Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bonnie's Xcellent Adventure w/X Sig 2 - Config, Delivery, Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has it been confirmed that the auto-opening front doors can be disabled as an option if present on the vehicle? I don't need the doors to open every time I walk to/thru our garage. I can honestly say I don't see myself ever using this feature unless it has some real smarts about my intention to actually enter the vehicle. But since it was part of the premium package, unfortunately I had to choose it for the other parts of the package.

Has it been confirmed that the auto-opening front doors can be disabled as an option if present on the vehicle? I don't need the doors to open every time I walk to/thru our garage. I can honestly say I don't see myself ever using this feature unless it has some real smarts about my intention to actually enter the vehicle. But since it was part of the premium package, unfortunately I had to choose it for the other parts of the package.

I believe I saw that option in the control panel on the touchscreen in Bonnie's car.

The current firmware does not provide for automatic door opening as you approach the car - like we saw at the reveal. I am told that this is being finalized and will show up in a firmware update in the future. I believe you can turn this on or off based upon the door screen I recall.

What are the height measurements when the doors are fully opened? Is there a measurements - collection thread somewhere?

The maximum height is variable. If it is under a roof or a tree limb or whatever it opens to a different angle making it wider and not as high.

I guess you might want to know the maximum height to know how tall someone can be and still fit under it but we've already had several people above 6ft say they stepped in and out under the falcon doors with no issue.

But if you care for a garage or carport it isn't an issue unless the space is both narrow and low.

The maximum height is variable. If it is under a roof or a tree limb or whatever it opens to a different angle making it wider and not as high.

I guess you might want to know the maximum height to know how tall someone can be and still fit under it but we've already had several people above 6ft say they stepped in and out under the falcon doors with no issue.

But if you care for a garage or carport it isn't an issue unless the space is both narrow and low.
Well, I would still like to know the MAXIMUM hight, please...

Does this mean it is possible to get hit by the door when it closes if you move into its path after it was already open?

Yes, but the door moves slowly enough, that it doesn't really hurt. There are current sensors in the motors to detect the hit and stop. Supposedly there are sensors to detect fingers in the pinch points, but I haven't wanted to test that.

The FWDs are NOT foolproof. Opening, they might fail to detect things like small pipes. They will *NOT* automatically change their side space usage significantly if there is an obstruction to the side *UNLESS* you hold down the open button, but this also bypasses the "safety" of the sonar sensors looking for and avoiding obstacles. Closing, the sonar is blind, the the door simply retraces its path. If the environment changes, it will hit something, What really scare me is Bonnie's garage picture. While the FWD will adjust its opening height to account for an overhead door, the overhead door isn't as smart. If you open the FWDs first, and then open the overhead door, the overhead door might smack into the FWDs.

...rapidly approaching 1000 posts!
The thread will continue to expand as the Xcellent Adventure expands into the garage and how the Falcon Wing Doors can avoid (or won't avoid) obstacles.

...The FWDs are NOT foolproof...
I will have to brush up on my Disneyland Ride Operator skills and start announcing to my passengers, "Please remain seated and keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times. Stay clear of the doors as they close." "Please place your head against the headrest, Ludicrous Launch Mode will start in three, two, one..."

Will I need to belong to the Teamsters Union to assist passengers in and out of Model X?
:smile:

Last edited: