Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Beware! Tesla Ups Price on order by $1790.00 and And Does not Refund Order fee of $250.00!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see both sides to this story. Tesla's approach is definitely different than a traditional dealership, we all know that.

They want to make a set of rules that puts pressure on people to complete the order process, and they don't provide any wiggle room. To their credit - they need to move cars and if everyone placed a deposit but didn't complete their order it would break the system.

On the flipside, any customer that lets this happen is definitely going to have a bad experience and not want to order from them again. Tesla can't just burn through customers like this.

The thing is... what else should Tesla have done? @Surfer is the one that cancelled the order, losing the $250. What Tesla did was to no longer reserve the discounted price after a 3 day period without communication (which is outlined in the order agreement).

Tesla doesn't want to hire 50k employees to hound customers and close sales. The rules are meant to do that by putting pressure to complete the sale and take delivery.

In no way will I ever believe that this was a ploy - that they're intentionally bumping all prices up after not hearing from a customer for 3 days. What actually happened was supply and demand... the price of this car went up but would have still been sold at the originally agreed upon price had the buyer not stopped communicating for 3 days.

Perhaps Tesla should do a better job of informing customers of the "3 days without communication" consequence... like not just in the fine print, but show it somewhere during the order process... as well as a reminder email and txt, e.g. "We haven't heard from you in 2 days. Lack of communication for 3 days will forfeit the vehicle on order at the currently agreed upon price." Or something to that effect.

Ultimately though, these gripes are heavily combated by many, many posters whose experiences with Tesla sales are 1000% better than a traditional dealership. I'm in that camp. Just get back to them and complete the sale. It's not hard, and sure beats spending 5 hours at a dealership defending against high pressure tactics.

Yeah regular car dealers suck, but this is a self inflicted customer service issue.

OP seems to have a point. The Tesla terms require OP to take delivery within 3 days of the date that Tesla indicates delivery is available. OP agreed to take delivery. I don't see how OP violated the terms. Seems like Tesla is in the wrong. Hope you win your credit card chargeback.

Don't take it personally, though. It's just Tesla's somewhat mindless and souless sales / customer service system. I think it makes it easier for them to ghost people that don't fit their need to hit certain objectives and targets.

If later you find an inventory deal that's the right price, just order that one. You were right sticking to your guns.

I agree, i see nothing in the contract that Tesla relied on to raise the price on an ordered car with a confirmed delivery date. The tesla-aid drinkers will never agree and I don't really care.

OP. For about the thousandth time, write out your timeline of events starting from the order fee being placed. All you've done is contradict your own previous statements and aimlessly blame folks at Tesla and pointed to a conspiracy from Tesla corporate to renege on a price that was offered online.

Do you see how this makes you sound unhinged?

I'm sure there's some real advice to be given here if you would just clearly and concisely lay out what happened. Don't trickle down the details.

OP. For about the thousandth time, write out your timeline of events starting from the order fee being placed. All you've done is contradict your own previous statements and aimlessly blame folks at Tesla and pointed to a conspiracy from Tesla corporate to renege on a price that was offered online.

Do you see how this makes you sound unhinged?

I'm sure there's some real advice to be given here if you would just clearly and concisely lay out what happened. Don't trickle down the details.

Then did renege on the price and I never used the word conspiracy.

1/18 placed the order
1/19 set delivery date for 1/22
1/21 get updated order at full price. Call tesla and they tell me car can be restored to my order. They restore the car to my order and do not say anything about the price, so I ask and find out its $1790.00 more expensive. I tell them I will cancel if they will not restore the pricing, they say an algorithm sets the price, nothing they can do. So I cancel the order. (tesla never cancelled it they merely changed the price, i am not sure how to edit that post)
1/22 I call Tesla again, they refuse to either honor the original price or refund the $250.00 fee. I dispute the charge with my bank.

They sent me three different orders at three different prices.

1/18 placed the order
1/19 set delivery date for 1/22
1/21 get updated order at full price.

How many tasks, document uploads, and pre-delivery steps did you complete between 1/18 and 1/21 before they unmatched you from the VIN?

How many times did they text you to remind you to do so to ensure delivery?

You certainly insinuated at one.
Tesla obviously made a pricing error and then asked their underlings to contact clients and whoever did not respond instantly cancel their orders asap.
Sound familiar?

You're also missing everything that happened between 1/19 and 1/21. Was any attempt at contact made or your behalf or theirs? Did you complete everything required in the app? Post your chats if you think you're in the right.

While we're at it; your order numbers are the same but we don't see the VIN, so we're not even sure this is the same car. You probably didn't complete the steps required and they sold the car to someone who did. Now that you've procrastinated and have been moved to a different VIN, you're stuck paying full price.

Reactions: WyoDude
Tesla obviously made a pricing error and then asked their underlings to contact clients and whoever did not respond instantly cancel their orders asap.

I mean, we all know *this* didn't happen. Inventory prices are constantly fluctuating. Your price was locked in until you let the order lapse due to lack of communication.

I wish this didn't happen to you, but I understand why Tesla needs to do this. Allowing people to order direct on their website and cutting out the manual sales process has to come with constraints and stipulations. This is one of them.

Better luck next time.

You certainly insinuated at one.

Sound familiar?

You're also missing everything that happened between 1/19 and 1/21. Was any attempt at contact made or your behalf or theirs? Did you complete everything required in the app? Post your chats if you think you're in the right.

While we're at it; your order numbers are the same but we don't see the VIN, so we're not even sure this is the same car. You probably didn't complete the steps required and they sold the car to someone who did. Now that you've procrastinated and have been moved to a different VIN, you're stuck paying full price.

The car is still available at a higher price. The car is still available, I sent them a message on the Tesla App (they did not reply to) and I scheduled the delivery.

OP missed an opportunity. Happens all the time in life.
I missed the opportunity? I am the customer, they need to ACQUIRE sales, I can drive any car. You guys buy Kool-Aid by the gallon on this forum. This isn't a forum, its a cult where common sense goes to die. I am a potential 2-3 car sale for Tesla and I have bought 3 before. I missed an opportunity to be mistreated by a for profit corporation that misses big in quality and customer service. I missed nothing. DO NOT BUY FROM TESLA is the takeaway. All of you posters attacking me, instead of the customer service I received, only want to go on this board for confirmation of your bias.

I am sorry you drive vehicles from a company that mistreats its customers and potential customers.

Tesla regretted selling the car for that price so they tried to find any excuse to get out of it and then raise the price on the car.

The car is still on the site, unsold. It looks like Tesla missed an opportunity. :D

https://www.tesla.com/my/order/7SAY...egion=WA&titleStatus=new&redirect=no#overview

I guess I wasn't supposed to ask that question? Your negative response and lack of an answer speaks volumes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 1.05.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 1.05.35 PM.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude and Surfer
If you placed the order for a set price, they cannot increase the price. They have to honor the price. If they don't you are entitled to the $250 order fee refund. You can talk to a lawyer about this.
Correct, what the zombie kool-aid drinking tesla-bots don't seem to understand is the price on the order is as important on the order document as anything else. Anyways in the interests of being solution oriented, I did ask for a manager to call me and I will post results here.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
They never cancelled the order, I am not sure how to edit that post. But I did correct it about 6 times. This is a horrible and arbitrary customer service experience that potential buyers should know about. Yeah lets delete threads, better yet lets start burning books. Thats brilliant! LOL

As others have requested, can you please post a timeline, including completion (or not) of the various steps Tesla requires for them to execute your order? (EDIT: changed from complete to execute your order to clarify I mean from Tesla's side to deliver you your vehicle)
Then it's easier for people to judge what happened.

We understand that Tesla didn't cancel the order, but they stopped honoring the previous price, which is effectively the same thing.

Last edited: