Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California VINs: are you still waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Invited 2/14, Configured 2/18. Black, 18" Aero, Enhanced autopilot. Southern California. Previous owner. No VIN.

Has anyone gone over 6 weeks to get a VIN?

Please keep us posted on your progress. I've got the same configuration in SoCal ordered, but you have me beat by 4 weeks on the order time. I'm hoping there's a big batch of Black Aeros coming!

With everyone focusing on configurations dictating the wait time I'm beginning to wonder about purchase terms affecting things as well. Would it not suit Teslas bottom line to clear people who aren't trading in or financing first?

With everyone focusing on configurations dictating the wait time I'm beginning to wonder about purchase terms affecting things as well. Would it not suit Teslas bottom line to clear people who aren't trading in or financing first?

Shouldn't be the case. From my understanding, they get a payment from CarMax - who then turns around and sells the car. For financing, Tesla is getting their money at the time of delivery (from the bank where the loan was drawn) regardless.

No VIN? Wow, that's shocking. I assume you contacted Tesla to see what's going on?

Yes. I was told "this is totally normal." I asked if I should call back in a week. They told me to call back in two weeks.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I've got the same configuration in SoCal ordered, but you have me beat by 4 weeks on the order time. I'm hoping there's a big batch of Black Aeros coming!

I'm paying cash.

It would only matter if there was a delay in financing for a specific person but they would not know that. I put down I would pay cash then decided to finance it. My reservation still shows cash and I am past 4 weeks with no VIN. It didn't help me to "show" cash. There are plenty of discussions of people financing so I don't think they are doing that.

Multiple VIN assignments being reported in the VIN assignment thread. All outside of California and most configured after 2/22. End of Q1 has passed. I don't understand why Tesla is ignoring California orders and prioritizing out of California deliveries.

Multiple VIN assignments being reported in the VIN assignment thread. All outside of California and most configured after 2/22. End of Q1 has passed. I don't understand why Tesla is ignoring California orders and prioritizing out of California deliveries.

They just finished prioritizing California. Most of the cars were delivered "locally" in CA the last two weeks as less lead time was necessary for transportation (and would help Q1 numbers).

They just finished prioritizing California. Most of the cars were delivered "locally" in CA the last two weeks as less lead time was necessary for transportation (and would help Q1 numbers).
I didn't get a VIN during the time you mention CA was being prioritized and noticed a bunch of out of CA VIN assignments with later configuration dates than mine at that time too. More out of CA now as well. I guess I was hoping the configuration date would set VIN assignment and delivery order. Clearly it does not. And the CA prioritization (if it happened) skipped me. Given the title of this thread, I'm not alone.

My New Equation: 2 years + 2 days = M3
2 years + 2 days = 732 days = 17,568 hours until delivery of our Tesla Model 3!

Yes delivery really happened; Monday, 4/2 my wife and I took delivery at the new San Diego Delivery Center. The experience was positively excellent. Kudos for this positive experience start with Elle, our ISA. Starting with her first contact last week she kept me continually appraised of progress and next steps via e-mails and phone calls. She even went the extra mile to coordinate with Kia Finance to obtain their release of our personalized plates we had on our leased Kia Soul EV+ that we turned in last week. John greeted us warmly at the door and he was the person to take care of document signing. He had everything ready for us to sign; all paperwork in place including the CA DMV transfer of our existing personalized plates to the M3. Without Elle's help; we probably would of needed to first receive standard issue plates in about 45 days and then deal with the DMV to transfer the personalized plates to the M3. John then introduced us to Jose who spent a good amount of time while we took pictures; carefully examined the vehicle using the checklist found on the forum; paired our iPhones to the vehicle and the keycards; and provided an excellent overview and demonstration of touchscreen functions, vehicle operation, etc. He was quite knowledgeable, proficient, answered all of our questions, and was a pleasure to work with. During our inspection we did notice the driver side door didn't quite align flush with the side panel; also there was a small gap in the seal at the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. He immediately had someone look at it; advised they agreed it needed correction and said it could be done there. He apologized that it may take a half-hour to correct. Within half an hour the door was perfectly aligned; the windshield seal addressed (though it probably never would of been a problem as is); and also had our personalized plates installed providing a Tesla M3 frame on both the front and rear. It's been a long 2 years and 2 days since standing in line at Fashion Valley mall in San Diego; but after driving the car for only about 35 miles - it was worth it. The car looks great and is delightful to drive. Many thanks to many contributors on this forum who provided valuable insight; checklists; and shared the experience of the wait.

Configured 2/28, Blue, Aero, EAP. Tomorrow marks 5 weeks. Called at 4 weeks just to check in and no info was given.

Same: 2/28 config (MSM, Aero). I haven't heard a peep so I called them. Apparently I have been assigned an ISA but they never reached out to me. (I understand that's common until you get VIN and even then it can take days for contact.) So I finally talk to the ISA and they have no idea when VIN will be assigned even though other people who configured on the same day have already received cars in my area. Incredibly frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Same: 2/28 config (MSM, Aero). I haven't heard a peep so I called them. Apparently I have been assigned an ISA but they never reached out to me. (I understand that's common until you get VIN and even then it can take days for contact.) So I finally talk to the ISA and they have no idea when VIN will be assigned even though other people who configured on the same day have already received cars in my area. Incredibly frustrating.

In same boat, config and order date as you until this morning when I found the VIN assigned, taking delivery in Marina del Rey. Got email from ISA 2 days after configuration just to touch base. Car is not off the line yet and hopefully it will be ready in a few days. I think you will get VIN very soon.