Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery needs service :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a message pop up "Battery needs service. Avoid hard acceleration" on my P85DL (exactly 2 years old).

Called Tesla who did some remote investigation and concluded the HV battery needed replacing. In the meantime Tesla instructed me to put the car in Insane (vs Ludicrous) mode and try not to accelerate too hard. A new battery will be ordered from the US. Apparently once it arrives it is relatively easy to replace.

It is a disappointingly low mileage (32,233km) to experience a battery failure. I was hoping for a capacity upgrade but alas - no - the battery will be replaced like for like.

The hardest part will be slow acceleration for the next x months that it takes to arrive.

Anyone else experience this?

Meant to post a picture as well... (apologies for the blur)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Had a message pop up "Battery needs service. Avoid hard acceleration" on my P85DL (exactly 2 years old).

Called Tesla who did some remote investigation and concluded the HV battery needed replacing. In the meantime Tesla instructed me to put the car in Insane (vs Ludicrous) mode and try not to accelerate too hard. A new battery will be ordered from the US. Apparently once it arrives it is relatively easy to replace.

It is a disappointingly low mileage (32,233km) to experience a battery failure. I was hoping for a capacity upgrade but alas - no - the battery will be replaced like for like.

The hardest part will be slow acceleration for the next x months that it takes to arrive.

Anyone else experience this?

Limited to Insane mode only? That's tough, you can only beat a 2 door Supercar to 100 rather than Ludicrously flog them, it's going to be a tough few weeks

Yes - insane mode will be tough for a while :)

Happy to share part number when it arrives.

Nathan did quote a number of ~US$20k to upgrade battery capacity but not sure whether he was joking or not (I half joked I hoped they would upgrade the battery).

• Informative
Reactions: Rawbznz
Sorry to hear about the battery, but it is warranted for eight years

having gone around and around on the idea of an upgrade from a P85DL to a P100D (or P100DL+), Tesla won't (or can't) do it. I talked to all the service managers as well as the contact through Freemont. I said I would go as high as $30K...nope. Besides the engineering work, the connectors on the battery are unique.

So, I bought a floor model (2KKm) and traded the original car in.....the New P100DL+ is fantastic, better in all ways (delta from trade in, all up, $75K). Identical options except for no glass/opening roof.

• Love
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Sorry to hear about the battery, but it is warranted for eight years

having gone around and around on the idea of an upgrade from a P85DL to a P100D (or P100DL+), Tesla won't (or can't) do it. I talked to all the service managers as well as the contact through Freemont. I said I would go as high as $30K...nope. Besides the engineering work, the connectors on the battery are unique.

So, I bought a floor model (2KKm) and traded the original car in.....the New P100DL+ is fantastic, better in all ways (delta from trade in, all up, $75K). Identical options except for no glass/opening roof.
Thinking of doing the same. Test drove an inventory P100DL a few days ago. Very tempting.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Thinking of doing the same. Test drove an inventory P100DL a few days ago. Very tempting.
I know- there is such a strong temptation to upgrade to the best available. Why? It's a tiny bit quicker (although the current vehicle is ridiculously faster than most everything else). It has better range (which I hardly, almost never, need). It costs a fortune. Makes NO financial sense AT ALL.
Summary- yep, I'll do it.

I hope Tesla is thinking about the environmental impact of their current "return to California " policy for any issues with drive trains and batteries. Looks like they need a few "Drivetrain Refurbishment Centres" dotted around the world to replace worn motor bearings and to identify and replace failed cells in battery packs.
Perhaps Adelaide as its close to the largest Power Pack in the world and equidistant from WA and east coast.

I hope Tesla is thinking about the environmental impact of their current "return to California " policy for any issues with drive trains and batteries. Looks like they need a few "Drivetrain Refurbishment Centres" dotted around the world to replace worn motor bearings and to identify and replace failed cells in battery packs.
Perhaps Adelaide as its close to the largest Power Pack in the world and equidistant from WA and east coast.

I really wish they open a gigafactory in Aus, big market for solar/powerwall and local manufacturer of cars/semi's would increase sales significantly and also make them cheaper by avoiding the 5% vehicle import duty. I am sure SA would give lots of tax incentives as well, especially if they got SA and VIC to compete for the chance.

I really wish they open a gigafactory in Aus, big market for solar/powerwall and local manufacturer of cars/semi's would increase sales significantly and also make them cheaper by avoiding the 5% vehicle import duty. I am sure SA would give lots of tax incentives as well, especially if they got SA and VIC to compete for the chance.
No 5% import duty as Australia and the USA have a free trade agreement. However LCT and stamp duty are another matter.

Reactions: baillies
Further to the above:
"As regards the battery swap, no VIN (vehicle identification number) is eligible for upgrade in Australia, I’ve checked that with the factory. Just to elaborate why is not possible: not only a battery swap would be involved but also firmware, fuses, harnesses and drive units cannot sustain the extreme amount of energy produced by the 100Kw/h battery pack."
Straight from Head of Tesla Service, NSW.
Oh well.

Further to the above:
"As regards the battery swap, no VIN (vehicle identification number) is eligible for upgrade in Australia, I’ve checked that with the factory. Just to elaborate why is not possible: not only a battery swap would be involved but also firmware, fuses, harnesses and drive units cannot sustain the extreme amount of energy produced by the 100Kw/h battery pack."
Straight from Head of Tesla Service, NSW.
Oh well.
This does look like a bit of a "furphy". Surely, a few fuses is not an issue? Surely, the software can be set NOT to release an amount of current that is inappropriate for the existing drive unit? This latter would mean more range, not more performance, of course. So, it sounds like you can't upgrade to "P" standards, but why not everything else in the area of range? For a price to be determined:eek: