Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Abandoned Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest update I received (the one which restricts autopilot to the exact posted speed limit on non-interstate/highway roads), I have noticed a disturbing trend:

Every time my car is driving on the interstate and their happens to be an abandoned vehicle on the side of the road, for some reason it immediately initiates a 50 mph speed restriction and dramatically slows down the car. Even worse, even after traveling a good distance past this vehicle, the speed restriction continues. I actually have to disengage autopilot and re-engage it to go back to the previous speed I was traveling.

I have reported this as a bug in the vehicle as well as calling customer service about it. Curious if others having this issue.

Also I am happy that the equalizer for the radio is now 5 band but it is annoying to have the settings reset each morning (prior to the update they would be fixed and only the fade/balance setting would be not where I left/wanted it. However that was much easier to fix than individually changing each band on the equalizer each morning.

Disappointed that Tesla did this update without more in house testing.

With the latest update I received (the one which restricts autopilot to the exact posted speed limit on non-interstate/highway roads), I have noticed a disturbing trend:

Every time my car is driving on the interstate and their happens to be an abandoned vehicle on the side of the road, for some reason it immediately initiates a 50 mph speed restriction and dramatically slows down the car. Even worse, even after traveling a good distance past this vehicle, the speed restriction continues. I actually have to disengage autopilot and re-engage it to go back to the previous speed I was traveling.

I have reported this as a bug in the vehicle as well as calling customer service about it. Curious if others having this issue.

Also I am happy that the equalizer for the radio is now 5 band but it is annoying to have the settings reset each morning (prior to the update they would be fixed and only the fade/balance setting would be not where I left/wanted it. However that was much easier to fix than individually changing each band on the equalizer each morning.

Disappointed that Tesla did this update without more in house testing.

I notice the intense, immediate slow down for a vehicle on the side of the road too and having to restart AP. This had NOT been happening prior to the recent software update. The EQ issue is also a disappointment. How that was not found during QA is troubling. OR there was NO QA... :mad:

I notice the intense, immediate slow down for a vehicle on the side of the road too and having to restart AP. This had NOT been happening prior to the recent software update. The EQ issue is also a disappointment. How that was not found during QA is troubling. OR there was NO QA... :mad:

Double-edged sword with OTA updates:
Pro: you get OTA updates!
Con: you get OTA updates that may not have been thoroughly tested.

I have definitely seen the AP issue you describe. I had it happen twice in the last week. I think what's going on is that the car sees another car that isn't on the other side of a barrier, and isn't going close to the same speed as the Tesla, and therefore it concludes that it's now on an undivided road.

I've also seen it happen in construction zones where the main traffic lanes have been temporarily rerouted to be where the service road would normally be, so the car thinks it's on the service road (AKA feeder road or frontage road, depending on where you live).

I'm not having any problems with the EQ though. I wonder if that's a high fidelity sound thing? I have the base sound system.

Spring 2015 S 85D with 8.0 (2.50.114).

Double-edged sword with OTA updates:
Pro: you get OTA updates!
Con: you get OTA updates that may not have been thoroughly tested.

I'm actually thrilled they are able to do OTA updates. Could one imaging having to go to service department to get updates? That would really be the crap. I do on the other hand expect some reasonable attempt to QA the release. As a software programmer, I know it is hard to test every possible permutation of software, but the EQ bug surely would have been caught had anyone actually set the EQ and then the next day someone should have checked and noticed it had un-changed. You don't expect a setting when made to revert back ever unless there is a timer factor clearly in play. Not a show stopper, but seems like "1 foot forward, 2 steps back" is becoming the norm... :(

You don't like the better functioning radar?

While it seems like OTA updates are double edged swords, saying they've never improved the car is wrong.
No. I don't like the added restrictions on Autopilot. It worked perfectly before they neutered it. There have been zero upgrades since 7.0, only downgrades. I bought the car on 7.0, so I've never experienced any improvement from an OTA update.

I only recently got my car so I can't comment on how it has changed but it was my understanding that 8.0 brought about much more sensitive and better radar that provided a great margin of safety. I have read about the crippling of AP1 and it sounds like typical silicon valley programmed obsolescence to encourage people to get the latest and greatest. I think that is unfortunate and I think Tesla consumers need to band together to put a stop to it. I have voiced my concerns to my DS and OA and I think it might need to be walked up the food chain (I'm pretty low on that food chain I feel as I am not an early adopter but every voice counts).

That's debatable.
For a classic car, you are 100% right. (well, I might say 6.2 instead of 6.0, but that's minor semantics to your point) For an AP equipped car it's more complicated. The UI was better in 6 in many ways, but getting AP functionality was a trade off that most AP customers would make regardless. I was actually given my choice at delivery between 6.2 and 7.0, I took 7.0 because of AP despite the worse UI.
So yes, Classic S, 6.2 was the best firmware ever released
AP S 7.0 was the best firmware ever released
ALL cars, it's just been downhill ever since.

As far as the EQ goes: When the car goes to sleep, AKA systems shutdown (remember, it's a combination of computers in there), the EQ settings are not being written to non-volatile memory. When the computer boots back up, it does not have the previous settings anymore. The people which are not having this issue, most likely do not have the [Energy Saving] mode on. This keeps the systems from completely shutting down, which would retain the memory, hence retaining the EQ settings.

As far as the new firmware restricting the speed to 50MPH after passing a stationary car: My theory (crush it at will) is that they were trying to increase safety in scenarios where one lane of traffic is completely stopped for some reason (accident, construction, etc). to reduce the speed differential between your vehicle and the vehicles stopped in the adjacent lane. The problem is that, it's doing this for cars off the side of the road, because it doesn't know the difference.

Reactions: sdorn
As far as the EQ goes: When the car goes to sleep, AKA systems shutdown (remember, it's a combination of computers in there), the EQ settings are not being written to non-volatile memory. When the computer boots back up, it does not have the previous settings anymore. The people which are not having this issue, most likely do not have the [Energy Saving] mode on. This keeps the systems from completely shutting down, which would retain the memory, hence retaining the EQ settings.

As far as the new firmware restricting the speed to 50MPH after passing a stationary car: My theory (crush it at will) is that they were trying to increase safety in scenarios where one lane of traffic is completely stopped for some reason (accident, construction, etc). to reduce the speed differential between your vehicle and the vehicles stopped in the adjacent lane. The problem is that, it's doing this for cars off the side of the road, because it doesn't know the difference.

Your explanation on the EQ settings makes sense, as I do have energy saving mode turned off and always connected turned on and my settings have not reset for several days now. However, they did reset several times over the first few days after the .180 update was installed.

On the slow-down issue, some states (including GA) have statutes that require you to shift one lane over or slow down to at least 20mph below the posted speed limit for emergency vehicles (and certain other situations) on the shoulder of the road. This could be an attempt at complying with those statutes (at least in part).

Reactions: JohnnyG
So yes, Classic S, 6.2 was the best firmware ever released.

For Classic cars there have been a bunch of improvements since 6.2 far outweighing the downsides of the newer UI. I agree its not all wonderful, but no way would I ever want to go back to 6.2

My favorites:
- HomeLink: Auto Open/Close
- Only unlocking the driver door
- Display Auto-Brightness
- Media Player changes in 8.0
- Expanding Nav screen.