Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had three alarming incidents with TACC this weekend. The first two were on the winding Sea to Sky Highway between Whistler and Vancouver, and I probably shouldn't have been using TACC. Both behaviours were about the same, with TACC seeing a car coming in the opposite direction at 90 km/h and braking hard because it couldn't tell the car wasn't in my lane (because of the curves I assume).

The third time, in the dark last night at 60 km/h on a wide, straight highway, felt a lot more dangerous with collision warning and very hard braking when going under an overhead traffic light on a steep downslope. I had cars around me, but not too close and no hard was done, but this was enough of a scare to make me wonder if I want to use TACC for now. For this one I submitted a bug report.

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD and DJ 240V
I've had TACC give me a collision warning and brake suddenly a couple of times when near overpasses or if a large truck is in the lane adjacent to me, but it resumed speed faster than I could react both times. The braking lasted only a fraction of a second (although it slowed me by 10mph or so each time).

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD
I've had TACC give me a collision warning and brake suddenly a couple of times when near overpasses or if a large truck is in the lane adjacent to me, but it resumed speed faster than I could react both times. The braking lasted only a fraction of a second (although it slowed me by 10mph or so each time).
This happened to me for about 3 days on my way home from work with a certain overpass sign, noticed today it no longer brakes...so I guess its learning

This happened to me for about 3 days on my way home from work with a certain overpass sign, noticed today it no longer brakes...so I guess its learning

Do we know that we have ongoing learning available to cars continuously (or local learning in one car)? Is that how the system works? I assumed that this data will all need to be processed to create new decision trees that are rolled out in updates.

I'm having a similar experience since the last update. This morning for the first time the message didn't want to go away at all during my hour long commute. Usually it just shows up when I get in the car and disappears after a while. Hope it will be working again when I drive home tonight.

Yep - same thing happened to me today. Usually the error goes away within a minute of starting the drive, but the error message did not go away this evening, and I had no CC or Autosteer for a 40 minute, traffic-filled drive. I now use the "Report a Bug" feature every single time I see the message in the hopes that Tesla can figure out why this error is so frequent and so sporadic.

I'm wondering if part of the issue is Tesla's autopilot servers. I did get the message once when I started the car without an LTE signal and then it quickly went away after cell reception was reestablished...

Yep - same thing happened to me today. Usually the error goes away within a minute of starting the drive, but the error message did not go away this evening, and I had no CC or Autosteer for a 40 minute, traffic-filled drive. I now use the "Report a Bug" feature every single time I see the message in the hopes that Tesla can figure out why this error is so frequent and so sporadic.

I'm wondering if part of the issue is Tesla's autopilot servers. I did get the message once when I started the car without an LTE signal and then it quickly went away after cell reception was reestablished...

I took mine to the service center last Friday. I was one of the "lucky" 1000 to receive the original update. However, my camera never calibrated until the second update. Now it works sporadically, with the TACC and autosteer cutting out mid drive, often when I am closing in on the vehicle in front of me. I took it in because Elon's tweet suggested some cars, especially those that don't calibrate, need an adjustment to the camera pitch angle.

I told the service advisor this and they at first blew it off that I need to wait for a firmware fix. But I showed them my timestamp logs I have kept for when the features cut out. They said they'd look into it more. 2 hours later they said nothing was wrong with my camera, there is a known issue with the firmware and it should be fixed soon. I hope that they are right! My AP 2.0 is basically nonfunctional since I can't trust it not to cut out at the worst possible time.

Here is the official comments on my service visit:
"Known issue with the DAS ECU booting up slowly, which will make the gateway think DAS is mia, tripping this alert temporarily. Will be fixed in one of the upcoming future firmware versions. Firmware will be downloaded to the vehicle over the air."

• Helpful
Reactions: Ohji
Had a chance to use HW2 AP in heavy traffic yesterday (Arizona Loop 101 freeway near Scottsdale). Was in middle lane surrounded by traffic, and car suddenly pulls to right towards a large truck I was passing. I'm sure if I had not quickly taken control that it would have hit the truck. Not a confidence booster.

• Helpful
Reactions: DJ 240V and NerdUno
"Known issue with the DAS ECU booting up slowly, which will make the gateway think DAS is mia, tripping this alert temporarily. Will be fixed in one of the upcoming future firmware versions. Firmware will be downloaded to the vehicle over the air."

Thanks @TslaDoc, I think that explains the "Drivers assistance features unavailable" messages that many are receiving when starting their trip. I haven't seen many folks claiming that it cut out mid-drive like you have experienced however. Hopefully the firmware update will fix it for you.

I was one of the "lucky" 1000 to receive the original update.

Does that mean you would have preferred not to receive the update? I was jealous of the lucky 1000 - you should be happy you got it.

I wonder if there aren't significant firmware differences between 17.3.2 and 17.3.15. I have had 5 "lucky" opportunities to use HW2 AP for >1mi and each has been satisfactory. I have 17.3.15.

Those that have unsatisfactory performance, do you have 17.3.2?

I have 17.3.2. Fortunately, once the DAS features become available, they remain so for the rest of the trip (I've never had it cut out mid trip like @jldf310. Frequently, the DAS not available message shows up and then goes away in 20-30 seconds, but occasionally, it shows up and lasts for the entire drive. I don't mind the random error message, but the assistance features seem to want to become disabled at the worst possible times. I couldn't care less if the crippled autosteer is unavailable, but don't take way my TACC! :D

I tried using Autosteer a few times yesterday while in the inside lane. Every time I tried enabling Autosteer, it would try to move a foot or two to the right. It was a bit too close for comfort so I tried guiding it back. It would then return to hugging the right lane line. I gave up, disabled Autosteer and just used TACC for the rest of the drive. I realize today that there was a continuous concrete (jersey) barrier along the left side of the road. Perhaps it was possible cause of the right lane line hugging behavior.

Are you sure it was hugging the lane, or was it just not what you were used to?

This has been pointed out on here before but the consensus seemed to be that most drivers tend to actually not drive in the middle of the lane, but actually closer to the left side. The car however will actually put you in the actual middle, which may seem too far to the right, especially since the car next to you is most likely too far to the left.

Are you sure it was hugging the lane, or was it just not what you were used to?

This has been pointed out on here before but the consensus seemed to be that most drivers tend to actually not drive in the middle of the lane, but actually closer to the left side. The car however will actually put you in the actual middle, which may seem too far to the right, especially since the car next to you is most likely too far to the left.
Maybe both. I drove the car for about 6 weeks before AutoSteer was enabled and I realize now that I was probably driving a little to the left of center (based on the lane lines and car on the IC). Since receiving the 17.3.15 update, I've noticed the position of the car and try driving more in the center of the lane...but when trying to enable Autosteer from that position yesterday, it kept moving even farther to the right. I had a passenger in the passenger seat who agreed it was way too close to the right lane line. I tried it multiple times (all from the inside lane) before giving up.

Most people drive left of center because they can see the left edge of the car clearly and can get close to the left side without risking going "over". It's harder to see where the right edge of the car is lined up, so it safer to cheat left. Interesting that so many people do it subconsciously and never notice.

I drive a little left of center only to have a better sight line past traffic ahead of me.

Was hoping there'd be a selectable offset with AP enabled for both this reason, and also to get out of truck worn roads in the rain, Much less prone to hydroplaning when riding the crown of the lane.

Thanks @TslaDoc

Does that mean you would have preferred not to receive the update? I was jealous of the lucky 1000 - you should be happy you got it.

No I am fortunate to be able to have had the update, and I guess the fix came a little before it was rolled out to all HW2 cars. It was just frustrating to not even have basic cruise control for 2 weeks, considering I have a 1 hour commute.

I wonder if there aren't significant firmware differences between 17.3.2 and 17.3.15. I have had 5 "lucky" opportunities to use HW2 AP for >1mi and each has been satisfactory. I have 17.3.15.

Those that have unsatisfactory performance, do you have 17.3.2?

I have 17.3.2. Hopefully the fix is already out there!

I took mine to the service center last Friday. I was one of the "lucky" 1000 to receive the original update. However, my camera never calibrated until the second update. Now it works sporadically, with the TACC and autosteer cutting out mid drive, often when I am closing in on the vehicle in front of me. I took it in because Elon's tweet suggested some cars, especially those that don't calibrate, need an adjustment to the camera pitch angle.

I told the service advisor this and they at first blew it off that I need to wait for a firmware fix. But I showed them my timestamp logs I have kept for when the features cut out. They said they'd look into it more. 2 hours later they said nothing was wrong with my camera, there is a known issue with the firmware and it should be fixed soon. I hope that they are right! My AP 2.0 is basically nonfunctional since I can't trust it not to cut out at the worst possible time.

I did the same thing. Took my MS (P90D) in last Friday after receiving the update (17.3.15), and although my SC crew didn't give me the same run around, they explained the situation exactly as you outlined and said the engineers in Fremont were aware and working on an update. You are not alone!

This is my second post on TMC - after watching the forum for many months, and then I pulled the trigger on my first Tesla MS 60 as a commuter car replacement in October. I was one of the weird cases that had to make a choice between AP1 and AP2 after I ordered my car. I chose AP2 on faith, and have been driving the car myself since delivery in early December. I have enjoyed driving it so much that I have not been too concerned about the wait for EAP. Yesterday I got the update, and took it for a quick spin right after the update installed. I received no camera calibration messages that I can recall, and everything worked immediately. This morning I found enough slow traffic that I could engage about 20 miles of Auto Steer with EAP this morning on the North Dallas Tollway. TACC was already working great, and when the traffic slowed down then I engaged Auto Steer. Turned on fine, and even followed the car in front of me through a new construction zone (a common occurrence on the NTTA). The only concern I had is when the car would hug the right side of the lane, seeming to be pretty close to the cars in adjacent lanes, but still within the lines. The steering wheel is constantly moving, making micro adjustments - even at very slow speeds. It almost seems (totally guessing here) as if the front camera is the only one driving the show right now, and that the system is sensing the input from the side sonar (radar?), but is not fully utilizing the cameras on the side pillars in order to see the cars in adjacent lanes. I am making an un-educated guess here, but it seems like the side pillar cameras are not yet fully activated at this point, and that is causing the uncertainty and waffling in the lane. The "lane dancing" feels like the car is trying to hard to play the game, yet has one hand tied behind its back. I never felt like there was any danger, it felt more like a new driver that was uncertain and needed guidance. It seems like there is a key ingredient missing that is pending and yet to be added (hardware and/or software), and when it is turned on, then Auto Steer will be ready for primetime. TACC worked perfectly for me all day. I am having a hard time thinking about driving in any other way now - especially with my 100 mile round trip daily commute. I came to a full stop multiple times behind cars at red lights, and the car smoothly continued on with traffic several minutes later when the light changed, just like I would have done.

Recommendation based on today's experience with TACC - I would turn off the TACC as you approach crowded city driving, especially if you are transitioning from a fast highway (70 MPH) to a more dense city environment with traffic signals. The speed will stay locked at 79 MPH unless you turn off the TACC or adjust it downward for the new speed limits in town. Cars leaving the lane in front of you could cause you to GO REAL FAST depending on where you last left the cruise control. Got a little coffee on my shirt this morning as a result (LOL) but it served as a great reminder of how much fun it was to get through some of the worst traffic in North America. For the first time in a very, very long time, I am excited to go tackle the tollway in the morning. This is why I bought the car, and I know that it will get better over time.
I hope to be tackling the NDT myself when I get my Model 3! :)