Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not even consider the V2.0 Blackvue firmware due to the reduced resolution and frame rate, not even considering the fact that there is no WiFi hotspot built into the S. Thus 'real time' remote access to my dash cam would be impossible, and any data recorded would be suboptimal.

I just completed my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH install. Thanks to everyone on the forum that contributed instructions and pics.

One of the challenges that I had with my Oct. 2015 S was that the autopilot hardware behind the rear view mirror made it really difficult to fish the two right angle connectors up to the front camera from inside the microphone compartment. I finally unscrewed the sun visor clip so I could pull down the headliner a little farther. That did the trick.

I was fortunate to find that Blackvue changed the rear camera connector from a right angle to a straight connector (purchased from Amazon via HD Video Depot). Maybe they've been reading the forums. This allowed me to pull it through the rubber boot in the hatch in a matter of seconds.
IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5301.JPG

I was fortunate to find that Blackvue changed the rear camera connector from a right angle to a straight connector (purchased from Amazon via HD Video Depot). Maybe they've been reading the forums. This allowed me to pull it through the rubber boot in the hatch in a matter of seconds.

You are sooooo lucky! Fishing that connector through the boot was horrible!

Some notes from myblackvue dr650gw 2ch install.
Jumping the Liftgate without Drilling

The one I bought from Amazon - Javafly had the new straight rear cable connector. There were no problems with fishing it through the rear lift gate wire harness rubber boot.Since I had obliterated one of the blue snap plastic fasteners anyways, the wire was run through the middle lift gate side cover fastener hole instead of drilling a hole in the lift gate. But todo so, I had to shave some plastic off the square rear cable connector to make it circular. After which I just used some telephone wire taped to the gold metal plug part to fish and pull it through.

IMG_2212.jpg

Power From the Microphone Grill Cover
In the front, I got power from the microphone cover. A PC case fan connector mated perfectly to the unused connector. On the tesla connector, Grey is +12v, and Black is Ground. I'm not sure what the middle green wire does and would appreciated any info if someone knows.

IMG_2211.jpg

The supplied cigarette outlet cable was cut at the yellow label before the fuse where it says don't cut, then spliced to the cigarette cable.
IMG_2209.jpg

It is okay to remove the cigarette outlet as there is no voltage reduction circuit in the cigarette plug, as some forums have incorrectly stated.

Always On Power May Cause Some Parasitic Battery Drain
Although the kit I bought came with a magic power pro, It was not used. The car does seem to lose just one mile sometimes when parked for a while such as overnight, or during the work day. This may be an indication of some parasitic drain related to the dash cam.

128 GB microSD Card Works
The 128 GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC card worked, but not out of the box.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62

The card had to be formatted with FAT32 first. For some reason SDFormatter by Trendy didn't work nor did Windows 7 disk part. What eventually worked was using a Mac with OSX Yosemite to format FAT32. I did this by using Disk Utility, selecting the card, Erase tab, Format: MS-DOS (FAT),Erase… There has to be an easier way.

Automatically Downloading Files to a NAS
I had a use case where I would like files downloaded each day to my NAS each night without removing the SD card. It was tricky as the BlackVue is in AP mode. Eventually it worked, but involved an extra dd-wrt router installed in my garage in client AP mode, NAT, and some routing rules on the main router. My phone is now able to connect to the blackvue in the car while being on my home's wifi that has internet, not the blackvue's wifi. More on this later… Or maybe I should just install BlackVue Cloud and try it.

GPS not getting a Fix

It's been a week and the GPS hasn’t gotten a fix yet, the dash cam was installed in the standard location behind the rear view mirror.

Possible Side Airbag Problems?
Lastly, with the cable tucked in the headliner near the side airbag, could it possibly interfere with side airbag
deployment?

Automatically Downloading Files to a NAS
I had a use case where I would like files downloaded each day to my NAS each night without removing the SD card. It was tricky as the BlackVue is in AP mode. Eventually it worked, but involved an extra dd-wrt router installed in my garage in client AP mode, NAT, and some routing rules on the main router. My phone is now able to connect to the blackvue in the car while being on my home's wifi that has internet, not the blackvue's wifi. More on this later… Or maybe I should just install BlackVue Cloud and try it.

Would you mind sharing your experience and the procedure for setting this up? I was thinking of doing something similar. We can compare techniques.

GPS not getting a Fix

It's been a week and the GPS hasn’t gotten a fix yet, the dash cam was installed in the standard location behind the rear view mirror.

It won't ever get GPS signal there. Blackvue's recommendation "Don't install a windshield with a metallic layer". As if it's the windshield we're installing and not the Blackvue. Someone has to open it up and see how easy it is to install an external antenna.

Mounted mine 6 inches to the right of the rear view mirror at the top of the glass. GPS works very well. I could not mount it behind the mirror because it would have blocked my center channel speaker. I turned off all of the indicator lights except GPS, and don't even notice its there any more.

Blackvue-location.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: SwisSojourners
Had this installed and I also can't get the time to change. I set it to NY EST and it reboots and nothing changes. I also select Sync feature and again it reboots and nothing changes with the time. The date is correct though. Perplexing they still don't allow manual date setting. I also mounted it behind the mirror so I assume I will never get speed or location recorded? Also, I can't seem to turn off the wifi light and want wifi on for when I connect my phone to it. Lastly, no way to turn off the light on the back camera, it should have a dark mode. Just doesn't make sense.

Power From the Microphone Grill Cover
In the front, I got power from the microphone cover. A PC case fan connector mated perfectly to the unused connector. On the tesla connector, Grey is +12v, and Black is Ground. I'm not sure what the middle green wire does and would appreciated any info if someone knows.

View attachment 107344

@wayneone:
Beautiful install. Can you tell me what fan connector you used? It looks like a 4 pin connector, is that correct? I see a bunch on Amazon, but would like to get the correct one. Here is a close-up photo of one available here at amazon.

4-pin connector.jpg

Last edited:
Had this installed and I also can't get the time to change. I set it to NY EST and it reboots and nothing changes. I also select Sync feature and again it reboots and nothing changes with the time. The date is correct though. Perplexing they still don't allow manual date setting. I also mounted it behind the mirror so I assume I will never get speed or location recorded? Also, I can't seem to turn off the wifi light and want wifi on for when I connect my phone to it. Lastly, no way to turn off the light on the back camera, it should have a dark mode. Just doesn't make sense.

The time sync occurs when the camera gets gps data, drive a little or park the car outside. For the light you need to place a small piece of black tape.

@wayneone:
Beautiful install. Can you tell me what fan connector you used? It looks like a 4 pin connector, is that correct? I see a bunch on Amazon, but would like to get the correct one. Here is a close-up photo of one available here at amazon.

View attachment 111206
yep, that's a PC fan connector and looks like it will work.

128 GB microSD Card Works
The 128 GB Sandisk Ultra microSDXC card worked, but not out of the box.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62

The card had to be formatted with FAT32 first. For some reason SDFormatter by Trendy didn't work nor did Windows 7 disk part. What eventually worked was using a Mac with OSX Yosemite to format FAT32. I did this by using Disk Utility, selecting the card, Erase tab, Format: MS-DOS (FAT),Erase… There has to be an easier way.
In other news, my Sandisk 128GB microSD card has failed, which was annoying as I discovered that after someone keyed my car. The blackvue gives no indication of data corruption issues due to a failing SD card. I have been running with a Samsung one for about a month now without problems:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...hite/4568502.p?id=1219769554957&skuId=4568502

In other news, my Sandisk 128GB microSD card has failed, which was annoying as I discovered that after someone keyed my car. The blackvue gives no indication of data corruption issues due to a failing SD card. I have been running with a Samsung one for about a month now without problems:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...hite/4568502.p?id=1219769554957&skuId=4568502
Could it be that the constant recording over and over is exceeding the SD card's properties and specifications? What's the recording rate of the BlackVue, how many GB's per hour?

You can install the camera upside down, but I have found that it's pretty "stealth" anyway without doing it that way! Mine is installed right-side up and you cannot tell it is there as the mirror and the front windshield Tesla camera cover it up from sight.

If you install it upside down, the viewer used to playback the videos on an p/c or mac can invert the upside-down recorded videos, and I also believe the iPhone app (don't know about the Android) has an inverting capability also...but every time you want to view the video you will have to invert the picture..... just a pain to have to do that.

Seems as though the only way to use the larger 128GB microSD's on a mac is to do just what wayneone did, Disk Utility, Erase and format as MS-DOS (FAT32).

Also, do remember that SD cards are not forever and they only guarantee them for 6 months or so (depending on use.) They also recommend that you format the card every week or so.

See note #5 on this "important information" list from BlackVue Download page:

http://www.blackvue.com/support/downloads/

And further information about SD cards for the BlackVue from a dashcam retailer:

What SD Cards do we use/recommend?

Hope this information helps....