Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot seems useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a joke. Auto Pilot. Nothing has been enhanced on my 2021 MSP since 9/1/21 ref to so called Auto Pilot. It does nothing better or has new features since then. Ok I take it back…I got Farts, games, light show and a few third world languages. After subscribing to so called FSD for 12 months I dumped it, since I found no useful benefits in it. My Toyota RAV4 and Porsche do better cruise control and lane assist than the MSP.

Reactions: SHT54 and kavyboy
Drove 139 miles yesterday 98% on autopilot, saved me mental energy. Far from useless. Greatest feature of any car I’ve ever driven.
CB3439C6-E376-4976-83C2-42277FBC5DCB.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Drove 139 miles yesterday 98% on autopilot, saved me mental energy. Far from useless. Greatest feature of any car I’ve ever driven.

Haha. Ok, you should have had a radar version....following distance that worked (distance of 1, proper acceleration), proper speeds, stop and go that didn't spill coffee, slowed down in advance on the interstate when cars were stopped ahead, and on and on and on...

Imagine if the engineering effort/talent and $44 billion were put into the program....

I recently completed a 1000 mile round trip that I take often using Navigate on Autopilot ("NOA") from the latest FSDb v 10.69.25.2. This is the upgraded basic Autopilot you get with the EAP/FSD package that includes the automatic lane changing and transition from highway to highway (as well as exit ramps). My drive up was one of the worst I have ever had on NOA since I got the initial version in October of 2018. I had lots of phantom braking episodes including one where I was being followed closely (but not "too closely") by a car behind me that almost lost control when he was forced to lay on the brakes. And the new lane selection neural networks make automatic lane changes completely useless. Even trying all the settings (Mild, Average, Mad Max), the lane selection is non-sensical: it makes crazy decisions on when to pass and when not too despite (apparently) having all the knowledge it needs of what's ahead, what's coming up from behind, etc. And it no longer gets in the proper lane to take highway transitions so it now misses them, again despite having driven this path dozens of times over the last 4+ years.

On the return leg I simply engaged Autosteer/TACC (basic autopilot), and that was much more helpful - handled much of the workload and reduced fatigue without all the craziness. However, because I have EAP/FSD, I do still have user-initiated automatic lane changes, and those are still a little helpful. But NOA was the feature of EAP/FSD that I actually used and I have always considered the rest (Autosteer on City Streets, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon, Stopsign/Stoplight Control, etc.) parlor tricks to show off to your friends without any real utility. Now, with the NOA essentially neutered by the latest release, I truly regret the EAP/FSD purchase and wish I could get that money back (total of $7000 in June of 2018).

Echoing others, it's really a shame that Elon Musk's goal of creating an L5 "robotaxi" of every Tesla car -- a goal that the vast majority of experts (and myself since late 2019) see as impossible to achieve with the current hardware -- has taken all the effort and resources yet not only has that goal not been achieved, it has rendered the one truly useful feature NOA (which was close to L3) useless.

I agree with the OP that buying anything beyond the basic and included Autopilot features is a waste of money at this point, particularly because EAP/FSD are available as subscriptions if they ever become useful. Maybe one day the user-initiated auto lane changes will make their way into the basic package and the rest of it will simply disappear.

Last edited:
Haha. Ok, you should have had a radar version....following distance that worked (distance of 1, proper acceleration), proper speeds, stop and go that didn't spill coffee, slowed down in advance on the interstate when cars were stopped ahead, and on and on and on...

Imagine if the engineering effort/talent and $44 billion were put into the program....
Not sure why what I wrote warrants a “haha.” I was being completely serious.

Reactions: QUBO and Yelobird
Just a minor point. Autopilot is not self driving, its just basic lane keeping and traffic aware cruise, nothing more.
The car is never driving itself, only you can do that, the car just assists. :cool:
I am aware of that. However the basic autopilot/ lane sensing only… is more of a pain in the arse and distracting to use that just driving car yourself. I have to assist it rather than it assist me. 😩
Based on comments here the $6000 and $15000 FSD also not very good. Then why the heck would anyone ever pay Tesla that much to have a product that has yet to convince me to use. And comments here are not encouraging. Especially If I am a beta tester guinea pig for Tesla should not the features be free? Just smells like a scam to pay anything for this product that does not fully work. If they need money to develop this product they should go to stockholders not drivers.
Sry just rambling at this point as I like everything else about the car. Disappointed as I was so excited to see this feature that I now think is overpriced and overrated.

I am aware of that. However the basic autopilot/ lane sensing only… is more of a pain in the arse and distracting to use that just driving car yourself. I have to assist it rather than it assist me. 😩
Based on comments here the $6000 and $15000 FSD also not very good. Then why the heck would anyone ever pay Tesla that much to have a product that has yet to convince me to use. And comments here are not encouraging. Especially If I am a beta tester guinea pig for Tesla should not the features be free? Just smells like a scam to pay anything for this product that does not fully work. If they need money to develop this product they should go to stockholders not drivers.
Sry just rambling at this point as I like everything else about the car. Disappointed as I was so excited to see this feature that I now think is overpriced and overrated.

I bought FSD based upon all the hype and amazing videos on youtube, but now I really wish I hadn't. I've only had one person ride with me with while using FSDb who didn't tell me to turn it off and never use it again with them after about five minutes (because of the lane selection chaos). I hope V11 really makes a substantial improvement but I'm kind of doubting it.

I bought FSD based upon all the hype and amazing videos on youtube, but now I really wish I hadn't. I've only had one person ride with me with while using FSDb who didn't tell me to turn it off and never use it again with them after about five minutes (because of the lane selection chaos). I hope V11 really makes a substantial improvement but I'm kind of doubting it.
V11 is apparently no silver bullet. Per others the disclaimer still tells you to “expect it to do the WORST possible thing at the WORST possible time”

That’s not confidence building.

Reactions: SHT54 and COS Blue