Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t see the Siri “unlock doors”, I did send an email via the app but I don’t think you’re getting them
The unlock door is implemented in the beta and will be released through the App Store soon.
I received an email from one user who asked for beta invite yesterday and invited him. Not sure if it was you. Look in your spam folder (the email is from apple). Email me again if you don't see the invite.

Reactions: BobAbooey
I just bought this app. is the data I see historical or just from when I first started using it which is today?

also how is efficiency calculated?
Thanks for using the app.
Tesla does not maintain historical data (or they don't make it available through the API). So, the data collection starts when you install the app.
Re efficiency: please see the FAQ in the app.

• Informative
Just bought this app - looks great. But I'm trying to schedule heating/cooling and it's not turning on. I'm currently in Charleston, SC and my car in in Denver, CO. I've tried both setting the time for EST and MDT and it won't turn on. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: swegman
Does having always on background refresh and location lead to iPhone battery drainage?

I was the one that started this thread and I still love the app. But in my opinion/experience the answer is yes. YMMV.

It was using 6% of my battery (iPhone X). I have disabled background on my phone and installed the app on an iPad that is always plugged in with background enabled. The way this app works, which is awesome, the iPad can do the work but the phone will still see all the data and have all the control it needs.

The developer might not think 6% is much, and many folks might not think it's much.

It can be a little tricky measuring load on an iPhone because it's 6% of the "work" it did. If the phone did nothing else but this app it will naturally be a higher percentage (because it has nothing else to do). If your phone is doing tons of other stuff this app might show very low. But I know what similar apps are using relative and it used more than I wish on my daily phone. Because of how iPhone presents battery usage it's very hard to compare one users battery usage to another.

I have put in a request to the developer to add a user controlled "Cap" of how often it's allowed to communicate. Even if that impairs some of the stats. I would prefer have that control. If iOS wakes the app every 1 minute, I want the option in the app that tells it to ignore "wakes" until it's been say at least 5 minutes. To use 6% of my battery it had to be communicating quite a lot. You can't make iOS call you faster/more often. But you can ignore requests to wakeup and process. Perhaps the developer feels any slower than it runs now would impair functionality.

Again, I still love the app and use it. But it does use a bit of juice. I've not seen any impact to the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
After using this app for a week, here is my opinion thus far.

This app is fantastic. Simple, fun and good info.

That being said, I am not sure about the vampire drain issue. I have been charging to 80% since i got the car at the end of july which puts it at 202 miles. 24 hour period before going to work each morning, the lowest its ever been was 199 or 198.

Since having this app, it now goes down to around 196 or 195. The first week i contributed to it maybe being that the app is new and i open it a lot to look at it. But the past few days i havnt and it is still a bit lower than normal.

Caveat is that the rawmean said he uses "EV watch" for his apple watch complication. So "maybe" its that app that is knocking the few more miles off.

@rawmean Can you confirm your app in the background status for your app and EV watch. As well as the location services settings you have for both the apps?

I was hesitant to use an app if it adds to the vampire drain.

Advice is requested.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
5A3CC870-7EA4-4CC1-AC4D-D47D168323A3.png
16013B7E-C758-4C81-9AFC-BC0A3DB5BF8D.png

Just bought this app - looks great. But I'm trying to schedule heating/cooling and it's not turning on. I'm currently in Charleston, SC and my car in in Denver, CO. I've tried both setting the time for EST and MDT and it won't turn on. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.
Please contact me using the support button in the app and I'll make sure that it works for you.

After using this app for a week, here is my opinion thus far.

This app is fantastic. Simple, fun and good info.

That being said, I am not sure about the vampire drain issue. I have been charging to 80% since i got the car at the end of july which puts it at 202 miles. 24 hour period before going to work each morning, the lowest its ever been was 199 or 198.

Since having this app, it now goes down to around 196 or 195. The first week i contributed to it maybe being that the app is new and i open it a lot to look at it. But the past few days i havnt and it is still a bit lower than normal.

Caveat is that the rawmean said he uses "EV watch" for his apple watch complication. So "maybe" its that app that is knocking the few more miles off.

@rawmean Can you confirm your app in the background status for your app and EV watch. As well as the location services settings you have for both the apps?

I was hesitant to use an app if it adds to the vampire drain.

Advice is requested.
I need to see your phantom drain data to help better, but I use the app more frequently than a typical user and my phantom drain is about 0.2mph.
I think the extra couple of miles that you are losing per 24 hour might be attributed to temperature.

I was the one that started this thread and I still love the app. But in my opinion/experience the answer is yes. YMMV.

It was using 6% of my battery (iPhone X). I have disabled background on my phone and installed the app on an iPad that is always plugged in with background enabled. The way this app works, which is awesome, the iPad can do the work but the phone will still see all the data and have all the control it needs.

The developer might not think 6% is much, and many folks might not think it's much.

It can be a little tricky measuring load on an iPhone because it's 6% of the "work" it did. If the phone did nothing else but this app it will naturally be a higher percentage (because it has nothing else to do). If your phone is doing tons of other stuff this app might show very low. But I know what similar apps are using relative and it used more than I wish on my daily phone. Because of how iPhone presents battery usage it's very hard to compare one users battery usage to another.

I have put in a request to the developer to add a user controlled "Cap" of how often it's allowed to communicate. Even if that impairs some of the stats. I would prefer have that control. If iOS wakes the app every 1 minute, I want the option in the app that tells it to ignore "wakes" until it's been say at least 5 minutes. To use 6% of my battery it had to be communicating quite a lot. You can't make iOS call you faster/more often. But you can ignore requests to wakeup and process. Perhaps the developer feels any slower than it runs now would impair functionality.

Again, I still love the app and use it. But it does use a bit of juice. I've not seen any impact to the car.
Thanks @mswlogo When you open any app, it consumes power. The power associated with display is more than the power associated with sending packets.
Most people are not ok with missing data in favor of a couple of percentages of battery.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: mswlogo
I thought this screenshot which shows Stats battery consumption is useful.

TL-DR: The battery consumption associated with background operation of the app is quite minimal (1% in my case).

If you open any app, the power associated with display and the processor while you interact with the app. On my iPad, Stats mainly runs in the background and I don't typically launch the app, so the total power on my iPad is almost all associated with app's background operation. Note that I am not disputing @mswlogo's report of 6% total battery consumption of Stats: 6% is for foreground and background operation. The foreground battery consumption depends on how often you interact with the app and that figure is fairly constant among most apps (except gaming and navigational apps which can consume much more power).

Hope this clarifies some of the questions that have been asked here about the background power consumption of the app.

IMG_0786.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Phanthom drain:
The top graph shows the phantom drain for my car. It averages around 0.2mph. This means that while my car is parked from 7pm to 7am, I lose 0.2*12 = 2.4 miles on average.

The lower graph shows the histogram of phantom drain rate across all users of the app. The phantom drain rate for most users is ~0.2mph. Phantom drain is greatly affected by temperature, if the car is parked in cold/hot environment, the phantom drain will increase.

I hope you find this info useful.

IMG_0787.PNG
IMG_948BFA427B42-1.jpeg

Thanks @BobAbooey One of my users has used Apple's Shortcut app to combine shortcuts that Stats provide to automate his charging sequence.
For example, he uses a non-Tesla charger often to charge the car. these chargers do not have a button on the wand to release the charger latch. So, he has combined the "unlock the car", "stop charging" in a single Shortcut and assigned it a Siri phrase. I thought it's a useful thing to share with people here.

image1 1.png

6893263E-7E32-41A6-AAC0-B72690E65B92.jpeg
Here is my phontom drain.

I have a garage and it has been staying around 55 degrees for the past month.

Agin I’m not sure it’s this app or the EV watch app.

I’m going to monitor for another week. If it doesn’t settle then I’m deleting the EV watch app and compare for another week.

View attachment 358845 Here is my phontom drain.

I have a garage and it has been staying around 55 degrees for the past month.

Agin I’m not sure it’s this app or the EV watch app.

I’m going to monitor for another week. If it doesn’t settle then I’m deleting the EV watch app and compare for another week.
Are these the rates or miles lost. If it's the rates, you have to also consider the duration. If the duration is low (e.g. 30 min), then a high drain rate amounts to very little loss.

I have installed both EV Watch and Stats.

I’m curious... Is the app actually storing your Tesla account credentials? Or is it getting an OAuth token (or equivalent bearer token) and storing that?

And is all the data being pulled by the app on your phone? Or do you have a service backend?

I’m curious... Is the app actually storing your Tesla account credentials? Or is it getting an OAuth token (or equivalent bearer token) and storing that?

And is all the data being pulled by the app on your phone? Or do you have a service backend?
Data is stored in user's private iCloud.
Credentials are stored on device and authentication token is obtained from Tesla .more information is in the privacy policy of the app in the app store.