Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot rolling out to all AP2 HW cars today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I foolishly went with the premier trim of the Chevy Volt so I can get access to the driver confidence packages 1 and 2.

Lane keep which is Chevys auto steer is worthless.
Foward Collision Warning and associated automatic emergency braking is unreliable
Automatic high beams is useless
Auto park is useless in most situations

How do I get some OTA patches to fix this stuff? Or can I get a credit for over promise and under delivery?

Glad this was a lease.

I keep hearing that we are all Beta testers for AP and some are upset. Wouldn't you rather have a company collect data and always tweak things to make it better. It will never be perfect as we live In an imperfect world where u seen things happen all the time.

This one is a bit of a hard one because it entirely depends on just how beta we're talking about.

Most people expect some level of tweaking like what happened with AP1. There wasn't any significant tweaking because more of AP1 was provided by MobileEye, and Tesla simply had to activate it. My experience with AP1 in the beginning was it always worked on par with what I expected from a given feature. Most of the limitations seemed more to do with the hardware (like summons, or blindspot monitoring) and not so much with the software. They did make some tweaks here, and there to make things smoother. They improved AP a far bit with the fleet learning data. But, even if they hadn't changed anything I would still be pretty content with AP1 that came way back in Oct 2015. I got used to the quirks pretty quickly when they released it. It certainly wasn't as bad as the atrocious USB bugs in initial 8.0 release.

With AP2 everything is being built from scratch essentially, and the hardware for it was rushed into service because of how badly the relationship was with MobileEye. They're also under the gun to get EAP software out the door not just to appease customers that have unrealistic timeline specifications (that were ridiculously optimistic on Tesla's website), but to appease the bean counters to start taking the money allocated to the release of the feature. They also released a small batch of updates only to 1000 cars in Cali. Where that software had some issues. So all things combined it leaves the impression that initially with AP2 the customers are going to be beta testers on a much more involved level than they were expecting. You guys even get a special email address to use in communicating with them. AP1 owners didn't have that.

I hope Tesla will do a Windows 10 kinda thing where they allow people to fast track updates, or to slow track updates depending on what they prefer. That might alleviate some concerns of people who want a more proven release. The complexity of the SW, and the uniqueness of specific situations means it takes a considerable amount of testing. It's really hard to do enough testing with only simulations. and a small internal test fleet. At some point you have to leverage the entire fleet to get the data you need. I would say it's necessary with Tesla's aggressive timeframe to self-driving.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Seems as though many of you are so enamored with Tesla that you accept the over promising and lack of delivery of very important safety functions. Per the link to the article in The Verge, this long awaited AP2 software will NOT have critical safety features now available in practically every car sold in the US. To me, the features such as Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), lane changing warning and assist, etc. are significantly more important than autopilot. I would have traded off autopilot for these functions in a nano second.
No word from Tesla as to when these critical functions will be provided.
Lets all stop accepting poor execution and demand we get a quality product as promised with zero defects.

They're doing it in the order of complexity.

TACC is the easiest especially if you don't worry about situations where a customer shouldn't use TACC
FCW is fairly easy since you it's a warning only system. You can go back and fix having too many false positives later on.
AP and lane keeping are similar features and rely on the same info. They also had maps from the fleet learning to help out with this.
AEB is one of the most difficult of all. It has to work without false positives and requires the most in-house testing before it ever touches a customers car.

I don't have any issue with how they're delivery it. I do take issue about how it was communicated to the customer, and how it's still communicated to the customers. But, that's been talked about extensively elsewhere. For me person I'm holding on the sidelines until EAB reaches a point where it meets my expectations and then I'll upgrade to AP2.

Similar observations to others:
-No calibration required at all. I did have the shadow update running for a few days prior.
-In Houston, 45 MPH is unfortunately useless. Even driving in the far right lane of that speed of a major highway invites road rage from others.
-Autosteer was disabled on a number of "highways" where it would have been perfect to try at 45 MPH. It would only allow me to activate on larger interstates around the city.
-When i did slow down to 45 MPH, the autosteer was jerking back and forth to keep centered in the lane; almost looked like a drunk driver. You can see this as well when sitting still at a light at the lane markers are dancing around on the instrument display.
-FCW on the medium setting didn't trigger in a few situations where I would have expedited it to.
-Hit or miss on the display showing a car in front that is stopped when approaching a red light. Sometimes the car in front would show; other times it would not display until the car in front started moving again.

Good progress, but @ 45 MPH I can only see using it for a few sections of highway when traffic is terrible.

I have had access to autosteer since 1/1/2017 on AP2 Hardware and got it engaged for maybe a total of 10 minutes.

I imagine Tesla got data from users in the SF Bay Area because rush hour traffic could have limited many cars to 35MPH and the highways like 5, 99, 237, 101, etc are well marked enough for autosteer to work.

Hope to see autosteer up to 75MPH soon. Usage will increase dramatically.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nosken
I downloaded today's update to AP2. We'll see how autosteer works. @nhartwell's experience was the same as I had, with lots of small adjustments instead of a smooth path down the middle of the lane. My dashboard says "some driver assistance features unavailable," (still). The SC in Burbank said that that notice was going to go away with this update, but perhaps it always relies on calibration first.

Its Sunday Jan 22 at 10am. I have watched patiently as many of you have received the update. Im in Southern CA: so much for the roll out happening in CA first. I just received my notification and have started the upload.

This site has been great as a new Tesla S owner. Thank you all for the very informative post.

Reactions: MXWing
Similar observations to others:
-No calibration required at all. I did have the shadow update running for a few days prior.
-In Houston, 45 MPH is unfortunately useless. Even driving in the far right lane of that speed of a major highway invites road rage from others.
-Autosteer was disabled on a number of "highways" where it would have been perfect to try at 45 MPH. It would only allow me to activate on larger interstates around the city.
-When i did slow down to 45 MPH, the autosteer was jerking back and forth to keep centered in the lane; almost looked like a drunk driver. You can see this as well when sitting still at a light at the lane markers are dancing around on the instrument display.
-FCW on the medium setting didn't trigger in a few situations where I would have expedited it to.
-Hit or miss on the display showing a car in front that is stopped when approaching a red light. Sometimes the car in front would show; other times it would not display until the car in front started moving again.

Good progress, but @ 45 MPH I can only see using it for a few sections of highway when traffic is terrible.
Add: Does not read speed limit signs. Relies only on GPS speed limit data. I had a loaner AP1 MX for two weeks. It was reading signs where GPS data is not available for speed limits. No such luck as of yet for AP2. I am also a Houston driver; Conroe area.

Got the update yesterday night on HW2. Tried today morning. Similar experiences as stated above. Being a Sunday, cannot really try 45mph on highways today. But I still did and it's very jerky. I have not seen this much correction happening on HW1 autosteer. TACC detecting cars parked on the side on residential roads and causing the car to go decelerate and accelerate. Beware of the previous setting you might have put on the Relative or Absolute speed limit warning. Those are the numbers the TACC will default to when you push the handle inward to activate TACC. I had set it to +15 mph and now had to bring it down to +5mph for safety.

Camera calibration works best, when I wipe my lenses I guess. Here in Switzerland its -11°C and all roads are being defrosted with salt.
So wiping the camera will be necessary on a daily base at least in Winter.

Still awaiting update.... Irgend en Schwiizer wo das verreckte Update fürs 2.0 scho i de Büchs hät?