Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Burned by Tesla on idle fees. Something to know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even in Tokyo there are people who risk social stigma to violate "rules." (Smoking outside the designated smoking areas is one). I'm in favor of the rule, but I do acknowledge that its not perfect is all I'm saying. I could see how a couple exceptions would make sense.
ah so true, as is in any society there are the outliers however the stigma attached to being an outlier there can be severe.

Oh god. I did that a few times when on a roadtrip with a trailer. (It saved me the few minutes of dropping/reconnecting.) But I left notes ALL over the car with my phone number. And had a seat in the restaurant where I could watch the Supercharger and run out and move if need be.

Worst nightmare would be a photo of my X on TMC with a note 'Bonnie blocked all the spaces'. hahah.

ok bonnie, if a tree falls in the forest and blah, blah, blah... when you leave notes on the car and are watching from your seat in the restaurant, you performed no Tesla sin. You are being your usual considerate self. You were (almost) being too hard on yourself.

Reactions: pilotSteve
ok bonnie, if a tree falls in the forest and blah, blah, blah... when you leave notes on the car and are watching from your seat in the restaurant, you performed no Tesla sin. You are being your usual considerate self. You were (almost) being too hard on yourself.
My fear was how hard this forum would be on me. Hahaha.

Wow. Some threads here don’t garner ten comments in a week. This one earns 140+ comments in about two days. This is a most interesting thread. And I don’t think the OP intended for it to become so.

It’s hard to find another thread that has divided so many folks on either side of the fence of opinions.

Good to know that Tesla is enforcing the idle fees. Reading the forums, the news in the press and talking to other owners, just about every owner has heard that idle fees were coming. Those that ignored the info were really ignoring the warnings that they could be impacted.

I’m pleased to see the OP posted this thread to let us know the policy is in effect. He put his story out there and he had to know there would be many that did not sympathize with his actions. The pro’s and con’s on both sides of this fence has gained more visibility thanks to his post.

It’s useful to know who’s attitude about parking at SC’s is considerate and those who are less considerate. Funny too. If you review the folks less considerate some are identifying themselves by their VIN in their signature block.

This is slightly off topic. I checked my Tesla application on my smart phone earlier today. I noticed that the box to notify me upon charging completion had become unchecked. I fixed it.

I did not consciously uncheck this box. Perhaps I inadvertently did. Perhaps stuff just happens. No way to know.

I agree with the idle fee assessments. I do not agree that we have to rely upon a device to nag us if that device could somehow be switched off either by human accident or by technological hiccup.

Tesla needs to revisit their advisory/warning system methodology to ensure that those who want to comply do not wind up with a surprise because a setting on their phone somehow got changed.

Reactions: Ulmo
I did an exercise today: charge limit set to around 80%, and waited for notifications.
Notification « supercharging is almost complete » arrived at 13:05. Notification « charging complete, idle fees are now accruing » arrived at 13:08, three minutes later (in « real life », i.e. on roadtrips, I’m more used to the first message coming half an hour too early:)). I was in the car so no problem but it makes me believe that perhaps the « supercharging is almost complete » message simply depends on a certain SoC whereas obviously « charging complete » depends on the charge limit you yourself set. Would probably be better is the « almost complete » message depended on the charge limit you set. An audible chime in the car would also be helpful.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
This is slightly off topic. I checked my Tesla application on my smart phone earlier today. I noticed that the box to notify me upon charging completion had become unchecked. I fixed it.

I did not consciously uncheck this box. Perhaps I inadvertently did. Perhaps stuff just happens. No way to know.

I agree with the idle fee assessments. I do not agree that we have to rely upon a device to nag us if that device could somehow be switched off either by human accident or by technological hiccup.

Tesla needs to revisit their advisory/warning system methodology to ensure that those who want to comply do not wind up with a surprise because a setting on their phone somehow got changed.

Me too. We received a minor update to the Tesla app earlier this week. Its not the first time that an app update has reset to no, the notifications. Same boat, I think.

I choose NOT be notified when my *home* charging has completed! I would however like to be notified when SUPERCHARGING is complete. There is no option to differentiate.

I choose NOT be notified when my *home* charging has completed! I would however like to be notified when SUPERCHARGING is complete. There is no option to differentiate.
Supercharging always has notifications. There is no option to differentiate because the charging notification options only apply to AC charging.

I made two business trips to Grand Rapids from Ohio in the last several months. I stayed at a hotel by the supercharger in Grand Rapids and charged for a bit when I arrived around midnight. Then unplugged and parked for the night. I plugged back in to charge while I ate breakfast in the morning. I'll admit I was tempted to leave the car plugged in because there was no one else around both trips.

I wish OP would weigh back in, because I did notice that the supercharger availability on my nav was completely inaccurate on both trips. In Toledo (Maumee), Ann Arbor, and Grand Rapids it always showed only 2 stalls open, when in most cases no one was there. I wonder if there was issue with supercharger capacity reporting that caused the fee (not to justify staying plugged in all night)...

Idle fees do work as we see in this example. At the same time, it is a double standard to have Supercharger stations that allow general parking. I can park my ICE car there for free but as a Tesla owner you get charged $24 an hour? That's not OK.
I arrived at a Supercharger that was at a Hotel at night and all stalls except one were taken by ICE cars. When I brought it up with the hotel front desk they told me, that's their policy. They let their guest park there and only keep one Supercharger stall open.
I would say Tesla needs to address the ICE parking issue before they punish their clients for the exact same action.

Every hotel that has a Supercharger station should automatically get a few L2 chargers as well. People like to stay at hotels over night! They also like to charge their cars. Hello?! :)

Sounds like Columbia.....I had same experience when the SC first opened. Heard it's better now.

Btw: agree with posters that state Tesla's Sc status is often off. I've seen it inaccuate in several of FL, GA, SC AND NC SC's.

Reactions: David99
I believe Supercharging notifications are always ON.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 8.49.33 AM.png

Throwing in my $0.02:

1) be considerate and courteous
2) plan ahead
3) since you are an adult, act as one and don't make silly excuses that are making it convenient for you and could cause quite the opposite for everyone else.

There's only going to be more Teslas on the road. While the company is doing good job installing or upgrading superchargers, it won't be able to keep up eventually. We are not only early adopters, but should also be ambassadors and lead by example. Etiquette is a good thing and idle charge fees are a good reminder in case we deviate.

Oh god. I did that a few times when on a roadtrip with a trailer. (It saved me the few minutes of dropping/reconnecting.) But I left notes ALL over the car with my phone number. And had a seat in the restaurant where I could watch the Supercharger and run out and move if need be.
I have often mulled over the trailer charging experience. So far, I've come to the conclusion that I explicitly think this parking format should be allowed when the usage is light enough to allow it with copious room to spare for newer arrivals, and a capable driver actively alertly sitting in the driver's seat of said vehicle is able and willing to immediately move it upon the slightest need for space to be made available. Reasonable and sensible equivalent or as-good extensions of that per specific contextual conditions as they allow at the moment could be done.

The situation Bonnie described seems like a reasonable sensible extension of that per the conditions of the situation (looking out the window of a building from which she could see most of the parking situation, and proper and sufficient communication (notes)).

As both Bonnie alluded to and Bjorn has stated in some of his videos, when such a parking format breaches sensible buffer space for new arrivals, one of the most obvious ready options for such a situation is one can (and often must) reformat the parking in such a way as to move the trailer out of consideration (park it away, not attached to the front Tesla vehicle to be charged), thus removing this entire parking format issue. Of course, detaching and reattaching trailers has cost (measured mostly in time, energy, wear and tear, and unintended incident potential (so I urge due caution and practice), with the resultant potential opportunity loss (e.g., another driver could slip in to fill all spots while you're out detaching for reorientation, or you could miss distance coverage); however, the required physical activity would be some good needed exercise for many drives.

Last edited: