Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot worse after latest Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing similar issues with the adaptive cruise control, which is sad, because that was the one autopilot feature that I could rely on. However, since the update, the phantom, jerky braking has become so serious, I now fear being rear-ended due to sudden, unexpected deceleration. This is a serious safety issue.

That said, the autosteer appears to be more reliable with this update, to the point of being almost usable.

As for the moisture-sensing wipers, I can't discern any difference between the two settings. I would expect one to be more sensitive than the other, but the wipers always seem to wipe too slowly when driving through light to moderate showers.

This is with software version 2019.8.5 on a 2017 Model S with AP2.

Reactions: weradln
I just took delivery of a M3 LR AWD in March after selling my 2016 Model S AP1. I did notice right away that AS is more stable and less nervous than AP1. It tends to stay centered in the lane better and follows curves in the mountains better where AP1 would just give up and disconnect. However, TACC has been a disaster with this car. The AP1 version worked mostly well but would always brake when a car far ahead turned off and into a turn lane. The current TACC is so nervous with un-needed braking that my wife is asking me to keep it off. It seems to brake check when:

Road ahead curves up at the bottom of a hill - even a shallow rise
In a curve where there are cars in other lanes close ahead - this happens all the time
Cars ahead brake regardless of how far away they are
Cars move into a turn lane and slow down - again regardless of how far away they are

I'm not too worried about being rear ended. If someone is following that close then it's their fault. And so far the braking has never been at full stopping power. But still ... In it's current iteration it is useless for me. I use cruise control all the time so this is a big problem for me. I would take a "dumb" cruise control at this point just to have something that works.

The following distance is too long even set to 1. With this engaged cars are constantly pulling in front of us in heavy traffic. Yes, people follow too closely. But with a radar and cameras, I can't believe that the system couldn't stop the car before a collision without being 4-5 car lengths behind even at 75 mph. This has always been the case with AP1 and this version.

I eagerly activated "Navigate on Cruise" when I received the update. This is mostly a gimmick and finally today I de-activated it because I have found that it serves no purpose. I end up cancelling lane changes as often as allowing them because I can see up ahead that the lane chosen has a much slower car in the lane meaning that it will have to change lanes again very soon. Also, even though I keep my hands on the wheel, this function checks to make sure you have your hands on the wheel before allowing lane changes. But it is looking for torque on the wheel and cannot tell that my hands are there but not pulling. This caused a lot of consternation for a long time until I read in the release notes that this is what it is doing. And don't keep pulling too hard. I was in a turn with some torque on the wheel and after it turned the torque increased too much so that it thought I was trying to dis-engage it, so it dis-engaged! Wife not happy with unexpected big swerve in the middle of a turn.

I love the car, but it is just too glitchy. Tesla needs to do a far better job of testing updates before releasing.

As far as FSD, I don't believe too many people if indeed anyone have the FSD computer installed yet. So extrapolating from AP2 performance is probably not appropriate. As far as cameras exclusively vs cameras with Lidar keep in mind that Lidar has limitations. Apparently not effective in heavy downpour or fog and prone to errors with high sun angles and shallow reflections. And human drivers do a reasonable job of driving with essentially nothing more than two eyes and a brain. I believe that eventually cameras and computers alone will be enough. And don't forget that Tesla already as a Neural Network of 2 million cars that have allowed Tesla to make their system learn from billions of miles driven. No other Self Driving company or government organization can claim anything close to that. The only experts on Tesla's FSD capability work for Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D and am_dmd
I just took delivery of a M3 LR AWD in March after selling my 2016 Model S AP1. I did notice right away that AS is more stable and less nervous than AP1. It tends to stay centered in the lane better and follows curves in the mountains better where AP1 would just give up and disconnect. However, TACC has been a disaster with this car. The AP1 version worked mostly well but would always brake when a car far ahead turned off and into a turn lane. The current TACC is so nervous with un-needed braking that my wife is asking me to keep it off. It seems to brake check when:

Road ahead curves up at the bottom of a hill - even a shallow rise
In a curve where there are cars in other lanes close ahead - this happens all the time
Cars ahead brake regardless of how far away they are
Cars move into a turn lane and slow down - again regardless of how far away they are

I'm not too worried about being rear ended. If someone is following that close then it's their fault. And so far the braking has never been at full stopping power. But still ... In it's current iteration it is useless for me. I use cruise control all the time so this is a big problem for me. I would take a "dumb" cruise control at this point just to have something that works.

The following distance is too long even set to 1. With this engaged cars are constantly pulling in front of us in heavy traffic. Yes, people follow too closely. But with a radar and cameras, I can't believe that the system couldn't stop the car before a collision without being 4-5 car lengths behind even at 75 mph. This has always been the case with AP1 and this version.

I eagerly activated "Navigate on Cruise" when I received the update. This is mostly a gimmick and finally today I de-activated it because I have found that it serves no purpose. I end up cancelling lane changes as often as allowing them because I can see up ahead that the lane chosen has a much slower car in the lane meaning that it will have to change lanes again very soon. Also, even though I keep my hands on the wheel, this function checks to make sure you have your hands on the wheel before allowing lane changes. But it is looking for torque on the wheel and cannot tell that my hands are there but not pulling. This caused a lot of consternation for a long time until I read in the release notes that this is what it is doing. And don't keep pulling too hard. I was in a turn with some torque on the wheel and after it turned the torque increased too much so that it thought I was trying to dis-engage it, so it dis-engaged! Wife not happy with unexpected big swerve in the middle of a turn.

I love the car, but it is just too glitchy. Tesla needs to do a far better job of testing updates before releasing.

As far as FSD, I don't believe too many people if indeed anyone have the FSD computer installed yet. So extrapolating from AP2 performance is probably not appropriate. As far as cameras exclusively vs cameras with Lidar keep in mind that Lidar has limitations. Apparently not effective in heavy downpour or fog and prone to errors with high sun angles and shallow reflections. And human drivers do a reasonable job of driving with essentially nothing more than two eyes and a brain. I believe that eventually cameras and computers alone will be enough. And don't forget that Tesla already as a Neural Network of 2 million cars that have allowed Tesla to make their system learn from billions of miles driven. No other Self Driving company or government organization can claim anything close to that. The only experts on Tesla's FSD capability work for Tesla.
Wow Eddie I'm wondering if you need something recalibrated. I've recently completed about a 2K road trip using mostly APoNav. Love it. Haven't really seen the issues you describe. AP2 with MCU1

Just had the car serviced at Tesla SC in Alpharetta, GA. The technician reviewed my documented "brake checks" and found no errors. They explained to me that the system is working as designed, that Autosteer and Adaptive Cruise Control are part of the same system and that it is still in "Beta". They said it will have to be fixed by software updates. On the 130 mile drive to the SC, I used Autosteer most of the way and it did work well except for the brake checks. Twice it braked when nothing at all was in my lane which was straight. Once an SUV cut across my path and even though it was clear long before I arrived, it braked AFTER it was clear. This is a common occurrence. On the way back I was changing lanes in heavy traffic and as I changed into a clear lane it braked hard for no reason and finally I had to apply the accelerator to break it out of it (there was another car close behind who was not happy!).

As it is right now, it is usable in light traffic. In the mountains of WNC where I live half the year, it handles curves much better than AP1 did on my MS. However, in heavy traffic it creates too many problems and aggravates drives around me (and scares my wife!). I would love to have a "Dumb" cruise control option for such situations. I hope that eventually the software will bring ACC and AS up to the promise but it is not there yet.

Do you always use TACC with autosteer? If so I am wondering if these symptoms would be the same if you only used TACC.

I use TACC more often than Autosteer. I cannot tell any difference. In fact the tech at the Service Center explained to me that they are both part of the same system. He suggested that I will need to wait for improvements with software updates. I sure hope that happens!

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I’m having the exact same issue as described. Model S 2016 AP2.0. We were using TACC every day, and AP a few times a week, until the last couple of updates. We had to stop using both, because the phantom braking and jerking was so awful, and we didn’t want to end up getting rear-ended. I tried it again today (now on 2019.16.2), and it was still just as bad. It behaves the worst when there's traffic in an adjacent lane (especially trucks) and when there’s a curve. We did a 6-hour road trip last weekend and had to do without cruise control, which was a real pain the arse. I sure hope the next update will fix it.

I think you might want to look up what 'literally' means in the dictionary.

sorry for being late to the thread, but i just wanted to note that the definition of "literally" changed several years ago to mean "figuratively"

Merriam-Webster Definition of literally
"2) : in effect : virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible"

Discussion here:
Did We Change the Definition of 'Literally'?

This accepted new meaning literally drives me insane, but that's how it goes!

As to the AP degradation, I have experienced the same thing. Late 2016 Model S with AP 2.0. Autopilot is now erratic, numerous unnecessary braking events, and scary abort of lane changes during Navigate on Autopilot, where the car suddenly brakes HARD and swerves back into the original lane for no apparent reason (no other traffic nearby). It's a chore to monitor now, and makes me constantly one edge. Actually not using AP much anymore due to the drastic changes.

On 2019.20.2.1. AP 2.0 2017 S90D.

Been using autopilot now for over 600 miles these last couple days. Had a few times where I needed to disengage (because of weird lane markings) but overall, can use it about 85% of the time. I have been pleased.

I just picked up my Performance M3 yesterday and it has the latest software version I’m aware of 2019.28.2 and either there’s something wrong with the steering rack allowing too much play on center or this version or autopilot is terrible. It plays ping pong between the lane markers and doesn’t feel remotely as smooth as our LR3D feels on autosteer. Auto lane changes are the same story. It seems to overshoot how much steering it needs and then jerks back to stay in the lane. I’m going to have to take it in to service. I sort of think it’s something mechanical or an alignment issue with steering, but it could possibly be software.