Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery is big disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I think it's to make an EV less intimidating for mainstream buyers. This process has been ongoing with the S, starting with changing the big range meter on the IC to a smaller one in the corner, removing separate amps and volts info from the supercharging screen, maybe someone can think of other changes.

I was thinking about those two mainstream changes last night. Another possibility for dropping kWh might have to do with vehicle badging or the lack thereof. We likely won't ever see a 60, 85, or other battery badge on a Model 3. While presenting the 3 as an everyman vehicle, perhaps Tesla is looking to scale back status comparisons. Also, Tesla gets crucified by newer owners every time there's an increase in battery capacity. This move may put the kibosh on some of that angst.

Earlier today Bloomberg wrote, "Unlike previous cars, Tesla didn’t disclose the size of its two battery packs. All cars will be identical from the outside, with no additional badging indicating battery size or premium options. The plan is for the Model S and X to eventually do the same."

Can probably forget about that future D or L badge too. The aftermarketers are probably already gearing up.

Reactions: Trancela
$9000 did seems a lot at first, but when you look at the Model S, it cost roughly $20k to go from 259 to 335 miles. It is not really that bad plus with tripling supercharge by next year, road trip with base some be more viable.

The car is more than just the battery so I don't think a straight price/range comparision makes sense. Here are the numbers I calculated:

Model S
75D (259mi) - $74,500
100D (335mi) - $97,500
133% capacity, 129% range for 130% of cost

Model 3
220mi - $35,000
310mi - $44,000
140% range for 125% of cost

Reactions: TexasEV
On average AC uses 3kWh. Two hours of driving will eat up over 10% of range.

I think Model 3 260 will be a sweet spot even if upgrade adds $7k to base price.

Do you have source for this?

On my S, that would represent something like a an additional 45-50Wh/mi while at highway speeds. I don't see anything like that. As a matter of fact, once the cabin has chilled down I can barely detect the impact form A/C use, nor see it register on the power usage meter, unlike I can when the heater is drawing that much or more...

the hit on the range using the A/C is minimal. not even worth mentioning

Pretty much this. Since I've started driving electric (the Leaf for three years, gen 2 Volt now) I have been leaving my car on with the AC running on hot days when I don't have covered parking, especially when I've bought groceries and have to make a stop or two on the way home. The impact is negligible, even on the smaller batteries.

On average AC uses 3kWh. Two hours of driving will eat up over 10% of range.

I think Model 3 260 will be a sweet spot even if upgrade adds $7k to base price.

What? Maybe the energy use meter on my Volt isn't super accurate, but when I'm stopped with the AC and radio going while charging my phone it says I use anywhere from 0.5 kwh to 1 kWh I'm pretty sure the consumption meter isn't that far off that it's actually using 3 kWh when it says 0.5 or 1.

Reactions: Trancela
Price wise your getting a lot of miles for the dollar if you buy the model 3 long range.
DF5-VaEVwAENlq-.jpg

Here is my thoight on why tesla did not post kWh numbers.

tesla is less efficient than the Chevy bolt. Instead of manning up they just hide it by saying people only care about range and not the kwh details. It is possible they have a 60kwh pack in the model 3 and yet not as efficient as the Chevy bolt.

Unlikely. If that were true, then the 75kwh battery that the 3 can accommodate wouldn't come close to the 310 range they're claiming now. Also, we had confirmation quite a while ago from a Tesla exec that the battery would be smaller than 60 kWh long before the Bolt officially released. A 55 kWh battery with about 52 kWh usable sounds the most likely as of now.