Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot rolling out to all AP2 HW cars today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I downloaded today's update to AP2. We'll see how autosteer works. @nhartwell's experience was the same as I had, with lots of small adjustments instead of a smooth path down the middle of the lane. My dashboard says "some driver assistance features unavailable," (still). The SC in Burbank said that that notice was going to go away with this update, but perhaps it always relies on calibration first.

I got this message too but got rid of it by using wiper blades on windows (also from my AP1 car making sure radar on front bumper and sensors/cameras around car don't have any bugs stuck to them).
I was able to then do scroll wheel reset on instrument panel and main screens which cleared the error messages.

Updated at 2am, went for my first drive around 11am. TACC available immediately and works quite well. Even in a situation coming up to a red light and the car I was following changed lanes to turn. Was ready to manually hit the brakes but the MX saw another car stopped at the light and slowed down to a stop appropriately. Much better than my Audis ever did.

Unfortunately I can't even try auto steer. The only 4 lane 55mph highway around here which has a double wide center turning lane and wide shoulders won't work. Says "auto steer unavailable for this road". Bummer. That just leaves the interstate which is 75 & 80mph limit. There might be some times with little traffic where I can get away with 45 just to try it. So far haven't been able to. Watching the lines on the display dance around, if the car was following them it would feel like I was the steel ball in a pinball game anyway.

I'm a little disappointed to read that increased speed limits and other roads may still be months away, but we can always hope for sooner.

Auto steer unavailable on the streets in my area. 40-45mph signs. Only TACC functional. This is consistent with Elon's tweet that autosteer is currently useful only on the freeway, packed with traffic. Twitter

California.

Last edited:
Got the update. TACC works well. Autosteer very jerky. Steering wheel was constantly moving slightly left and right to maintain center position on a straight road. Uncomfortable from my perspective.

Can anyone comment on how this compares to an AP1 car. On my AP1 car I do feel micro adjustments constantly which is annoying, but it's not terrible. If I wasn't holding the steering wheel I might not really notice it. It simply feels unnecessary, and they should give it a bit more freedom. Mine doesn't ping pong in the lane (unless there is something wrong with the lines/lane or some fluke thing going on).

I drove a couple miles on the interstate when traffic allowed at 45mph, autosteer seemed to work fairly well, only a very slight "ping pong", too bad I won't really be able to use it at all :(.

A new glitch started for me, I kept hearing a ding ding sound but couldn't for the life me discover why. I finally realized the car was locking and unlocking itself constantly while going down the road. I stopped and open / shut the doors, didn't make a difference. This didn't happen when I left home this morning, but started after supercharging headed back home / shrug. Will email Tesla with a bug report.

I just came back from driving around. Amazing. Love it. I never had a car that had adaptive cruise control.. was much fun. I couldn't find any roads that were 45 mph and acceptable to test auto steer. So far so good.. ride was smooth, comfortable and music system sounded fantastic. I like the way Tesla releases small updates here and there.. lets me get use to what I have so far.

mo!

• Love
Reactions: cdub and disagree
Does anyone know if summon is enabled on AP2 with the latest firmware? Updated this morning and can't seem to figure out how to use it. Thanks!

No summon yet for AP2 cars, likely have to wait a few releases for that one. This was the last AP1 feature to rollout, took a full year after AP1 announcement. For AP2, it could end up being something different as eventually summon could take on a whole new meaning for AP2 cars (in like years ahead).

Enjoy - I think you guys will be at true parity within 6 months maybe.

Reactions: maratd
- I've driven AP1 for 8 months. It was very good in most all experiences.
- Installed v8.0(17.3.2) today on new AP2 car, and each post I've read, it's about similar for me.
- There will be camera learning/calibration (image attached) and I got thru that today (after ~40 miles of driving). Now I think the real learning will happen, so lane lines, cars and other objects can be detected.
. I'm also seeing jittering lane lines during calibration, like others, and will not trust them, this is what we are expected to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.JPG
    IMG_2125.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 84
They're doing it in the order of complexity.

TACC is the easiest especially if you don't worry about situations where a customer shouldn't use TACC
FCW is fairly easy since you it's a warning only system. You can go back and fix having too many false positives later on.
AP and lane keeping are similar features and rely on the same info. They also had maps from the fleet learning to help out with this.
AEB is one of the most difficult of all. It has to work without false positives and requires the most in-house testing before it ever touches a customers car.

I don't have any issue with how they're delivery it. I do take issue about how it was communicated to the customer, and how it's still communicated to the customers. But, that's been talked about extensively elsewhere. For me person I'm holding on the sidelines until EAB reaches a point where it meets my expectations and then I'll upgrade to AP2.

What do you mean by AP in that bolded portion? Surely not Auto Pilot, if so what do you think that entails? Two letter acronyms can be just as confusing as Three Letter Acronyms (TLA for short)

Can anyone comment on how this compares to an AP1 car. On my AP1 car I do feel micro adjustments constantly which is annoying, but it's not terrible. If I wasn't holding the steering wheel I might not really notice it. It simply feels unnecessary, and they should give it a bit more freedom. Mine doesn't ping pong in the lane (unless there is something wrong with the lines/lane or some fluke thing going on).

I did not own HW1 but did drive one many times with auto steer. This is definitely different from my recall. There is a slight juggling back and forth of the steering wheel when moving 45mph down a straight highway road. I assume this was the same when Autopilot 1.0 was first released?

Can someone please explain why Tesla needed to "start from scratch" with autopilot when additional hardware was added. Can't get my head around that concept.

I did not own HW1 but did drive one many times with auto steer. This is definitely different from my recall. There is a slight juggling back and forth of the steering wheel when moving 45mph down a straight highway road. I assume this was the same when Autopilot 1.0 was first released?

Can someone please explain why Tesla needed to "start from scratch" with autopilot when additional hardware was added. Can't get my head around that concept.

Off and on in releases people have stated some bouncing left/right has occurred. In general AP1 stays pretty centered in the lane. Be careful though as AP1 (and likely AP2) still can misread often in clearly marked turns and interpret a lane incorrectly. I notice this often when it has issues, then picks up on a lane on edge of freeway say to left and decides to try to move into it, usually in a case that it would move into a wall - and side collision won't stop it. AP1 lane keep is definitely for straight/clean freeways and always will be.

Tesla had to start over as they switched from utilizing purely cameras on the front using MobileEye's drivers/software, to their own custom implementation. That means they have had to rewrite all that base code to utilize front radar as the primary and their camera suite now from scratch and have no dependency for AP2+ on MobileEye anymore, just need to maintain support for NVidia's processing hardware. Hopefully all this will give them competitive edge in time, heck even the possibility to deploy their suite to another brand one day with similar setup.

No summon yet for AP2 cars, likely have to wait a few releases for that one. This was the last AP1 feature to rollout, took a full year after AP1 announcement. For AP2, it could end up being something different as eventually summon could take on a whole new meaning for AP2 cars (in like years ahead).

Enjoy - I think you guys will be at true parity within 6 months maybe.
Yes, summon is not enabled in my 17.3.2, though camera learning is still in early stages.