Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't leave car at airport... battery dies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What else do we have - huh? Take away our gloating and all we have is perfect weather every day (74 right now), virtually no traffic compared to LA. NYC, D.C.,or SF. We wear shorts year round. Never wear a jacket.

We can't do road trips that consumes a full battery? I've driven all day and still have 70 miles when I got home.

And we don't have a Gibson's. (Send me some barbecue)

I don't know if I have Smart Preconditioning, weekend mode, be-nice-and-don't-strand-me mode, or whatever. I really have expected (hoped?) that Telsa's default configuration would not be to drain from 220mi to 40mi in two days. I charged all the way to 268mi (maxed out battery) knowing that it had trouble keeping charge, but it didn't matter.

Anyway, I'm in the airport now, flying home to Denver. I guess we'll see if I'm taking a 1am Uber! :)

I don't know if I have Smart Preconditioning, weekend mode, be-nice-and-don't-strand-me mode, or whatever. I really have expected (hoped?) that Telsa's default configuration would not be to drain from 220mi to 40mi in two days. I charged all the way to 268mi (maxed out battery) knowing that it had trouble keeping charge, but it didn't matter.

Anyway, I'm in the airport now, flying home to Denver. I guess we'll see if I'm taking a 1am Uber! :)

Since I have been updated from 2017 42 to 2017 50.2 I have found the car to be running 'camper mode' twice in my absence while the car was plugged in charging in the garage.

The first time I estimate that it was running 'camper mode' or 'smart preconditioning' for about 6hr before I went out to set up HomeLink for the garage door, I found camper mode ON so I set it to OFF.

The second time happened 2 days when I went out to check a USB stick that I was preparing to use a road trip it was back into camper mode again...argh what is going on with this new load?, is it the lump of coal that the Santa load brought because I was a bad boy?

After reading Tam's post I went out and checked smart preconditioning and sure enough it was ON. So I am blaming it on Smarty Pants who is like a dog waiting by the door with the leash in his mouth ready to go for a (drive) walk.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Well, I am home. Landed last night around 12:30am and the car showed that snowflake icon on the battery display (Donner Summit Mode?). When I got to the car, the display immediately said, "Very Low Battery" which I'd never seen before. It showed 26mi of range remaining and it was 21F outside. This meant a mandatory trip to the supercharger (which unfortunately is not on my way home).

I figured the 8 mi trip to the supercharger was not risky with 26mi of range, so I drove normally (i.e., turned on the heat, drove at 70mph in a 65) but after 4mi I looked down and saw that I had 12mi remaining! My 4mi drive had consumed 14mi of rated range and I still had 4mi left to go! I really didn't want to be stranded at 1am in cold weather... so I slowed down to about 50mph and turned off everything. No heat, no seat heater, not even the radio. The car began driving different... I could feel the responsiveness decline as it went into some other mode attempting to not die.

I reached the supercharger with 4mi left on the battery. Strangely, after 5min of charging, I got up to 5mi of charge. After another 5mins it was 15mi of charge. The car said "supercharging" but was charging at a rate of 27mi per hour of charge. I have used superchargers before and usually it's 200+ miles for each hour. Perhaps the cold? Perhaps the depleted state of my battery? After about half an hour, it was up to 140mi per hour, and the car had 100mi of charge so I could make it home.

Home at 2am. Exhausted.

I won't be taking my Tesla to the airport any more... it's too risky

I reached the supercharger with 4mi left on the battery. Strangely, after 5min of charging, I got up to 5mi of charge. After another 5mins it was 15mi of charge. The car said "supercharging" but was charging at a rate of 27mi per hour of charge. I have used superchargers before and usually it's 200+ miles for each hour. Perhaps the cold?

Yep, when the battery is that cold it has to charge slowly while it warms the battery and speeds up once the battery is up to temperature.

Well, I am home. Landed last night around 12:30am It showed 26mi of range remaining and it was 21F outside. This meant a mandatory trip to the supercharger (which unfortunately is not on my way home).
After about half an hour, it was up to 140mi per hour, and the car had 100mi of charge so I could make it home.
Home at 2am. Exhausted.

ozweepay, glad to hear you made it home. Glad too that your S is some safely too.

Did you happen to check the app to see if some of the 40 miles were locked away in the blue "snowflake" portion of the battery?

As far as warranty, your car isn't 8 years old yet is it? So the battery should still be covered.
no snowflake. bumper to bumper is over. battery warranty is good yet for 6 1/2 years, but if it's not battery related it could get expensive real fast, though, with how fast my 90 is degrading, who knows. im down 22 rated miles in 1 1/2 years and 50,000 miles. Pack capacity is 77.9 kWh according to the BMS. Pack is well equalized, and last check was at about 6mV balance.

Well, I am home. Landed last night around 12:30am and the car showed that snowflake icon on the battery display (Donner Summit Mode?). When I got to the car, the display immediately said, "Very Low Battery" which I'd never seen before. It showed 26mi of range remaining and it was 21F outside. This meant a mandatory trip to the supercharger (which unfortunately is not on my way home).

I figured the 8 mi trip to the supercharger was not risky with 26mi of range, so I drove normally (i.e., turned on the heat, drove at 70mph in a 65) but after 4mi I looked down and saw that I had 12mi remaining! My 4mi drive had consumed 14mi of rated range and I still had 4mi left to go! I really didn't want to be stranded at 1am in cold weather... so I slowed down to about 50mph and turned off everything. No heat, no seat heater, not even the radio. The car began driving different... I could feel the responsiveness decline as it went into some other mode attempting to not die.

I reached the supercharger with 4mi left on the battery. Strangely, after 5min of charging, I got up to 5mi of charge. After another 5mins it was 15mi of charge. The car said "supercharging" but was charging at a rate of 27mi per hour of charge. I have used superchargers before and usually it's 200+ miles for each hour. Perhaps the cold? Perhaps the depleted state of my battery? After about half an hour, it was up to 140mi per hour, and the car had 100mi of charge so I could make it home.

Home at 2am. Exhausted.

Not risky at all when everything is working correctly and the settings are correct. You really should get to the bottom of this.

If smart preconditioing and cabin overheat protection were OFF, I suggest you call Tesla, explain what happened and ask them to pull the logs to find out what was sucking your battery dry. Please report back to us.

Not risky at all when everything is working correctly and the settings are correct. You really should get to the bottom of this.

If smart preconditioing and cabin overheat protection were OFF, I suggest you call Tesla, explain what happened and ask them to pull the logs to find out what was sucking your battery dry. Please report back to us.
Just checked. Smart Preconditioning was off. Energy Saving mode was on. Cabin overheat was on.

Temps were in the 10-20F range most of the two days where I went from 220mi range to 40mi range.

There really needs to be a button or setting for Teslas that put it into "long term sleep" mode or something.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There really needs to be a button or setting for Teslas that put it into "long term sleep" mode or something.

We left our car at the airport a couple of weeks ago. It got down to the 30’s, but we only lost 30 miles in 10 days. It would be convenient to have a “hibernation” button for situations like this.

I hope you will bring it to Tesla’s attention and they can identify what happened.

My airport battery story is unfolding currently and curious if anyone has seen this before.

I parked the car on Friday at the airport and plugged it in to a Blink charger. I checked on the charging and it did fine and completed a couple of hours later.

I then checked in on the car with both the Tesla app and Dashboard for Tesla and now I have both a 'fully charged' and '0' percent battery remaining.

I checked with Tesla and the response was that it is likely just in need of a screen reboot. Nonetheless, it's a little unnerving to see '0' battery and just have to wait until we get back to see what's really happening.

Anyone seen this before?
Screenshot_20171231-095615.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

Agreed. When I was in China Last Year (Errr. forgot it's the first, so 2016) for 2 weeks while getting married, my 90D sat unplugged in the driveway. Wasnt frigid cold, however, it was in the high 30's to low 50's while gone. only lost about 30 miles while gone