Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot buddy code is changed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they ban you from AP/FSD. May be report to NHTSA as well.
I disagreed because this is squarely the responsibility of Tesla to close the obvious cheats to their driver monitoring.

At some point it becomes sufficiently difficult to defeat that those who wish to do so and have the means & knowledge are few in number, and that reduces risks substantially.

Just like with normal driving, there are bad drivers everywhere who end up causing fatalities. The idea is to minimize the numbers.

They should continue to work on the cabin camera monitoring as well. (Static image detection, etc.)

If the system is so easy to defeat that anyone can do it, that’s on Tesla.

At some point Tesla also needs to evaluate whether it is safer to not disable AP, but I doubt they are there yet. (There is a whole other viewpoint on this - Green has discussed this before - you don’t want to remove driver assistance when it is most needed.). Punishing the driver doesn’t make sense. The system should be set up to maximize driver engagement with the driving task.

You minimize accidents by various means, including punishing the person cheating.
If someone is sleeping behind the wheel, not watching the road, etc.... then I agree with you. People are definitely overreacting about this, lol. You can have a wheel weight and still be very attentive; having your fingers on the wheel compared to on your knee 2 inches away is not going to make a difference.

I wonder if the disengagement only happens if you have FSD Beta turned on in the settings.

I have FSD Beta, but it’s disabled in the settings. And I just did a test with Autopilot after getting the 10.69.3.1 update. Long story short: after 10 minutes without touching the steering wheel, all I got was a typical “nag” rather than a forced disengagement.

Full story: I strapped a weight tightly to my steering wheel to simulate a cheat device and drove on the highway with Autopilot engaged without touching the steering wheel. After 10 minutes, I only got a little beep and a small message on the bottom-left of the screen asking me to “Apply slight turning force to steering wheel”. A quick tug on the wheel and the message went away. After another 10 minutes, the same thing happened again. No forced disengagements.

I’ll try another test tomorrow to see if a scroll wheel turn after 9 minutes prevents even the nag.

I wonder if the disengagement only happens if you have FSD Beta turned on in the settings.

I have FSD Beta, but it’s disabled in the settings. And I just did a test with Autopilot after getting the 10.69.3.1 update. Long story short: after 10 minutes without touching the steering wheel, all I got was a typical “nag” rather than a forced disengagement.

Full story: I strapped a weight tightly to my steering wheel to simulate a cheat device and drove on the highway with Autopilot engaged without touching the steering wheel. After 10 minutes, I only got a little beep and a small message on the bottom-left of the screen asking me to “Apply slight turning force to steering wheel”. A quick tug on the wheel and the message went away. After another 10 minutes, the same thing happened again. No forced disengagements.

I’ll try another test tomorrow to see if a scroll wheel turn after 9 minutes prevents even the nag.
Thanks for your input and its valuable reference. All I got was force disengagement without any nag ahead unfortunately. Are you refresh/ refresh refresh model with carbin camera?

Exactly. Why would a weight be more dangerous if the driver is still paying attention?

Genuinely curious what thought processes people have
Group think combined with lack of critical thinking skills. If they simply used logic to think about it and if they also considered why Tesla intentionally programmed the AP/FSD software to allow you to adjust stereo volume as an alternative to holding the steering wheel, then they would get it…

Plus the current video on teslas website CLEARLY demonstrates proper use of AP/FSD. Otherwise, why would that video still be there?

People nod off all the time while driving.

People have medical emergencies while driving, sometimes dying behind the wheel.

If properly used, a Tesla vehicle will nag, warn, then alert the driver of inattention. That alarm could wake them up. Otherwise, the car will turn on the hazard lights and begin slowing in the lane until it's at a complete stop.

How does a wheel weight aid in these cases?

Reactions: clydeiii
People nod off all the time while driving.

People have medical emergencies while driving, sometimes dying behind the wheel.

If properly used, a Tesla vehicle will nag, warn, then alert the driver of inattention. That alarm could wake them up. Otherwise, the car will turn on the hazard lights and begin slowing in the lane until it's at a complete stop.

How does a wheel weight aid in these cases?
Wheel weight would aid in that the nags and alarms wouldnt wake me up from a good and seemingly needed nap

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy