Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today was meant to be the day, but I got a call yesterday saying the car was ready so I picked it up last night instead. It had come in on a truck that morning. I placed the order and 28/3 so a 10 week wait all up. Pretty good considering people are waiting 12 months plus for Toyotas at the moment.

Before anyone asks, yes it has USS, and no I didn't get a UMC.

First impressions:
What can I say that hasn't already been said. Bloody good car. I'm coming from a 90s JDM turbo car so it's a bit of a change. The LR doesn't have the same theatre and sporty handling (or rough ride as some call it), but it's superior to drive in every other way. I had pretty much convinced myself I'd buy the acceleration boost before pickup, but honestly, I don't think I will now; it's quick enough.

Only qualms I have so far are with the autopilot. Experienced some dry wiping and phantom braking already on the first drive. Also not a fan of it slowing down as you exit a corner - I'd prefer it just maintained the set speed like a 'dumb' cruise control.

Anyhow that's me checking out of the waiting room. Hope you guys all get your cars soon - it's worth the wait.

It's been a while since my last post and I've had my model 3 LR for over a year now.

I remember being initially torn between the base model 3 and the LR, and I ended up ordering the LR, and while I don't regret it at all I have to say the case for the base model is still very solid - it is significantly better value, for starters.

These days I drive in Chill mode 90% of the time, it is still plenty fast and responsive, and is just more comfortable to drive I general. When I am in the mood or if there's a hoon that needs to be tamed off the line I'll switch it back to "standard" acceleration 😂

I tried the performance boost for free and cancelled it, as I didn't notice any difference. The car you might argue is too fast already - it is kind of heavy and picks up speed so fast that when you hit the brakes it doesn't slow down as fast as you would expect so you have to be careful! Not to mention the thrill of acceleration means you're way over the speed limit in seconds - risky on many levels.

I suspect the base model being lighter will steer and stop better. I'll get a chance to drive it soon, really looking forward to that.

The sound system in the LR - man it thumps! I'm scared to turn it up past the half way point most of the time as it gets LOUD. Again looking forward to comparing with the base model but I suspect it will be more than enough.

Which brings me to my final point - the battery. The LR is both great and a little annoying since it has plenty of range for all practical purposes including going on road trips, BUT you really should keep it below 80% most of the time due to the battery chemistry. This basically reduces your daily usable range to the same as that to that of the standard Model 3 anyway. It is nice to have that extra 20% when you need it although I have not so far.

Another important point regarding the battery chemistry - say you don't have charging at home and you're driving home after a weekend away. With the base model you can get home with a low battery and worry about charging later. No so with the LR as you really shouldn't leave it overnight with less than 30% battery to avoid degradation. It would be nice not to have to actively manage the state of charge on the battery so much.

In summary while I love the LR if I were to buy a replacement model 3 in 5 years time I would probably go for the base model. After I drive the standard Model I'll post an update here.

Reactions: BegaPride
In summary while I love the LR if I were to buy a replacement model 3 in 5 years time I would probably go for the base model. After I drive the standard Model I'll post an update here.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering if it was worth the extra, considering I would also lose the $3K subsidy in Vic if I went for the LR. I had to drop my order last year, and have regretted it since then, but finally able to re-order and looking forward to finally getting behind the wheel soon (ish).

I rented a model 3 recently and easily did the distance from home to my daughters and back in a RWD and that was going to be my biggest concern outside of holiday travel.

With the base model you can get home with a low battery and worry about charging later. No so with the LR as you really shouldn't leave it overnight with less than 30% battery to avoid degradation. It would be nice not to have to actively manage the state of charge on the battery so much.

These kinds of “battery whispers” are myths or overstated. 2 years ago, the gateway on my PW2 failed, resulting in my PW2 discharging until it reached zero. Not just a low SoC, but zero!

I obviously arranged a warranty repair with Tesla, but I was a little concerned about having my PW2 at 0% for a couple of weeks, given what I had heard, so I asked them about it. Tesla told me that while you shouldn’t leave Li-Ion batteries discharged for “extended periods”, they said a few weeks or even months would be fine - they said an extended period in this situation would be 6 months or more!

After the Gateway was repaired 10 days later, PW2 came back to life with no obvious signs of problems.

I would not sweat leaving my car at low SoC overnight or even a week or so. 30% is actually plenty of charge, you could leave a car for a year on that If you disconnected all the systems that could discharge it. I know someone who left their LEAF in a garage in France for 15 months on 75% SOC (but disconnected the 12V to stop any systems running) and when they came back it had only lost a few % of charge.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering if it was worth the extra, considering I would also lose the $3K subsidy in Vic if I went for the LR. I had to drop my order last year, and have regretted it since then, but finally able to re-order and looking forward to finally getting behind the wheel soon (ish).

I rented a model 3 recently and easily did the distance from home to my daughters and back in a RWD and that was going to be my biggest concern outside of holiday travel.
Check out the existing inventory. Basically cancelled orders brand new already in your state ready for delivery.

Reactions: Stuart2023
Check out the existing inventory. Basically cancelled orders brand new already in your state ready for delivery.
I didn't see exactly what I wanted there, and I also wanted to order before June 30 for the rebate, but hopefully pay after at least 10th July so I can benefit from some dividends as well. I just hope it doesn't blow out to over 6 months like when I ordered last time.

A friend of mine has a 2019 model 3 performance. Already he has lost 15 to 20% capacity. The degredation is real.
I have a 2019 Model 3 performance and keep a close eye on it. Initial battery degradation over the first 12 months was around 10%, which is to be expected for those batteries. Then nothing more for the next 2.5 years. Various software updates have come and gone and the advertised range varies with those, as well as how hard/where the car has been driven over the previous months, as the advertised range appears to depend on its driving history. If I do a few track days, the advertised range drops for a while, then it comes back up over time with regular street driving. I have around 100,000 km on the car now and a fair % of that is highway work at 100-110 km/h, which tends to increase the average wh/km a little compared to while in traffic or urban driving. I notice when I do more urban driving, the advertised range goes back up. It shows 395-400 km at 88% charge and 450-452 km at full charge and has done so for nearly 3 years now. So from our experience provided the car is not supercharged all the time (we charge mostly from home solar) there are a range of variables which may combine to hide the "true " battery degradation status. So as they say "your results may vary".

For all the talks of RWD (LFP battery) vs LR or P, here's an article that explains charging behaviour of LFP battery. It is interesting and does clear up some myths. According to the article, charging to 100% once a week recommendation from Tesla is more to do with voltage at which LFP battery operate and accurate battery state of charge % than prolonging life of it. Leave it to other experts to comment. Best charging behavior for LFP batteries - 🔋PushEVs

Any thoughts on current orders being upgraded to Highland version of Model 3 if that is announced in the next few weeks? From reports and leeks, drone footage showing very little Model 3s in the holding areas at Giga Shanghai, reportedly shutdown of the Model 3 production line and a visit from Elon there recently. And Teslarati is predicting it being announced in "coming weeks".

I am certainly curious about that also. I have ordered a M3P and although a few are making it to the east coast, none have been delivered out west since the beginning of the year I'm told.

If the Shanghai factory has been retooled for Highland as everyone suggests I can't see how my current order can be fulfilled- I believe Tesla don't transport vehicles across the Nullarbor.

So I don't know if that means I'll be waiting until the Highland comes out (and what price point I'll be subjected to)
Or if Tesla will find a M3P somewhere else they want to get rid of.

I'm relatively happy either way, some of the rumoured features sound pretty good (if they eventuate), some perhaps not so good.

Guess we'll see

Just upgraded my order to a M3P Blue inventory, (good discounts currently ~6%), and canceled existing M3 order, anyone looking for a M3 RWD Blue 19” it’s on the boat off Brisbane guess it will pop up in inventory to order soon. Was thinking to upgrade to M3 LR but price difference to P attractive. Happy to get one before stalks possibly removed… Most likely will be looking to change the 20” with some 19” wheels at some stage.

Just upgraded my order to a M3P Blue inventory, (good discounts currently ~6%), and canceled existing M3 order, anyone looking for a M3 RWD Blue 19” it’s on the boat off Brisbane guess it will pop up in inventory to order soon. Was thinking to upgrade to M3 LR but price difference to P attractive. Happy to get one before stalks possibly removed… Most likely will be looking to change the 20” with some 19” wheels at some stage.
The P is blisteringly fast but it will cost you an extra $800+ per annum in insurance over the LR.

Reactions: odamuz
Any thoughts on current orders being upgraded to Highland version of Model 3 if that is announced in the next few weeks? From reports and leeks, drone footage showing very little Model 3s in the holding areas at Giga Shanghai, reportedly shutdown of the Model 3 production line and a visit from Elon there recently. And Teslarati is predicting it being announced in "coming weeks".
IMG_9301.jpeg

Shanghai today for Canadian market. Not all Ys surely

I saw that footage yesterday and had the exact same thought re they can't all be Model Y's.

Having said that, Tesla is still pulling out all stops to get rid of inventory stock (In China apparently they are even giving discounted loans and insurance) so perhaps it still points to the Highland being revealed imminently. But then again maybe they do this at the end of every quarter?

Relatively new to the Tesla scene here.