Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Abandoned Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For Classic cars there have been a bunch of improvements since 6.2 far outweighing the downsides of the newer UI. I agree its not all wonderful, but no way would I ever want to go back to 6.2

My favorites:
- HomeLink: Auto Open/Close
- Only unlocking the driver door
- Display Auto-Brightness
- Media Player changes in 8.0
- Expanding Nav screen.
Homelink auto-open/close is nice, but not nice enough to give up the UI
only unlocking the driver door is a useless gimmick that I never use (but then again, I live in Canada, so I don't fear for my life any time I visit a parking lot)
Display auto-brightness worked fine on the 6.2 cars I test drove.
media player was better in all the previous versions than the 8.0 disaster, that's one of the things that went backwards in 8.0
expanding nav screen was also a step backwards in usability.

Reactions: deonb
I disagree with the media player. Much cleaner and nicer looking layout, plus the ability to search is better, as well as logging into personal TuneIn/Slacker accounts.
You've been able to log in to personal tunein/slacker accounts since before 6.2, and cleaner and nicer looking is definitely also the earlier design. search also works great on the earlier media player.

Reactions: deonb
AP S 7.0 was the best firmware ever released
ALL cars, it's just been downhill ever since.

I beg to differ on the ALL part of your statement.

I remain on 7.1, and agree with the vast bulk of your views on Tesla's downgrades.

However, despite the 5 minutely AP nags with 7.1, the exit diving behaviour of 7.0 is gone as is the not infrequent instant "I give up" AP scenarios with 7.0. Plus, 7.1 took non North American cars from the defunct Rdio to Spotify.

I feel 7.1 is the best overall compromise for AP1 cars.

I beg to differ on the ALL part of your statement.

I remain on 7.1, and agree with the vast bulk of your views on Tesla's downgrades.

However, despite the 5 minutely AP nags with 7.1, the exit diving behaviour of 7.0 is gone as is the not infrequent instant "I give up" AP scenarios with 7.0. Plus, 7.1 took non North American cars from the defunct Rdio to Spotify.

I feel 7.1 is the best overall compromise for AP1 cars.
7.1 had SEVERE feature degradation from 7.0 in the form of arbitrary restrictions on the speed you could use it on most roads. Usually limited to an arbitrary number that in no way related to the actual posted speed limit, or to whether or not the road was divided.
Meanwhile, on 7.0, after using it for a while, the "exit diving" and "instant 'I give up'" scenarios all completely went away, I had those when I first got the car, but I had none for months before I finally got forced on to 7.1 to regain my voice control and mapping that Tesla took away from pre-7.1 cars. For non-north american cars, it may have been necessary to accept the tradeoff of decreased AP functionality to get internet radio though, I'm willing to grant that.

I find it hysterical that certain folks bicker so intensely and angrily over subjective topics, as if the topic is completely an objective one. :p
Of course, I also find it hysterical that some will ignore certain facts just to prove their subjective point, lol. :p
Are we having fun?? Weeee!!!!!! :D

Reactions: malcolm
I suspect that Tesla has had some pressure from NTSA regarding safety concerns - hence some of the changes. I surmise, as others, that a car on the side of the road triggers the non-divided highway flag ... Tesla can likely improve this -- so report it as a bug-report from your car when it happens. Feedback to Tesla is the way to massage the system.

Reactions: malcolm
Interesting. For whatever reason, the arbitrary speed restriction in 7.1 is simply not an issue here in Australia - it just doesn't happen. Also interesting that the 7.0 exit diving sorted itself out.
Your fellow Australians have posted examples of the vehicle limiting it's speed to what it thinks the speed limit is. They've also posted examples of it not knowing the correct speed limit. I have trouble believing that the 2 have never happened at the same time.

The whole 4-5 hour camera calibration process suggests that AP can be actively learning without controlling the car.

So if you're unhappy with any unexpected behavior, then turn it off and wait for the next update.

Just pretend it's another Tesla-time thing.

You can choose not to be a lab rat.

As far as the EQ goes: When the car goes to sleep, AKA systems shutdown (remember, it's a combination of computers in there), the EQ settings are not being written to non-volatile memory. When the computer boots back up, it does not have the previous settings anymore. The people which are not having this issue, most likely do not have the [Energy Saving] mode on. This keeps the systems from completely shutting down, which would retain the memory, hence retaining the EQ settings.
Good thought, but no. I have Energy Savings OFF, and my EQ resets nearly daily.

So much constant whining from certain members about really nothing at all... I genuinely think Tesla would be better off if some of you just sold your cars and went somewhere else... Or even better, forced the firmware upgrade on you for a number of reasons. I really don't understand why some of you are being so completely unreasonable and irrational about this. The constant whining in post after post, thread after thread, about V8, AP restrictions, etc... gets really old after awhile. We get it, you're unhappy with what Tesla has done... Do you really need to remind us about your dissatisfaction in virtually every thread that touches your "concerns"?

Jeff

WHY? That is the most absurd, stupid comment. Thank you for your great incite. Do you work at Tesla. I DAMN sure hope not.
Calm down, do you think that if I worked for Tesla I'd post something critical? Of course not. The lack of testing and quality control has been a common observation from owners since I got my car. All you can do is report the bug via email and don't stress over it. It may not be what you wanted to hear but it's the truth.

Last edited:
So much constant whining from certain members about really nothing at all... I genuinely think Tesla would be better off if some of you just sold your cars and went somewhere else... Or even better, forced the firmware upgrade on you for a number of reasons. I really don't understand why some of you are being so completely unreasonable and irrational about this. The constant whining in post after post, thread after thread, about V8, AP restrictions, etc... gets really old after awhile. We get it, you're unhappy with what Tesla has done... Do you really need to remind us about your dissatisfaction in virtually every thread that touches your "concerns"?

Jeff
Do you disagree that they have testing and QC issues? A lot of the posts you painted with that broad brush are about that.

Do you disagree that they have testing and QC issues? A lot of the posts you painted with that broad brush are about that.
This. Exactly this. There appears to not be a good regression testing approach and QA/QC team.

They fix bugs, and then they bring them back! (2 from the top of my head - equalizer settings not sticking, then it was fixed, now it's back. Rear thump was happening, fixed, and now it's back).

Reactions: msnow
Also for the people complaining (you know who you are) about the complainers (you know who they are), why not just the complainers on ignore? You'll see some replies, but if it's "the same people constantly", and you put them on ignore, threads will look mighty clean.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Also for the people complaining (you know who you are) about the complainers (you know who they are), why not just the complainers on ignore? You'll see some replies, but if it's "the same people constantly", and you put them on ignore, threads will look mighty clean.

You asked for it, but since you're complaining about the people complaining about the complainers, I had to put you on "ignore".

But I am not complaining.

• Funny
Reactions: Max* and msnow