Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot team changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bonnie. What inference can we make on the state of AP2 - Good? Bad? Neutral?

Bonnie--Can you tell me now who is going to win the Super Bowl?

Seriously, people, knowing Bonnie, and how forthcoming she always is with information she can share, does it really make sense to badger her? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this kind of questioning could have the exact opposite effect, and cause Bonnie to feel less, rather than more, like sharing.

While I agree with you, for Tesla fans in the end how Anderson is perceived and how he left is secondary to what does this mean to AP2. In the end that is the inference we are trying to make.

And again remember,, I am not asking her to share any information, but only her opinion on the current state of affairs based on the developments. Simple as that. I think we have every right to badger someone to spill their opinions and inferences :)

Executives entering and leaving is just a play in the game. What state the game is, is what we are most interested in.,

Bonnie--Can you tell me now who is going to win the Super Bowl?

Seriously, people, knowing Bonnie, and how forthcoming she always is with information she can share, does it really make sense to badger her? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that this kind of questioning could have the exact opposite effect, and cause Bonnie to feel less, rather than more, like sharing.
She enjoys it :)

Interesting related article in Wired, which sheds more light on Chris Lattner's hiring.

Tesla Is Snatching Apple’s Stars to Make Itself the New Apple

"Tesla hired Lattner because he has a history of building enormously complex, enormously successful software projects. As his PhD advisor, Vikram Adve, points out, Swift is just one example of this. Before that, Lattner built two other software projects on a similar scale: LLVM and Clang. Never heard of those? Then you’re not a software engineer. These are foundational tools at both Apple and Google, underpinning everything that happens on the iPhone and on every Google online service. “Chris is really good at managing and running a large software project, with very high quality, attracting really good programmers, and getting results,” says Adve, a computer science professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."

• Informative
Reactions: rajpatel486
You guys are knuckleheads, and I say that in the most endearing way. :)

Sterling didn't get axed. He's left on good terms. Sometimes new opportunities are presented, you know you're leaving the team in good hands, objectives have been realized & it's time to attack the new challenge. I have it on *good authority* he's been working on something very exciting for a while and may be announcing soon.

Those of us lucky enough to have made his acquaintance wish him well & can't wait to see what's coming next.
Really good terms...
Tesla is suing its ex-Autopilot director for allegedly poaching employees and stealing confidential information

So here is what I did know - Tesla asked him to stay on until the release. He did that. At that point, it was on good terms. Read the complaint and check the timeline.
Yes, nothing against you. Of course this wasn't foreseeable. However, I already considered it as very unlikely that the director of such a program would leave at such a critical phase (first implementation of HW2) without anything happened. I more guessed that his project results did not satisfy and this would have been the main reason. Now we have a better idea what happened.

Intriguing thread, thank you to all involved.

I hope you don't mind a bit of comms analysis:

These two are IMO actually quite pertinent to the on-going two sides to facts conversation as well:

You guys are knuckleheads, and I say that in the most endearing way. :)

Sterling didn't get axed. He's left on good terms. Sometimes new opportunities are presented, you know you're leaving the team in good hands, objectives have been realized & it's time to attack the new challenge. I have it on *good authority* he's been working on something very exciting for a while and may be announcing soon.

Those of us lucky enough to have made his acquaintance wish him well & can't wait to see what's coming next.

[Sterling] Tesla is suing its ex-Autopilot director for allegedly poaching employees and stealing confidential information

Both stories are basically right, I assume, but are the polar opposites in some ways.

Both can leave the completely wrong impression when read in isolation and especially with commentary such as the part about knuckleheads on one end (suggesting any negative analysis wrong) and on the other hand corporate legalese (always very biased to make a case) on the other.

It really makes a massive difference on how some message is presented and how its content is either selected or limited by knowledge at the time. This is one example of that.

I assume part of this reason is that bonnie's source may have been Sterling Anderson or someone close to him - while the lawsuit of course may be the result of work by some other arm as well as lawyers privy to a different perspective.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know what he was allegedly working on that was "pretty exciting". Starting another autonomous driving competitor with a guy from Google?
You would have to talk to Sterling directly.

I love Tesla (as you all know). I also think the world of Sterling. Let's see how this plays out.

It sounds like Sterling's job was management, and not technical. I suspect that he wanted to get back to innovating himself, and perhaps felt rather under-utilized. However, I think prospects of a big payoff was also likely a large influence. For now, I will withhold judgement.

Who knows, maybe Elon was dictating the opening statement and purposely chose the most insulting title to give him retroactively :D

There's more...

Anderson collaborated with Urmson on their competing venture on Tesla time, using his Tesla company laptop, and on Tesla's premises. On 26 January 4, 2017, Anderson took his Tesla laptop to Urmson's home, accessed a document entitled "Recruiting targets" and continued to proceed with their Tesla solicitations. Even after Tesla terminated Anderson that afternoon, he and his partners continued to recruit from Tesla...

And more here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3422711/17CV305646.pdf