Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth phone as key is coming to Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will this be for existing or new cars?
Elon said 'All'. Soooo, hm. Man, that's gonna be hard. I think they updated some of the antennae (s) with the MCU2, but saying this will work for all of them made since forever? Engineering just fell on the floor.... (again). [How would you like to have a boss that could cause you to have a heart attack at any given time? Oh wait... lots of people like that around here..... ]

Of course, Legal could say he meant "no, no, all going *forward*, our bad!". :D

activity key is cool, but I bet Jag/LandRover patented it and will never expand beyond those two brands. More readily you could get a waterproof phone and works in 90% same activity situations. My last 3 phones all were. I think its also possible to waterproof the current tesla fob.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I have been able to use my phone as a key since I got the car. I go out to the garage to drive to the corner market to grab a gallon of milk or whatever, realize I forgot my key, so I just use my phone and off we go. Am I missing something here?
The manner that you described it dependent on having a connection with the Tesla servers. So if you have no/poor reception it might fail to connect or when the Tesla servers go down like we saw recently you could be stranded.

This is a direct connection to the car and definitely more ideal.

Really? Now I need to wear a Fitbit like device to open my car and you that it is better than something that I have already in my pocket?
The activity key is useful in a small number of situations. The phone as a key is definitely far superior.

For people that wear a smart watch, Apple watch or Android wear as a key would be better than both. Of course you would need to be much more mindful of your battery level.

Appreciate if someone near to a S/X today could test what the bluetooth range outside the car is. How far away will phone reconnect to a tesla that is already turned on.
I did a cursory test (raining outside and car is in a cinder block garage). Opened the car door and the garage side door, which faces the passenger mirror (which is where the wifi antenna is -- don't know about BT). I was able to connect at 25 feet away, and moving to 43 feet would drop the connection. Obviously different conditions will change the result, but I would think 25 feet would be workable.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
My only concern (other than maybe not getting it on my MCU1 lol) is that the backup key for Model 3 is the passive wallet card, where we would only have our original active keys as backup. So I might not want to carry the backup, and then....

Meanwhile all I want is soooo easy to add, no new hardware required just a check and alert when shifting to D: "Your Driver Profile's usual Bluetooth device isn't connected, forget something back there buddy ?"

(or am I the only one who has forgotten their phone lol)

The activity key is useful in a small number of situations. The phone as a key is definitely far superior.

For people that wear a smart watch, Apple watch or Android wear as a key would be better than both. Of course you would need to be much more mindful of your battery level.

That would be a great feature. I would also be happy if I could unlock the car with my Apple watch when the car chooses to ignore my fob.

My only concern (other than maybe not getting it on my MCU1 lol) is that the backup key for Model 3 is the passive wallet card, where we would only have our original active keys as backup. So I might not want to carry the backup, and then....
Just carry the key without battery, and follow the "dead battery" procedure when you need to use the key as backup. Then it'll be equivalent to the Model 3's key card, although more bulky.

Really? Now I need to wear a Fitbit like device to open my car and you that it is better than something that I have already in my pocket?

Definitely a yes to me. A fitbit like device is like a watch that I'll never lose and it will work everytime like a key fob. A fitbit like device means that I can take it to everywhere to some situations that I don't want to have anything in my pocket. A phone key should be a backup especially after reading many threads about it in model 3 section.

Definitely a yes to me. A fitbit like device is like a watch that I'll never lose and it will work everytime like a key fob. A fitbit like device means that I can take it to everywhere to some situations that I don't want to have anything in my pocket. A phone key should be a backup especially after reading many threads about it in model 3 section.
I think you should just chip yourself with an RFID key, then replace locks and car starters in your life with an RFID reader. You'll never lose it. How much would you pay for it?
This Wisconsin company is the first U.S. business to implant chips in it's employees

Reactions: .jg. and boonedocks
I don't really get it. The idea behind the Model 3 phone connection is, that you still have the backup key card, which can't unlock remotely. Now we have the keyfob as a backup, which still can unlock from a distance?

So unless the phone works 100% of the time, which it seems to not do for many, why would I not bring the fob?