Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone actually get summon to work at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've kind of given up on mine personally. In the dozen or so times I've tried to use it I managed to move my car backwards about 3 feet one time only. I'm in range, my car has great reception as does my phone, but for some reason it just never works. I wonder if we'll ever get summon via FOB. There are quite a few times it could have been really handy but I honestly am afraid to try and use it because even if I can use it in one direction parking in a tight spot for example that it might fail when trying to get out.

Can anyone use it at least semi-reliably? I know it's not really much more than a party trick, but there are the odd time where I really wish that it actually worked.

I've kind of given up on mine personally. In the dozen or so times I've tried to use it I managed to move my car backwards about 3 feet one time only. I'm in range, my car has great reception as does my phone, but for some reason it just never works. I wonder if we'll ever get summon via FOB. There are quite a few times it could have been really handy but I honestly am afraid to try and use it because even if I can use it in one direction parking in a tight spot for example that it might fail when trying to get out.

Can anyone use it at least semi-reliably? I know it's not really much more than a party trick, but there are the odd time where I really wish that it actually worked.
This is a common sentiment.

The Canadian summon requires you to use the App (vs US App or fob). I find it works *better* if you have wifi - but that doesn't help if you are away from home. It works for me about 50% of the time. I've only needed to use it once (big puddle in the only parking spot), and it didn't work - wet shoes......The rest of the time it's to demonstrate it to others.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I use it everyday morning Monday to Friday to back my car out of the garage. It fails to work at all maybe once every two weeks.

I usually have TeslaFi wake up my car at a set time everyday so I don't have to wait for the app to connect when I'm ready to leave. I also have strong wifi in my garage.

Hmm I wonder what’s going on for me then. Even in my driveway where I do have good wifi it fails the majority of the time. I did mention this on my last service appointment and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong so I guess I’ll just have to live with it. It’s interesting to see that it works semi reliably for some and as poorly as it does with me for others. Very hot and miss!

Also use it daily here to back out of the garage. In my case I actually usually find it works better off wifi .but basically it works for me both ways. Also I usually get it to work from inside the house if I just crack the garage door a bit...puts me about 10 feet or so away from the car. Once it starts moving I can usually walk away while still holding my phone and it completes.

If you can reproduce it at the SC I would show the techs. Your profile pic shows you with a model S, so that may be the difference. I've got a 3, and it seems they are better with 'canadian sumon'

Yes I have a '15 Model S. I've had antenna issues with it in the past (where they said it wasn't an antenna issue but instead replaced my MCU which I didn't complain about), but I think you're right. Before my warranty ends I'd like to get any potential antenna stuff sorted out. Instead of relying on them to test it out maybe you're right, the next time I will show them the issues I have with it.

This is a common sentiment.

The Canadian summon requires you to use the App (vs US App or fob). I find it works *better* if you have wifi - but that doesn't help if you are away from home. It works for me about 50% of the time. I've only needed to use it once (big puddle in the only parking spot), and it didn't work - wet shoes......The rest of the time it's to demonstrate it to others.

I agree. I'd also suggest holding the fob out of your pocket, especially if you've got other vehicle keys on your key ring. It works best if you're directly on one side of the car or the front, but not by the rear quarter panel for some reason.

If we *ever* get enhanced Summon and it works reasonably well, I'll consider using it more frequently.

We also use it quite often to roll the X out of the garage. Works reliably, no issues at all. If only it could also unplug the charger...

Usually you start by standing next to the garage door, so the phone connects pretty much immediately. Although I once tried to summon it from the living room while watching the security feed, and it worked too, to my surprise. Guess one of the keys was close enough.

I managed to make it work reliably in the last two days. It only seems to work well if I stand within a foot or so of the car itself, and definitely works best on wifi for me. Hmm ... still unsure if there's an issue with mine or I just have my expectations set too high :)

Used it today for fun to move the car out after unplugging. It turned left and the car on a slant on the driveway. Would be interesting to see if it'll avoid a car that's parked there and correct it's line of travel. My driveway is long enough to park four cars plus two inside the garage. Time to test this with some cardboard boxes :D.

No connectivity issues at all (Phone acted as mobile hotspot to relay Wifi signal).

I find it works about 90% of the time for me. I’m generally pretty close when I use it (a foot or two away), and the times it hasn’t worked have largely been when I’ve been pushing the limits of what it can do. Last failure was while I was digging my car out of a two foot deep snow drift, and tried to see if summon would drive out of the drift for me. It didn’t, but I figure that’s a combination of the sensors going off from snow cover, plus the wheels encountering resistance that the car could think is a low curb is why it didn’t.