Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceled my Model X order . . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Doc Brown

I ordered my Model X in November to take advantage of some tax incentives. I hadn’t heard anything into mid-December so I reached out to Tesla to figure out what to do - I was going to be away between Christmas and New Years. Got connected to a good sales associate who matched me to an inventory car in Fremont. It was supposed to arrive before I left but didn’t. They "unmatched" me New Years Eve and sold the car to someone else. The VIN for that car still shows in my source code.

when I returned home (Jan 2) I got a call that my car was "in" at the delivery center. I stopped by but there was no car there for me. The SA there said they’d need to "reorder" my original car - so he went into my account and reconfigured it to a car very different from my original order. There was (is) no option to modify the design and he didn’t respond to my emails to get it corrected. Come the end of January and I’ve heard absolutely nothing. Decided to cancel.

so - I’m headed back to the sidelines to see what happens. I’ve probably freed up a car near production - so if someone was waiting for a white MXP - you might get bumped up in line.

I’m an investor too - so I love that people are willing to tolerate this kind of treatment. Still waiting for our MY too - so I haven’t completely checked out.

oh well . . .

35E677E5-DCC0-470B-985B-7C2E643D0A8C.jpeg

Customer service plummets at the end of quarters and pivots to exclusively trying to get as many cars out of the door. Try again now. They'll be back to focusing on closing sales.

The only negative is you'll have to wait at least a month for Tesla to pivot back to North America deliveries.

Are you an existing Telsa owner? If yes, there's a great group called "Ownership Loyalty Advisors" that are really good to work with to get you into another Tesla.

And this is what will kill the company. My MS has been out of service for 3 months waiting for a hood, front bumper, and front fender.

The parts sat for over 2 weeks waiting for shipping labels to be created. Elon must step into a visionary/evangelist role and out of daily operations. He is incapable of managing a company of this size. He has the attention span of an 8 year old and things like inventory management are boring to him so they get no attention.

I am looking forward to the Hummer announcement as well as the new trucks from Ford, Rivian, Atlis, etc. I can't go back to an ICE but after this parts disaster I'm ready to move on from Tesla.

I don’t blame you. This is the kind of stuff that kills good companies. My parents decided against buying a Tesla after seeing my chaotic delivery experience. Tesla fanboys, like me, might be willing to tolerate the service because the cars are so awesome. However, people who are not already big fans and are used to being treated like royalty by other high end dealerships will tell Tesla to go take a hike when treated like this.

Ordering in Nov for Delivery at end of Quarter and End of Year AND not being flexible on delivery date is Tesla's fault.

OK.
Reading for comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit. Did you miss the part where Tesla said their car was at the delivery center but when the OP went there the car wasn't there? Or the part about them reordering their original configuration but ordered the wrong configuration?

I'm not blaming the Tesla employees. They are working their butts off using horrible, duct tape and bailing wire systems because Elon doesn't have a single clue about how to run a company larger than 20 people and no one that does will work for him because he's a micromanager from hell.

It is hard for me to believe anyone would pass on one of the best vehicles made because of the purchasing experience. Relatively speaking, every ICE vehicle I bought, which has been many (10+), was horrible. But, I can attribute most of that pain was from the negotiation on price and dealer installed crap. Since most ICE cars are bought out of inventory, the actual deliver is mute. So with Tesla, we have to deal with logistics of the vehicle which is a completely different kind of challenge. Personally, I can deal more with the logistical problems rather than the ICE negotiating problems. I do acknowledge that logistics should be able to be improved. And, they don't seem to be getting better. I attribute inconsistent delivery experiences to be a corporate management problem. There doesn't seem to be any incentive at the local level to be good or bad. If you have a good SC, it is only because the local manager has pride in his work void of any Tesla driven incentives to be better.

Tesla service and the way they approach customer relations is quite frankly appalling. But... the car is so good I am willing to put up with it.

By contrast I bought a new McLaren in May 2019 (not willing to give up ICE just yet for my fun weekend car) and I got treated / still get treated like royalty by my salesman / the service center staff. Will never go back to ICE for my daily driver (also have a Cyber Truck on order), they are like dinosaurs and clearly legacy technology compared to EV’s.... but Tesla, please fix your customer service!!

Reactions: Vitaman
It is hard for me to believe anyone would pass on one of the best vehicles made because of the purchasing experience.

Well - I really never made it to purchase. I don’t need a new car. The wife and I went to look at getting her a M3. it, and the S, were too "low" for her - so we ordered a Y. For fun - we drove an X and, a couple of months later - decided to go all-in on Tesla and ordered the X. I might be back - or I might wait to see what else hits the market later this year. I really want to see what the Hummer EV looks like. Tesla and I didn’t break up - we’re just on a break.

It is hard for me to believe anyone would pass on one of the best vehicles made because of the purchasing experience. Relatively speaking, every ICE vehicle I bought, which has been many (10+), was horrible. But, I can attribute most of that pain was from the negotiation on price and dealer installed crap. Since most ICE cars are bought out of inventory, the actual deliver is mute. So with Tesla, we have to deal with logistics of the vehicle which is a completely different kind of challenge. Personally, I can deal more with the logistical problems rather than the ICE negotiating problems. I do acknowledge that logistics should be able to be improved. And, they don't seem to be getting better. I attribute inconsistent delivery experiences to be a corporate management problem. There doesn't seem to be any incentive at the local level to be good or bad. If you have a good SC, it is only because the local manager has pride in his work void of any Tesla driven incentives to be better.
My whole point is that these are own goals. Delivering cars and providing spare parts are table stakes to existing car companies. There are literally thousands of people in the industry that could fix this for Tesla. But Elon is so f'ing arrogant that he's unable to hire/retain these people to fix it.

Just read through this thread. There are a bunch of longtime Tesla advocates (that have purchased multiple vehicles) that are sick of being treated this way. It's a sea change in opinion. Yes, the products are still the best out there but once there are viable alternatives Tesla will have a fight on its hands.

Interestingly, the fight seems to be developing in the truck market. I don't see anything interesting on the sedan/SUV side in the near term but there are multiple trucks on the horizon that have my attention.

Reactions: lowtek

10 ICE cars and everyone horrible? I’ve enjoyed almost every car I bought as well as the dealerships (probably more than 10, I lost count). I really enjoyed 6 grand Cherokees. Most were zero haggle. Several were ordered. Service departments were mostly great. Not perfect. I can only think of one incident where they would not fix my ABS because I had a 3rd party brake controller for the HITCH. Same exact one now in the X.

I do hate haggling though and there were some purchases that the haggling spoiled the whole purchasing experience.

I will never buy another GM product. I bought a 2019 Volt along with the Raven X this past year. My Model 3 purchase was smooth in 2018. My Model X order and arrival went smooth (4 weeks arrived mid sept). But they did screw up the trade in paper work (tax credit on trade). Condition of both were not perfect but but very good. No service needed.

I find it funny the OP is not happy with Tesla/X and considering the GMC Hummer EV. Every GM dealer gets to choose which models they sell. The also choose which models they service. What price they sell for. And if they support their App or not (for service appointments etc.). They get to choose What Extended Service plans they sell and what price. It’s an absolute joke.

I ordered my new Raven Model X end of November 2019 and it came Dec 15, no problems. The delivery center was super busy so I had to wait about 30 minutes to pick it up so I talked to all the other people who were picking up new cars while I waited. I didn't find it to be a bad delivery experience. I wish they had brought it to my house, but that was not an option for me.

Reactions: wreighven and kelly
Wait another quarter to see if they release a 120KWh version. Sorry to hear about your problems.

When we ordered ours in August last year, wait time went from 2 weeks to 6 weeks post purchase. Luckily enough, our advisor was responsive.

Tesla must be doing something right. They delivered 50% more cars in 2019 than in 2018.

A company growing this fast is bound to have some orders falling through the cracks.

OP sounds like his ordering process has been pretty frustrating.

The wait is perhaps the hardest part of getting such an aspirational car. Everyone wants the process to go smoothly, and as expected.

The lines to buy a new Tesla curls around the block. Many have waited for over a year to get the specific configurations they wanted.

At a certain point, some will simply throw up their hands and bail. Perhaps circle back at a later date to try again.

In a world of so much instant gratification and next day deliver from Amazon, waiting for your own bespoke Tesla can seem like forever.

10 ICE cars and everyone horrible? I’ve enjoyed almost every car I bought as well as the dealerships (probably more than 10, I lost count). I really enjoyed 6 grand Cherokees. Most were zero haggle. Several were ordered. Service departments were mostly great. Not perfect. I can only think of one incident where they would not fix my ABS because I had a 3rd party brake controller for the HITCH. Same exact one now in the X.

I do hate haggling though and there were some purchases that the haggling spoiled the whole purchasing experience.

I will never buy another GM product. I bought a 2019 Volt along with the Raven X this past year. My Model 3 purchase was smooth in 2018. My Model X order and arrival went smooth (4 weeks arrived mid sept). But they did screw up the trade in paper work (tax credit on trade). Condition of both were not perfect but but very good. No service needed.

I find it funny the OP is not happy with Tesla/X and considering the GMC Hummer EV. Every GM dealer gets to choose which models they sell. The also choose which models they service. What price they sell for. And if they support their App or not (for service appointments etc.). They get to choose What Extended Service plans they sell and what price. It’s an absolute joke.
Not to mention, good luck with getting that Electric Hummer charged up on the road. People seem to forget about the moat that is the Supercharger network for Tesla. Charging outside of that network is clunky and hit or miss at best, and that is what GM will have to rely on. Let’s all hope that no one is able to nail down a deal with Tesla to share use (which I highly doubt), but that is really the only way that those vehicles become viable to a mass audience in the short term.

Reactions: posity