Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in San Diego and there are two places miles away and the other is 535. I was thinking that with autopilot on these roads that are most highway, I could go to sleep for a few hours while traveling. One would require a stop. Is it possible to nap or completely zone out with autopilot?

• Disagree
Reactions: strangecosmos
Read the Tesla website. AP (at this point) still requires your attention and for you to be able to take over AT ANY TIME.

No naps. Zoning out is debatable, as long as your eyes are on the road and your hand is on the steering wheel. Half the people on the road without AP are zoning out...

Read the Tesla website. AP (at this point) still requires your attention and for you to be able to take over AT ANY TIME.

No naps. Zoning out is debatable, as long as your eyes are on the road and your hand is on the steering wheel. Half the people on the road without AP are zoning out...

Trolling? I don’t know what you mean by that. I read what is says on the website, but it didn’t make sense to me and when I went to the dealer at UTC, they were wish washy on it. Attention to me means hands on the wheel all the time.

Have you read the disclaimer/notes in the car before enabling autopilot feature (driving assist is more appropriate term)? Ultimately you as a driver are responsible for safe driving. Napping is definitely out of the question as long as you are the driver. And yes, hands on the wheel at all times is a good approach.

Not at all right now. Autopilot is not ready for any amount of zoning out without putting yourself at danger. You can sit back and supervise but dangerous situations still develop on a second’s notice that require you to correct the car.

Well, truth be told guys...

Please, go read the Tesla website on Autopilot. Just look at the images and read the text fully.

Autopilot

It says some really wild things. It does NOT even mention that Enhanced Autopilot should be considered a driver's aid only!

That is SO easy to misunderstand. Also, it does not make it at all clear that there actually is no Enhanced Autopilot yet, no Smart Summon yet, no On-ramp, Off-ramp yet... even though the page implies it has all these things. There are vague notes and disclaimers about future updates, but if I were just reading that page to learn about Autopilot (not unreasonable, right, given that it is Tesla's page on Autopilot?), I too would get a completely wrong picture of what AP2 is...

Such as:

Enhanced Autopilot

Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

On-ramp to Off-ramp

Once on the freeway, your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you.

Autosteer+

With the new Tesla Vision cameras, sensors and computing power, your Tesla will navigate tighter, more complex roads.

Smart Summon

With Smart Summon, your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you.

From Home

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, your car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigating urban streets, complex intersections and freeways.

To your Destination

When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

Basically the only thing with a vague disclaimer is a separate box about Full self-driving that has the Design Studio text in it.

On the other hand, it is mentioned more than once:

"Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval."

"Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year."

I know, it could more clear that this is "the promise of the future", but to me it was clear from the first time I read it that the hardware is there, just the software has to catch up.

Regardless, at the current incarnation Autopilot = Driver's Assistance. So don't get fooled people into letting off the steering wheel!

On the other hand, it is mentioned more than once:

"Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval."

Yes, there are these words, but it does not really make it clear that the listed features are the upcoming part - it might also reasonably be read as some other features will continue to come later. And, be that as it may, it omits the mention of a driver's aid - and thus implies this is actual self-driving.

"Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year."

This bit is in a separate box of its own, so it is hard for anyone not following to know exactly where does this apply compared to the other points on the page. It even seems it is a separate thing, and all the other items are part of this "Enhanced Autopilot" that is never mentioned as a driver's aid at all.

I know, it could more clear that this is "the promise of the future", but to me it was clear from the first time I read it that the hardware is there, just the software has to catch up.

It could easily be far more clear that these are promises of the future. They seem to intentionally choose not to make that clear.

The question is: Is the reality reasonably clear to a new customer who does not hang out on places like TMC doing enthusiast-level research into the company? All of Tesla's public-facing materials suggest that EAP is much further along than the reality is, unless you start digging beyond the PR pages and releases. IMO it is not surprising we have people like OP who are confused when Tesla themselves chooses to obfuscate the issue in this manner.

Regardless, at the current incarnation Autopilot = Driver's Assistance. So don't get fooled people into letting off the steering wheel!

No argument from me there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superendo
@AnxietyRanger, not arguing your point :). You are right that we are somewhat different than an average prospective customer visiting Tesla's website for the first time, or simply someone who is not up to speed with technology.

There's definitely a room to make these statements clearer, so people reading this won't feel like it already exists today.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I live in San Diego and there are two places miles away and the other is 535. I was thinking that with autopilot on these roads that are most highway, I could go to sleep for a few hours while traveling. One would require a stop. Is it possible to nap or completely zone out with autopilot?
Absolutely. Whether or not you will wake up again is a different question.

Reactions: croman
As for whether or not you can safely take your hands off the wheel - of course you can, in all seriousness. Some of the old timers get cranky if somebody mentions this truth - but it is truth. Safe is measured statistically.

1 - There is no data which indicates that having a couple fingers resting on the rim vs having your hands resting in your lap ready to take over reduces crash rates in the event of a takeover. There is however a lot of hot air with no data put forth as gospel, undergirded by implied metaethical frameworks for which the nannies offer no support (usually deontological but sometimes consequentialist mixed in).

2 - Elon built autopilot to allow hands free operation originally way back in 2015 - and it was beeaauuttiiiffuuullll. The laws did not change since then - but his lawyers and PR people most likely won some internal battles. Stupid human tricks on YouTube like hopping in the back seat, etc ruined hands free for all of us. Whether or not some folks have quietly rigged "solutions" to the idiot nag - well, we don't talk bout that round here...

...hands free...

I drove hands-free initially for a very short time when I first got my AP2 7 months ago.

I quickly realized that if my hand(s) are not ready take over at any second, my reaction to get back to the steering wheel would be too late when the system needs my help.

The data would not show that I got into accidents handsfree more than current hands-on because there were no accidents either way.

However, I do feel better when I can monitor the torque of the system and know immediately whether it steers correctly or not and I can adjust it even before it gets out of control.