Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot speed restrictions...what do you think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what version of firmware Elon is running on his car? It can't be the same as what we've got. In my town, there are several divided highways (with boulevards) where my AP would only go at the post limit now. Sure, I don't use it there, but this "enhancement" makes this feature totally useless unless no other cars are around because they all whiz at 10-15% higher speeds.

Most recent version. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the auto steer warning and speed reduction,

I was just able to go 31 in a 25 when a car was in front of me. Will try to do it again but as soon as I lost the car in front it dropped to 25. This was on a four lane undivided city street.
I've seen the opposite in a situation not exactly like yours. In my neighborhood the speed limit is 20mph and the two lane road is divided. I can only initiate Autopilot when following a car in front of me. Otherwise I can't initiate Autopilot, since there are no curbs or curb markings. If the car in front leaves the field of view, like when it turns into a side street, my car will continue to attempt to follow the road in autopilot mode and eventually I have to take over due to too many curves that are not followed properly. Also, if the car in front speeds up faster than 20mph, my car continues at 20mph.

Today, I was following a car that was slowing down and then turned off on a side street, autopilot disengage as the front car almost came to a stop, but TACC would not automatically resume and I was not able to get it to resume. Also, I was not able to set the a cruise speed after that in the neighborhood or normal roads. I had to pull over and power cycle the car.

In any case it would be nice if the Tesla in autopilot mode could be egged on by the car in the rear, not the front. I don't want to slow down the traffic behind me.

I just completed a round trip from SC to NJ. This was my fourth trip in my 90D, and my first under the speed-limit-restricted software update.
Several times the car suddenly decelerated to 50 mph in 70 mph zones (once in heavy traffic), only to recover to 70 a couple hundred yards later. It had never done that on previous trips (before the update).
I submitted a bug report each and every time.

Related to this thread... a FaceBook post on the main FB S and X pages.

2.52.20 (8.0) that I applied last night in my P90D X now allows (again) for +5 MPH over the speedlimit sign on *non*divided highways. That was a pleasant surprise. While on *divided* highways, I had called in a complaint a couple days ago on the main Tesla support line while on a roadtrip of the car slowing down while in the right lane and there was a parked car along side the road. In the worse example I saw it tried going from 70 MPH to 45 MPH. My local service center called yesterday to tell me this latest update would help with this latter issue (they didn't mention the former would change from +0 back to +5)

Last edited:
Related to this thread... my FaceBook post on the main FB S and X pages.

Can anyone else confirm this? I've been avoiding updating because +0 just doesn't work for me.

Thanks!

-Ben

PS. The Tesla GPS crashed the other day, with the arrow staying stuck in a parking lot, and autopilot started letting me set the speed much higher than +5 on an undivided road! It must default to highway mode if it loses GPS. The auto-garage open also didn't work when I got home, confirming that GPS was down. I eventually rebooted the system, regaining GPS functionality and everything went back to normal. It was an interesting insight into how the system functions.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Glad Tesla seems to have listened this time!

If I've been holding off on the last update, will my car still download the newer update when available, or do you have to get each one in order? Basically, want to know if I should hold off a bit to make sure I get the newest, or if waiting will just assure that I never get the newer version.