Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another photo from the other day (thanks to lodenthal's husband for the photo ...)

three butts 2.jpg

Great thread but just cost me $500. Already configured X90D, obsidian black, showed this picture to wife who was considering switching to pearl white and so next week will contact Tesla Motors to change exterior color to pearl white and pay the $500 change fee. But very cool.

But note that Bonnie's Sig X does not have a Pearl White exterior; it's the standard white.

Almost all SUVs and CUVs have tinted rear passenger and backlight tinted from the factory. It's a difference in the laws regarding tint for "trucks" and passenger cars. Seems silly that the law still distinguishes between them but that's what I was told.

The CA law is the same for cars and trucks/SUV's/minivans which is rear windows can be tinted but not front windows. For some reasons, some say because of cooling issues, SUV and minivan always got factory tinted rear windows but rarely sedens.

Last edited:
My pearl white X should be here soon enough, but there are many model S white/pearl white comparisons on here. From a distance they look the same. Up close you can see the extra depth and metallic of pearl white.

Okay, I admit I thought the self-closing doors were a gimmick. Step on the brake & driver door shuts. Bam!

Speaking of the doors, how do they deal with obstructions, specifically when they open? In our two-cat garage, we cannot fully open the doors on either car, have you seen how the auto-present doors deal with tight parking spaces?

Thx,

O

Speaking of the doors, how do they deal with obstructions, specifically when they open? In our two-cat garage, we cannot fully open the doors on either car, have you seen how the auto-present doors deal with tight parking spaces?

Thx,

O

If objects are too close for the door to open, it senses that & will just beep once (so that you know the 'door open' was received, just couldn't be executed). If it can open, but objects are close, it literally will work around the obstacle. I tried this by first being 'too close' and then stepping back a few inches. I watched the door come up under my chin and then carefully wind its way around me.

Note that if you change the environment after opening, but before closing, sensors on the outside of the door will not be aware of the change.

This photo shows that the left door is unable to open because an object is too close, while the right door is able to be opened, even though the sensor has picked up a nearby object.

IMG_1208.JPG

Bonnie you rock!

Photos on this thread showed a 12v plug in the trunk along with USB in the front and second row (on the front and back of the center console). Are there any plugs or USB ports in the 3rd row seating area? Thinking about kids' tablet battery consumption...

I'm also curious about the "premium package" materials, upgraded leather steering wheel, panels, perforated leather seats... I guess all Sigs have that though. I'd love to finalize but that's a lingering question for me, how the car feels and behaves without the premium package stuff.

If objects are too close for the door to open, it senses that & will just beep once (so that you know the 'door open' was received, just couldn't be executed). If it can open, but objects are close, it literally will work around the obstacle. I tried this by first being 'too close' and then stepping back a few inches. I watched the door come up under my chin and then carefully wind its way around me.

Note that if you change the environment after opening, but before closing, sensors on the outside of the door will not be aware of the change.

This photo shows that the left door is unable to open because an object is too close, while the right door is able to be opened, even though the sensor has picked up a nearby object.

View attachment 105530
Cool. What about the front doors, though? Very typical scenario for us with the Model S is that we go to a typical strip mall / supermarket marking lot that has parking bays striped by people who all drive Chevy Sparks. So the Model S tires touch both lines at the same time... but even if there is slightly more width then the car, getting out is a trick. Most of the times I let the kids out first before pulling into the spot and then try to squeeze my girth out of a barely opened driver side door without touching the other car. How does this work with the auto-opening front doors? Do they have sensors, too, and stop without touching obstacles?

Cool. What about the front doors, though? Very typical scenario for us with the Model S is that we go to a typical strip mall / supermarket marking lot that has parking bays striped by people who all drive Chevy Sparks. So the Model S tires touch both lines at the same time... but even if there is slightly more width then the car, getting out is a trick. Most of the times I let the kids out first before pulling into the spot and then try to squeeze my girth out of a barely opened driver side door without touching the other car. How does this work with the auto-opening front doors? Do they have sensors, too, and stop without touching obstacles?

Auto-present will be in a future firmware update. So I don't know.

My pearl white X should be here soon enough, but there are many model S white/pearl white comparisons on here. From a distance they look the same. Up close you can see the extra depth and metallic of pearl white.

Hi, andrewket- just wondering if you'd consider showing us east-coasters your X when it arrives? Only after you've fully absorbed and enjoyed its magnificence, of course. Maybe in the form of a meet-up/cars and coffee/ road trip? We could start a new thread for us east coasters- Andrewkets Amazing X-ventures, Kets Krackalackin X-capade......

I was told by sales team at Tysons Corner that there *could* be an X available for test drive by January 2016, but not holding my breath.......

Sorry to go off-topic. Thanks, Bonnie, for your grace and generosity in sharing your newest addition.

Last edited:
Auto-present will be in a future firmware update. So I don't know.
True - Max showed in a video earlier today that you just gently tap the handle from the outside and the door opens... so I assume that opening it from the inside acts in a similar way... it auto opens a little way. Am I wrong?
Guess I should have asked him there... but he doesn't have his Model X anymore, so he can't test anything right now.

Hi, andrewket- just wondering if you'd consider showing us east-coasters your X when it arrives? Only after you've fully absorbed and enjoyed its magnificence, of course. Maybe in the form of a meet-up/cars and coffee/ road trip? We could start a new thread for us east coasters- Andrewkets Amazing X-ventures, Kets Krackalackin X-capade......

I was told by sales team at Tysons Corner that there *could* be an X available for test drive by January 2016, but not holding my breath.......

Sorry to go off-topic. Thanks, Bonnie, for your grace and generosity in sharing your newest addition.

Already planning to do so, not just for DC folks but the entire US; I'm going to coordinate an "owners tour". I'm on my phone so I can't paste the link here easily at the moment but will do so later unless someone beats me to it.

True - Max showed in a video earlier today that you just gently tap the handle from the outside and the door opens... so I assume that opening it from the inside acts in a similar way... it auto opens a little way. Am I wrong?
Guess I should have asked him there... but he doesn't have his Model X anymore, so he can't test anything right now.

I'm assuming you are asking about the front doors. From playing with Bonnie's car I'd say from the inside opening is much more like a regular car door, when you pull the handle the door unlatches and opens a small amount, you then push it as far open as you want. Double-tapping the door handle from the outside works similarly, it opens a small amount and then you manually open as far as you need.

Auto close is the magic, press the brake or pull the handle and the door closes itself!

Peter+