any compo for failing to deliver twice, predictably he said no. I wasn't smart enough to think of a years premium connectivity... for $100 seems like its a fairly reasonable give away.

Tesla store employees don’t have much if any discretion. They are not dealerships where haggling is part of the game. You buy the car at the fixed price and wait. It is what it is.

Has anyone traded their current vehicle and what was the trade in price like? Does Tesla follow particular data to value your trade in?
I was offered top end of the Redbook trade-in range. Went back and asked if they could do a bit better and they increased from $45 to $47k. You can get an offer at any time and are not obliged to accept it. They ask for pics of all sides of the car plus front interior and Dash with engine running.

I asked through carsales, was quoted about $25k, Tesla said they'd do trade in for about $22k.. being that I still needed the car and then with this massive blow out on time, I think I am better off that I am going with the Tesla trade in.. could have been a lot more than $3k to hire a car over this time...
I also think you get a reduction in GST because it comes off the purchase price so (i think) it works out to be a bit better than face value

I'm a few weeks before you, late November... they spelt "months" wrong in my estimate of "8 to 12 weeks" too.

I asked (tongue in cheek) back on the last quarter if there would be any compo for failing to deliver twice, predictably he said no. I wasn't smart enough to think of a years premium connectivity... for $100 seems like its a fairly reasonable give away.
Haha brutal eh? If I was a twitter person I’d try hitting up Musk about it, but I imagine you’d need to be fairly twitter-famous for the algorithm to actually get to him.

But yeah, considering all these things are literally software and cost them nothing, it’s pretty *sugar* that they’re not offered as compo.

Ah well, I’m sure once we finally have cars we’ll forget all about it… until we start paying the increased interest rates cos our original approvals expired… 😂

Reactions: MadFruit