Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stock MYP is a complete mess anywhere near the handling limit but so is just about any vehicle with this size/weight... it's stiff and has enough grip so it's pretty satisfying at reasonable speeds (especially if you get rid of the stock wheels which weigh almost 40 pounds each). There does seems to be general consensus among the youtube reviewers that the other models have the same problem. Unfortunately Tesla's performance suspension engineering seems to lag behind the competition (BMW M, AMG, Audi RS etc.).
Disagree. Yes, stability control gets in the way in the MYP anywhere near the limit, but calling it a complete mess is more than a bit melodramatic. We absolutely need track mode as we were promised early on for the MYP. Yes the rather large wheels are heavy, as are most any factory wheels of that size, with some exceptions of course. The BMW XM3 has a stiffer ride and yet can't keep up with my Y on a track. Yes, a few judicious mods make a huge difference on the track, and the same can be said of the competition that is anywhere near the same price range. OTH, I've made my Y worse for track use and my biggest complaint at the limit is lack of track mode and not suspension. In the end, lower lap times walk the walk, and B.S. just talks the talk.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
I'm glad the MYP is effective on the track and that the BMWs can't keep up :)
I've heard the X3M's suspension is pretty disappointing as well. Consensus seems to be that the class leader in handling/suspension is the Porsche Macan and that's what I was cross shopping the MYP against. I much preferred the ride/handling in the Porsche (but the MYP overall) and I wish that's what the Tesla felt like. I'm sure the stability control is part of the issue and it might be melodramatic to call it a complete mess at the limit but since I paid for the performance suspension I'd say if the Tesla engineers did their job I shouldn't be able to improve it with a $2400 set of aftermarket coilovers...

Reactions: tm1v2
I'm glad the MYP is effective on the track and that the BMWs can't keep up :)
I've heard the X3M's suspension is pretty disappointing as well. Consensus seems to be that the class leader in handling/suspension is the Porsche Macan and that's what I was cross shopping the MYP against. I much preferred the ride/handling in the Porsche (but the MYP overall) and I wish that's what the Tesla felt like.
The Macan I test drove had a very good ride/handling balance. I don't doubt it is among the best crossovers. Unfortunately the Porsche dealer had only 4cyl base models available and that was deathly boring despite the good suspension.

We explored ordering a faster version, but by the time you get to good power, and then add a few options just to get common features, the price is through the roof. And for a car that we couldn't even test first.

Also the interior was a big Meh. Rear seat and cargo space were merely passable, e.g. the Y or XC60 are much better in both regards. Even the front seat felt a little confined for a crossover. And the interior quality + design felt like a relic of the 2000s overdue for an update.

The Macan was technically a good car but nothing about the one I drove made me want to buy it. It was so boring I could hardly wait to return it to the dealer.

I'm sure the stability control is part of the issue and it might be melodramatic to call it a complete mess at the limit but since I paid for the performance suspension I'd say if the Tesla engineers did their job I shouldn't be able to improve it with a $2400 set of aftermarket coilovers...
Yes this.

I suspect Tesla spends a lot less than $2400/car on Model Y or 3 shocks and springs. Probably much, much less.

A factory performance suspension option would be nice. The only time Tesla offered one was the S P85+. If you read the MYP and M3P features list carefully, you'll note they include "lowered suspension." I'm certain that wording is deliberate. The performance car suspensions are merely lower, not better.

I don't begrudge a cheap suspension in the base trim, but I think M3P and MYP should offer something better from the factory, even if it means paying more.

Last edited:
Disagree. Yes, stability control gets in the way in the MYP anywhere near the limit, but calling it a complete mess is more than a bit melodramatic. We absolutely need track mode as we were promised early on for the MYP. Yes the rather large wheels are heavy, as are most any factory wheels of that size, with some exceptions of course. The BMW XM3 has a stiffer ride and yet can't keep up with my Y on a track. Yes, a few judicious mods make a huge difference on the track, and the same can be said of the competition that is anywhere near the same price range. OTH, I've made my Y worse for track use and my biggest complaint at the limit is lack of track mode and not suspension. In the end, lower lap times walk the walk, and B.S. just talks the talk.
This.

And this tangent is stupid. It's all about one persons pov about a car that is not even the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
This.

And this tangent is stupid. It's all about one persons pov about a car that is not even the topic of the thread.
Model Y suspension is on topic, because suspension is one of the few areas where the Mach-E - only in top GT PE trim - does better.

(Based on my test drives I would characterize the lower trim Mach-E suspension as merely softer than Model Y, but not better, it just trades handling for ride smoothness. Only the GT PE magneride has a clearly better ride/handling tradeoff.)

Model Y suspension is on topic, because suspension is one of the few areas where the Mach-E - only in top GT PE trim - does better.

(Based on my test drives I would characterize the lower trim Mach-E suspension as merely softer than Model Y, but not better, it just trades handling for ride smoothness. Only the GT PE magneride has a clearly better ride/handling tradeoff.)
Mach E is almost unsafe at extremes ie. emergency maneuvers as shown in the moose test results.

Mach E is almost unsafe at extremes ie. emergency maneuvers as shown in the moose test results.
The video from Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y ? That looks like a mid-range or lower-end model. I don't doubt it, the suspension on the Premium AWD I drove was too soft and floaty, wouldn't give me any confidence for a maneuver like that.

I expect the GT PE would do much, much better there as long as the stability control isn't too aggressive.

The video from Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y ? That looks like a mid-range or lower-end model. I don't doubt it, the suspension on the Premium AWD I drove was too soft and floaty, wouldn't give me any confidence for a maneuver like that.

I expect the GT PE would do much, much better there as long as the stability control isn't too aggressive.
CnD is the most biased mag around. :rolleyes:

Moose test explanation

Other notes that Macan fails too lol.

Reactions: Nakk
Other notes that Macan fails too lol.

That's interesting. Props to Porsche for issuing a detailed response with a thoughtful explanation. My takeaway is Porsche believes even a crossover/CUV-style SUV is a little tippy as a performance car platform, so they had to make a tradeoff in their stability control between performance maneuvers vs rollover stability.

I'm inclined to believe Porsche on this. And we have to remember, Macan is an ICE vehicle. Higher CG than a Model Y or most any EV crossover. I don't know if Tesla really thought through this tradeoff as much as Porsche, but I am guessing EV weight distribution is a real benefit for rollover stability. Model Y probably has less need for such aggressive stability intervention.