Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a blissful 7 hour drive. Left lanekeeping off the entire time, used TACC maybe 30% of the way for straight boring parts.

Portland Or to Spokane Wa USA.

I was thinking about all the AP management I avoided, and felt more relaxed than usual with a drive that long.

My #1 main beef is lane position, especially in corners, even moderately sweeping curves it will drift to the outside and even cross over the lane line. Funny, it doesn't give itself a lane edge warning or beg itself to take over immediately as it's leaving the lane.

My #2 beef, also a show stopper, is the nag force required. It's such a well balanced car that it only takes a light touch on the wheel to keep it in the lane. It takes maybe 2-10 times as much working the wheel to kill the nags, depending. Way easier to just drive it, and I get to have fun setting up for the apex and driving through the corner (even very mild ones, silly way to stay focused).

AP is a piss poor driver all around. Being better than the average driver (half the drivers on the road?) is a stupid low bar. Half the drivers suck donkey balls as drivers and should be banned. Pretty sad level to set for AP.

I'm done using lane keeping, such a fun car to drive manually, and bonus: I avoid rough patches and potholes nearly perfectly!

I fail to see a single benefit of AP. Much more work and worry about if it will do the right thing. Done with it.

I just had a blissful 7 hour drive. Left lanekeeping off the entire time, used TACC maybe 30% of the way for straight boring parts.

Portland Or to Spokane Wa USA.

I was thinking about all the AP management I avoided, and felt more relaxed than usual with a drive that long.

My #1 main beef is lane position, especially in corners, even moderately sweeping curves it will drift to the outside and even cross over the lane line. Funny, it doesn't give itself a lane edge warning or beg itself to take over immediately as it's leaving the lane.

My #2 beef, also a show stopper, is the nag force required. It's such a well balanced car that it only takes a light touch on the wheel to keep it in the lane. It takes maybe 2-10 times as much working the wheel to kill the nags, depending. Way easier to just drive it, and I get to have fun setting up for the apex and driving through the corner (even very mild ones, silly way to stay focused).

AP is a piss poor driver all around. Being better than the average driver (half the drivers on the road?) is a stupid low bar. Half the drivers suck donkey balls as drivers and should be banned. Pretty sad level to set for AP.

I'm done using lane keeping, such a fun car to drive manually, and bonus: I avoid rough patches and potholes nearly perfectly!

I fail to see a single benefit of AP. Much more work and worry about if it will do the right thing. Done with it.
General Ludd approves of this message.

Certainly never seen the car become uncentered taking a bend on a UK motorway, and definitely never crossed a line. We also don't have potholes on motorways. Keeping the car knowing you are there is now second nature, although my one hand's weight approach I'll admit isn't really good driving practice.

Driving a long distance on AutoPilot is most certainly safer for me, and that's largely backed up by Tesla's shared data. Everyone thinks they are above average at driving.

So the very nice Tesla engineer who arrived in a Model 3 just left after 30 minutes.

I explained the autopilot issue (huge issue in phantom braking, hesitancy passing cars and just general overall *sugar*-show of Autopilot at the moment. I mentioned the fact that it had gotten considerably worse since the cameras had the “hi-def upgrade”. Before I could even finish my rant he stopped me and said it’s exactly the same on his vehicle. He said he feels it is so bad he has stopped using Autopilot and now only uses cruise-control which he said was “marginally better”. He also stated that his car tries to come to a grounding halt when he passes some slip roads - mine does too. He said it‘s not going to be any issue with my vehicle but checked the cameras anyway and as he suspected everything was fine. I asked how this will ever get resolved and he said by service call-outs like mine and the engineer’s report indicating it’s a software issue.

The good news is he did install the rear harness recall and said the Highland will indeed lan on our shores in the next few months.

IMG_3389.jpeg

I’ve turned that feature off as ours would prompt to override a stop for lights in tunnels or occasional lighting on motorways. But there have been an obvious , albeit mistaken reason for those - Hindhead Tunnel lighting on A3 almost guaranteed to detect flying traffic lights that would have triggered.
Camera ready and waiting to grab a shot of this dead cert… Now stop line control disabled no driver override needed to prevent it stopping mid tunnel. With many overhead lights, that got rather tiresome when TACC was engaged.

1696865423850.jpeg

Driving a long distance on AutoPilot is most certainly safer for me, and that's largely backed up by Tesla's shared data.
Tesla's data reports are not apples-to-apples comparisons or controlled experiments that reveal causality. Drivers turn on AutoPilot in easier cases and take back control in difficult/dicey cases.

I want to contribute to the topic of Phantom breaking when overtaking

It was a while since I had a long motorway run, but I did not experience this in the past using the autopilot. The car was suddenly breaking on a fast lane when overtaking a vehicle. The lane in front was absolutely clear, but when I level with a car on the left my car suddenly breaks as if expecting the car to move to my lane (which had no intentions of doing so). This happened more than a dozen times each drive, especially when overtaking vans and mini vans, but also other passenger cars that drive close to the line between the lanes. I am familiar with the random phantom breaking (and who not?), but those were random, not when overtaking. In the end, I had to hoover my foot over “gas” to give a little nudge when the car breaks, a kind of a confirmation that it is OK to overtake. Weird, maybe my car is a bit shy and needs an encouragement to overtake on autopilot!

I really wonder how the FSD works in the US watching all those hands free driving Youtube videos in heavy traffic when my Autopilot hesitates to overtake on an empty lane.

Software: 2023.32.6; EA (no FSD); all cameras recently calibrated.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
I want to contribute to the topic of Phantom breaking when overtaking

It was a while since I had a long motorway run, but I did not experience this in the past using the autopilot. The car was suddenly breaking on a fast lane when overtaking a vehicle. The lane in front was absolutely clear, but when I level with a car on the left my car suddenly breaks as if expecting the car to move to my lane (which had no intentions of doing so). This happened more than a dozen times each drive, especially when overtaking vans and mini vans, but also other passenger cars that drive close to the line between the lanes. I am familiar with the random phantom breaking (and who not?), but those were random, not when overtaking. In the end, I had to hoover my foot over “gas” to give a little nudge when the car breaks, a kind of a confirmation that it is OK to overtake. Weird, maybe my car is a bit shy and needs an encouragement to overtake on autopilot!

I really wonder how the FSD works in the US watching all those hands free driving Youtube videos in heavy traffic when my Autopilot hesitates to overtake on an empty lane.

Software: 2023.32.6; EA (no FSD); all cameras recently calibrated.
Been like that for me for a while too. Last trip (7 hour drive) I just didn't use AP, and barely used TACC. Random PB is almost gone for me though, not my main issue anymore.

Reactions: SergeyP
I had AP+FSD slow from 30 mph to 16 mph on a clear and sunny day, showing nothing on the IP presentation and with not a single vehicle ahead on a straight, dry road. I’m sure the car behind was as mystified as I was. The displayed limit was unchanged too. Sort of like slowing for significant visual degradation, but without the warning.

I had AP+FSD slow from 30 mph to 16 mph on a clear and sunny day, showing nothing on the IP presentation and with not a single vehicle ahead on a straight, dry road. I’m sure the car behind was as mystified as I was. The displayed limit was unchanged too. Sort of like slowing for significant visual degradation, but without the warning.
Sounds like that was not on a motorway or divided A road. That’s what FSD city streets beta is for in which case all bets are off with how the car behaves as it’s being used outside it’s operational designed domain.

In fact, it’s worse than the previous version if that was possible.
Interesting. I upgraded to 32.9 a couple of days ago, and as yet have not had a single instance of the brake issue.

I've driven the same motorway route that would previously trigger a half dozen or so brake interventions, and the car has behaved impeccably. Even had a couple of cars moving towards my nearside white line, and my car has continued on as normal.

Traffic was relatively light though - i have a major test at lunch today where I will know for sure if the the issue has been 100% addressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer