Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of us have ToU based electricity rates, where we have tiered electric rates from our power companies, in my case — PGE. We get ultra cheap rates from 10pm until 6am (when demand from the power company is lowest), I.e. .04 (cents) kWh. But we pay more for our rates during other hours of the day, when demand typically goes up. 3 different tier rates during the day. Sunday and major holidays are also the cheapest rates, all day. So we charge our Tesla early in the morning, to finish by 6am (before the rates go back up). But this means many nights (depending on how far I’ve driven the day before), I need to *manualy* calculate when to start the charge. For example this is what I calculate: 6am finish time - ((desired miles of range to charge up to - miles of range currently left) / mph charge rate) = time of morning to start charging.

I.e. I come home and I have 110 miles of range left on the pack, but before the next day, I want the car’s range to be charged up to 230 miles of range. 230 miles desired range - 110 currently left = 120 miles of charging needed. My 32A UMC gives me a 30 mph charging rate. Therefore it would take 4 hours to get the car back up to 230 miles of range. So I would need to start charging at 2am, to finish by 6am.
6am - ((230 - 110) / 30) = 2am.

So I have to go down to the car and plug this start time into the car... Could you build that into the app?

I think Nissan has this built in to their app (or so I’ve heard).

I should add this super handy for road trip planning — charging to max, and have the car ready right before you leave. But it’s also tricky, as the charging rates are unpredictablely slow after topping off past 90% SoC. So I usually add an extra 45 min to an hour padding into the calculation to get to a full 100% charge. Becomes more of an *estimate* and less mathematical.

Your user adjustable variables would be:
- Charging amps and/or charging rate (mph)
- Charge to finish by time
- Deired range max (in miles)

You may want to know the user’s pack size, to know when SoC ranges get above 90%, and therefore less predictable. Maybe have some caveat/warning that finish time calculations are estimated only, as charging rates do fluctuate throughout the charge cycle.

Last edited:
A lot of us have ToU based electricity rates, where we have tiered electric rates from our power companies, in my case — PGE. We get ultra cheap rates from 10pm until 6am (when demand from the power company is lowest), I.e. .04 (cents) kWh. But we pay more for our rates during other hours of the day, when demand typically goes up. 3 different tier rates during the day. Sunday and major holidays are also the cheapest rates, all day. So we charge our Tesla early in the morning, to finish by 6am (before the rates go back up). But this means many nights (depending on how far I’ve driven the day before), I need to *manualy* calculate when to start the charge. For example this is what I calculate: 6am finish time - ((desired miles of range to charge up to - miles of range currently left) / mph charge rate) = time of morning to start charging.

I.e. I come home and I have 110 miles of range left on the pack, but before the next day, I want the car’s range to be charged up to 230 miles of range. 230 miles desired range - 110 currently left = 120 miles of charging needed. My 32A UMC gives me a 30 mph charging rate. Therefore it would take 4 hours to get the car back up to 230 miles of range. So I would need to start charging at 2am, to finish by 6am.

So I have to go down to the car and plug this start time into the car... Could you build that into the app?

Why dont you set it up in the car to start charging at 12 or 1 am. This way, you can plug it in when you get home and the car charges at the states time.

The app doesn't continuously run in the background, so it can't associate a charge with the time of charge.

The app doesn't continuously run in the background, so it can't associate a charge with the time of charge.

How does an alarm clock app run/work then? Does Apple’s iOS shut that app down in the background, yet it still can come awake when needed to activate the alarm for you? Or is it allowed to run continuously in the background?

Can your app update the car’s scheduled charge time? All it would need to do is run the schedule calculation, with reminder/notice to you (like some of your other notices/alerts do), and then with user’s OK, pass that new scheduled time on to the car?

Reactions: gecko10x
How does an alarm clock app run/work then? Does Apple’s iOS shut that app down in the background, yet it still can come awake when needed to activate the alarm for you? Or is it allowed to run continuously in the background?

Can your app update the car’s scheduled charge time? All it would need to do is run the schedule calculation, with reminder/notice to you (like some of your other notices/alerts do), and then with user’s OK, pass that new scheduled time on to the car?
Yes, iOS suspends apps when they are backgrounded. iOS launches the app in the background pseuro-randomly based on an algorithm designed by Apple to minimize battery consumption (they are allowed to run in the background for a few seconds before getting suspended again). Certain category of apps (audio, navigation) are allowed to run in the background continuously, but they consume battery and can't run 24/7.
The API does not allow changing charging schedule set in the car.
Hope this helps.

Just purchased the app, thank you @rawmean. This kind of conversation between users and the developer is fascinating, as well as a great marketing tool. How often do we really have direct access to ask questions, suggest features and report problems??? Thanks to all of you who are making a really useful tool for Tesla owners without all that extra data/snooping/sharing/billing baggage!

Ok, lost range by itself does not give sufficient information to compute the rate of loss. 4 miles lost over one hour is a lot. 4 miles lost over 24 hours is low.

You are correct. I was just showing you what I was noticing and what I stated in the first place. The temp in my garage hasnt changed much. Before the app, charging to 202 miles and by the time i went to work in the mornin, 198-201 miles was the norm. Since installing both those apps, it has been noticeably more.

I was just letting you know since I explained that this was my biggest concern. I have not had enough time to say its your app or not. Just wanted to keep you in the loop my thought process.

Forgive me for not going through the whole thread but any chance of an android port?
Sorry, I'm an independent iOS developer.
There is too much fragmentation in Android (both device types and Android version) which makes app development for Android not fun.
You have already bought a Tesla, make the switch to the iOS and complete the transition (kidding, of course)...

You are correct. I was just showing you what I was noticing and what I stated in the first place. The temp in my garage hasnt changed much. Before the app, charging to 202 miles and by the time i went to work in the mornin, 198-201 miles was the norm. Since installing both those apps, it has been noticeably more.

I was just letting you know since I explained that this was my biggest concern. I have not had enough time to say its your app or not. Just wanted to keep you in the loop my thought process.
Feel free to reach out to me using the support button in the app and I'l help to get to the bottom of this.
Not adding to the phantom drain is important to me and has been one of my main goals.

How often do we really have direct access to ask questions, suggest features and report problems??? Thanks to all of you who are making a really useful tool for Tesla owners without all that extra data/snooping/sharing/billing baggage!

Exactly! rawmean is the kind'a developer we should all root for. An independent developer of a good app, has fair pricing, very receptive to ideas, answers questions patiently, and transparent about privacy and security. I have had many positive interactions with him via support email since I recently bought the app to use with my two-week old Model 3.

Feel free to reach out to me using the support button in the app and I'l help to get to the bottom of this.
Not adding to the phantom drain is important to me and has been one of my main goals.

I dont have enough days to get you involved yet. I dont feel comfortable saying it is your APP. Especially because I know how hard you are working on Vampire Drain not happening. I need more data points and need to eliminate other variables first.

Thank you for participating in this thread.

Let me see how it goes for another week.

Reactions: mswlogo
Sorry, I'm an independent iOS developer.
There is too much fragmentation in Android (both device types and Android version) which makes app development for Android not fun.
You have already bought a Tesla, make the switch to the iOS and complete the transition (kidding, of course)...

Fragmented, you ain’t kidding.

I made the mistake of having a successful app on iOS and later porting it to Android. What a huge mistake that was. 5x the work (5 Android phones with various versions of Android, and I still barely cover enough) and I limited it to more recent versions of Android only, that still only covers half the devices out there. On top of that sales are dismal on Android compared to iOS. Samsung is the worst to deal with because they really hack up the OS the most. And you have to download images of each vender to debug. IDE is terribly slow on Android. Swift language on iOS also much more powerful and elegant than Kotlin on Android. Absolute nightmare from a developers view point.

Smart man to stick with iOS. I wish I was as smart.

Fragmented, you ain’t kidding.

I made the mistake of having a successful app on iOS and later porting it to Android. What a huge mistake that was. 5x the work (5 Android phones with various versions of Android, and I still barely cover enough) and I limited it to more recent versions of Android only, that still only covers half the devices out there. On top of that sales are dismal on Android compared to iOS. Samsung is the worst to deal with because they really hack up the OS the most. And you have to download images of each vender to debug. IDE is terribly slow on Android. Swift language on iOS also much more powerful and elegant than Kotlin on Android. Absolute nightmare from a developers view point.

Smart man to stick with iOS. I wish I was as smart.

Oh now I get why that at them Apple keynotes thay always brag about how many people are on the same iOS version... makes sense now