Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot limitations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is the only car that makes serious OTA of major features. The traffic lights were not in Tesla vehicles until 2020. So, with Tesla, you may expect that the cross-traffic avoidance will improve over time even if it is not there yet. With most other cars, you have no chance for updates at all.

Other companies are following suite with major features over OTA.

Which is going to make firmware level on the car at the time of the accident a major part of any accident investigation, and arm chair internet quartbacking.

Reactions: alexgr
thanks for the explanation. I wasn't having much luck reaching a definitive conclusion on whether standard AP has this feature or not. Seems not.
I don’t think anyone here has proven or disproven that standard AP has this feature. The manual implies that it does. Hopefully someone without FSD can confirm.

The fact that you didn’t order FSD doesn’t prevent you from adding it later, either as an option or subscription. You’ll pay $2k more for the option now than you would have paid when you ordered your car.

Tesla has distinguished itself from other carmakers for almost a decade by building sleek electric cars with industry-leading driving ranges and by developing new technology aimed at one day creating a fully autonomous, self-driving car. Though it has made significant strides in automated driving, owners should not rely on Tesla’s driver assistance features to necessarily add safety or to make driving easier.
What are your views on reverse cameras?

In my view, in this day and age these should be essential standard safety features in every new car.

I for one am more than happy to have as much safety assistance as possible.

I don’t think anyone here has proven or disproven that standard AP has this feature. The manual implies that it does. Hopefully someone without FSD can confirm.

The fact that you didn’t order FSD doesn’t prevent you from adding it later, either as an option or subscription. You’ll pay $2k more for the option now than you would have paid when you ordered your car.
I'm only interested in a small subset of FSD features and don't see myself paying anywhere near 12K for those. I'm happy to wait for AP to evolve and if it doesn't, maybe the next car (from whatever maker) will have what I want.

I'm only interested in a small subset of FSD features and don't see myself paying anywhere near 12K for those.
I have FSD in both of our cars, but I paid a lot less than people are paying now. I've driven a rental Model 3 with basic AP, and the only FSD feature I missed was Auto Lane Change, but I wouldn't pay $12k for that. I use Navigate on Autopilot but can definitely live without it, and I never use Summon or Autopark. I rarely use Autopilot off the interstate, so I wouldn't miss the traffic light and stop sign control either.