Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I reject perfectly fine car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check your order agreement, should tell you how many days you may push the sale out from "first contact" before they cancel you.

One interesting thing is that despite this in my order agreement:

For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
The "can only have 2 VINs assigned per order" rule must override this.

I rejected the vehicle from the "first attempt" and then had less than 30 days to take delivery of the second vehicle or they would cancel my order and keep my order fee.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and ord3r
Cool your jets there and read my question again. I am not delaying forever , I am asking if I can reject a car with no visual defect so that I may delay for roughly 2 weeks. I am seeking to have a car with the sensors they removed or as we are about two weeks away from model year 2023 I would like to receive a car in the current model year instead of what will appear to be an older vehicle when I go to sell this thing.

Because of Tesla's poor planning or desire to deliver higher priced cars first to help themselves the car I ordered a year ago and was promised in May is now being delivered in October after jerking me around until the very last minute. It is not unreasonable for me to ask if I can reject a vehicle and get the next one in two weeks time if the vehicle I am presented does not have the basic sensors I want and were on the vehicle when I agreed to purchase. Getting a 2023 model year is a consolation.

Tesla people really are a special breed ...

Of course it can, you can always make *sugar* up. "This panel looks off... I'm rejecting it". The guys not going to pull out a micrometer and show you its not. It's within your rights to do that. It's also within their rights to cancel the deal. I don't think they'd do that though

Im not sure why you are quoting me when you say that, I never said they would or wouldnt disable them in current vehicles at some point, or at least I dont remember saying any such thing.
Wasn’t targeted at you, just that since you brought up the “in favor of Tesla vision” I could see them doing to the sensors what they did to radar when they moved to Tesla vision and just bricking them so the OP could hope for them only to see them removed in short order.

• Funny
Reactions: JDEWD250
I am actually ok If they disable USS when they have even a half baked solution. I just would feel better, especially with a new shiny car, having the sensors to help Me park while I learn the car so I don’t run into my narrow garage. I am pretty short and visibility in the Y isn’t great for me.

Yea, I am supposed to take delivery Thursday. I want to go physically see the car and if it doesn't have the sensors I am ok rejecting and taking the next but I am running the risk of the second one being a dumpster fire of poor craftsmanship. I just don't know if Tesla will let me reject a car I have physically seen when there is nothing wrong with it.
Have you asked your local delivery peeps if your assigned VIN have or not have USS?

Yea , no reply yet but usually the sales reps don’t know too much compared to folks here.
Do you have a P in the tenth spot of your VIN? If so, it's a 2023 year model. They switched to 2023 year model on Oct 4th, which is also when they started with the new bumpers that don't have ultrasonic sensors.

If you have an N for the tenth spot of your VIN, then it's still a 2022 year model and will have the old bumpers with ultrasonic sensors.

It's one or the other.

Lastly, your vehicle purchase agreement will also list the model year. My wife and I are getting a 2023 model year.

Reactions: Z_Lynx and RoBoRaT
Cool your jets there and read my question again. I am not delaying forever , I am asking if I can reject a car with no visual defect so that I may delay for roughly 2 weeks. I am seeking to have a car with the sensors they removed or as we are about two weeks away from model year 2023 I would like to receive a car in the current model year instead of what will appear to be an older vehicle when I go to sell this thing.

Because of Tesla's poor planning or desire to deliver higher priced cars first to help themselves the car I ordered a year ago and was promised in May is now being delivered in October after jerking me around until the very last minute. It is not unreasonable for me to ask if I can reject a vehicle and get the next one in two weeks time if the vehicle I am presented does not have the basic sensors I want and were on the vehicle when I agreed to purchase. Getting a 2023 model year is a consolation.

Tesla people really are a special breed ...
I actually wasn't responding to your specific situation - should have pointed that out. You haven't been around long enough to see all of the folks that wanted to delay for the reasons I noted in my post. I think you have the answers from others that you need to make a decision in your scenario.

Yea, I am supposed to take delivery Thursday. I want to go physically see the car and if it doesn't have the sensors I am ok rejecting and taking the next but I am running the risk of the second one being a dumpster fire of poor craftsmanship. I just don't know if Tesla will let me reject a car I have physically seen when there is nothing wrong with it.
The answer to this is yes. My husband rejected a car sight unseen in June because he was unexpectedly laid off. But we were then required to accept delivery of the next VIN in July, on a vehicle that had been manufactured in March. Failure to accept delivery of that VIN would have been an automatic cancelation of the order, which would have sent us back to the end of the line and with a higher purchase price. So, yes, you can reject it but don't assume you will get what you want the 2nd round.

Reactions: ord3r
My delivery is due 10/9-10/23 and assuming that date sticks I’d like to see if my car is delivered with USS. If not I was thinking of rejecting so I can get a car in November which is likely to be a 2023 model at least and I’ll save on payments and insurance for a time when I won’t be driving anyway. I don’t need a car until late November.

Can I reject a perfectly fine car in this scenario?
You will have to pay more for the vehicle, and it's not a small amount.

One interesting thing is that despite this in my order agreement:

The "can only have 2 VINs assigned per order" rule must override this.

I rejected the vehicle from the "first attempt" and then had less than 30 days to take delivery of the second vehicle or they would cancel my order and keep my order fee.
I think there is also a must take delivery within 6 months of order date criteria, unless the delay is Tesla's fault. (I think newer agreements have reduced it to 3 months.)

Anyone know when the 30 days clock starts to tick? Is it the day they try to actually schedule delivery? If so what happens to the car, does it sit on the delivery center lot for 30 days? I currently have an EDD window of 10/18-25 and the exact delivery date has not been schedule.

Anyone know when the 30 days clock starts to tick? Is it the day they try to actually schedule delivery? If so what happens to the car, does it sit on the delivery center lot for 30 days? I currently have an EDD window of 10/18-25 and the exact delivery date has not been schedule.
NM, I found the details in my order agreement. See below. Seems pretty clear it's 14 days from the day they try to schedule delivery. Car probably sits on the lot waiting for you to come get it.

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will
notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as
we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not
respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available
for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within fourteen (14) days of our first attempt to
notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
My delivery is due 10/9-10/23 and assuming that date sticks I’d like to see if my car is delivered with USS. If not I was thinking of rejecting so I can get a car in November which is likely to be a 2023 model at least and I’ll save on payments and insurance for a time when I won’t be driving anyway. I don’t need a car until late November.

Can I reject a perfectly fine car in this scenario?
I’m in the exact same scenario as you and would prefer a 2023 model. Called Tesla and was told they cannot confirm anything until a VIN is assigned. Given that I’m coming of a hold, I will need to accept my second VIN. If it is indeed a 2022 model, I may just cancel the order, and see if there is a 2023 model in the existing inventory. I will lose the initial $250, but that is life!