Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m scheduled to drive a MME. As a former automotive employee for a number or OEMs, I like looking at things in totality before deciding something is ‘better’ across any traditional of conceptual metrics. Can you point out any negatives to the MME during your time with it so far?

Sure! But please be advised that you are engaging with a possible “troll” per the legal brief posted above LOL.

1. I think you’ll find the infotainment screen to be just a tad laggy as compared the MY.

2. There are a few software bugs with certain settings not being retained. Being told these will be fixed very soon by the first substantive update in a matter of days. I will report back.

3. Speaking of OTA updates, there haven’t been any substantive ones yet. The first two were supposedly “laying the groundwork” for subsequent substantive updates. Again, first one is supposed to be coming in a matter of days.

4. The driver’s instrument cluster may emit a slight buzz depending upon your build. This is supposedly being corrected but Ford initially sourced a poor quality screen.

5. FordPass is not a great app for charge management, although it has improved. I’m not sure how it compares to Tesla’s app.

6. As mentioned previously, the MME 4X (which I highly recommend) is not quite as quick, or efficient, as the MYLR - although I think you’ll find it to be a pretty irrelevant difference.

7. You have to push a Start button to turn the MME on, which isn’t really necessary.

8. The frunk can currently only be opened manually, although electronic opening is supposedly going to be enabled in the future. There are also dividers installed in the frunk due to some sort of regulatory requirement, but they are quite easy to remove.

9. You’ll find that the glass roof doesn’t extend quite as far forward as the MY, and the front vis is a bit narrower due the MME’s significantly longer hood. The MY is very stubby by comparison. (Conversely, you’ll find the rear viz better in the MME).

10. The “hand nanny” that nags you to keep a hand on the wheel during CoPilot driving is a tad too sensitive, in my opinion, sometimes beeping at me when I DO have a hand resting on the wheel. This will obviously be obviated by true hands free highway driving this fall (something Tesla does not have).

11. CCS isn’t quite as easy or widespread in the Midwest (where I live) as the supercharger network.

With the exception of the last point, this is all pretty minor stuff. I really hope you enjoy your test drive. And again, I HIGHLY recommend going with the AWD Extended range (aka “4X”).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BooMan and El joe
But the Mach-E production numbers are high. Ford either intentionally suffocates the US market or simply can't sell Mach-Es, or both.
Even though it might appear I don't like the MME based on this thread, this isn't the case and I came close to getting one. In reality they lost my purchase via the dealership experience, storage space, a long wait on a pre-order, poor service understanding of EV's and simply learning more about the design/build of the car. They're all wildly overpriced almost making the tax credit useless as well.

I went to four of five dealerships, test drove at each one. None of the cars felt the same (most were premium LR packs). They all has varying levels of quality in various areas. I actually found panel gaps on 3 or the 4 I test drove. Firmware on each car had varying responsiveness in the UI. One had a horrible ride quality (assuming this one of the early recall ones). AC didn't work in one of the others with 1/2 the batter gone. 2 of the cars were a great drive. My point is, I was trying to find out if it was only Tesla who suffered with quality off the line. In my case I found that FORD is suffering from similar problems. Which isn't shocking. I've owned 2 F-150's, and the quality out the door on those was awful. In reality if you go over to the Y thread right now the only problems you're seeing are paint/scratches from transport.

I think Ford's dealership model, and out of the gate hype has worn off. They're still probably trying to recoup the cost of their launch event and ad campaign. Space at Hawthorne airport isn't cheap, & Idris Elba isn't cheap.

All in all its a good step, I just don't think Ford has the legs to keep up in the EV space. The pricing on the F150 is misleading and awful as well. Ford is struggling to just get Broncos going, and has had multiple vehicle releases go terrible all while hiring the likes of country musicians, publications, Jimmy Chin and others to try and sell the public on their product (and I do think its good, they just are going about it wrong).

Sure! But please be advised that you are engaging with a possible “troll” per the legal brief posted above LOL.

1. I think you’ll find the infotainment screen to be just a tad laggy as compared the MY.

2. There are a few software bugs with certain settings not being retained. Being told these will be fixed very soon by the first substantive update in a matter of days. I will report back.

3. Speaking of OTA updates, there haven’t been any substantive ones yet. The first two were supposedly “laying the groundwork” for subsequent substantive updates. Again, first one is supposed to be coming in a matter of days.

4. The driver’s instrument cluster may emit a slight buzz depending upon your build. This is supposedly being corrected but Ford initially sourced a poor quality screen.

5. FordPass is not a great app for charge management, although it has improved. I’m not sure how it compares to Tesla’s app.

6. As mentioned previously, the MME 4X (which I highly recommend) is not quite as quick, or efficient, as the MYLR - although I think you’ll find it to be a pretty irrelevant difference.

7. You have to push a Start button to turn the MME on, which isn’t really necessary.

8. The frunk can currently only be opened manually, although electronic opening is supposedly going to be enabled in the future. There are also dividers installed in the frunk due to some sort of regulatory requirement, but they are quite easy to remove.

9. You’ll find that the glass roof doesn’t extend quite as far forward as the MY, and the front vis is a bit narrower due the MME’s significantly longer hood. The MY is very stubby by comparison. (Conversely, you’ll find the rear viz better in the MME).

10 CCS isn’t quite as easy or widespread in the Midwest (where I live) as the supercharger network.

With the exception of the last point, this is all pretty minor stuff. I really hope you enjoy your test drive. And again, I HIGHLY recommend going with the AWD Extended range (aka “4X”).
1. Model Y touch screens aren't laggy at all.
3. They're already planning on laying waste to the current in car platform as they signed a new deal for running the UI.

On the Mach-E, Ford's Co-Pilot 360 safety suite did generally a good job, and we noted it was able to interpret lanes correctly even when the markings weren't totally clear. Later this year Ford will offer Active Drive Assist, a $600 over the air upgrade that should offer similar functionality to the Tesla, such as hands free driving (limited to 100,000 miles of mapped divided highways).
But FSD is the standout winner here. "Active Drive Assist feels relatively low tech in the Mach-E, which is otherwise a technically compelling EV tour de force," Loh said. During our drive, the Mustang once failed to apply the brakes when traffic was stopping ahead, and it lacks the advanced features of Tesla's system, such as automatically switching lanes or handling freeway interchanges.

“Full Self Driving” (it isn’t, and won’t be for a loooong time) is definitely superior to CoPilot 360, and will in many ways also be superior to the BlueCruise hands free driving rolling out this fall. But FSD costs TEN Gs so that’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison. All the branding and marketing can be so confusing that many prospective buyers really don’t understand what they’re getting.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
I don't see this as a competition. Ford folks will buy Ford, Tesla folks will buy Tesla. Just like it was with Ford/GM/Dodge.
Each loyalist will make their choice and justify it while ignoring the downsides that are obvious to the "other side"

Glad you're enjoying your Mach E - also glad that Ford are trying at last, they are ahead of GM & Dodge in that regard. GM just keeps announcing plans and Dodge still have heads in sand.

Too many folks see this as a Tesla vs <insert new EV here> deal - it isn't.
It's about getting rid of cars powered by poisonous, exploding dinosaurs. Either way the fact that there are more folks driving EV instead of means we all win.

I don't see this as a competition. Ford folks will buy Ford, Tesla folks will buy Tesla. Just like it was with Ford/GM/Dodge.
Each loyalist will make their choice and justify it while ignoring the downsides that are obvious to the "other side"

Glad you're enjoying your Mach E - also glad that Ford are trying at last, they are ahead of GM & Dodge in that regard. GM just keeps announcing plans and Dodge still have heads in sand.

Too many folks see this as a Tesla vs <insert new EV here> deal - it isn't.
It's about getting rid of cars powered by poisonous, exploding dinosaurs. Either way the fact that there are more folks driving EV instead of means we all win.
I like how you said "Tesla folks will buy Tesla" about the brand that started any meaningful mass production less than 10 years ago.

Tesla competes for the after-the-gasoline market share, but so far it wins the competition hands down despite humongous positive and negative PR campaigns unleashed by GM, Ford, and (to lesser extend) VW.

Even though it might appear I don't like the MME based on this thread, this isn't the case and I came close to getting one. In reality they lost my purchase via the dealership experience, storage space, a long wait on a pre-order, poor service understanding of EV's and simply learning more about the design/build of the car. They're all wildly overpriced almost making the tax credit useless as well.

I went to four of five dealerships, test drove at each one. None of the cars felt the same (most were premium LR packs). They all has varying levels of quality in various areas. I actually found panel gaps on 3 or the 4 I test drove. Firmware on each car had varying responsiveness in the UI. One had a horrible ride quality (assuming this one of the early recall ones). AC didn't work in one of the others with 1/2 the batter gone. 2 of the cars were a great drive. My point is, I was trying to find out if it was only Tesla who suffered with quality off the line. In my case I found that FORD is suffering from similar problems. Which isn't shocking. I've owned 2 F-150's, and the quality out the door on those was awful. In reality if you go over to the Y thread right now the only problems you're seeing are paint/scratches from transport.

I think Ford's dealership model, and out of the gate hype has worn off. They're still probably trying to recoup the cost of their launch event and ad campaign. Space at Hawthorne airport isn't cheap, & Idris Elba isn't cheap.

All in all its a good step, I just don't think Ford has the legs to keep up in the EV space. The pricing on the F150 is misleading and awful as well. Ford is struggling to just get Broncos going, and has had multiple vehicle releases go terrible all while hiring the likes of country musicians, publications, Jimmy Chin and others to try and sell the public on their product (and I do think its good, they just are going about it wrong).
It is still great when you buy any EV, even Ford.

My experience with dealerships became a farce and a comedy after I've read Edmund's "Confessions of a Car Salesman" many years ago.

Ford is selling them as fast as they can make em. There’s like a 6 month wait list. US sales went down in April and May because they shipped the vast majority to Europe
indeed, last I saw they were needing to make more Mach E than gas powered Mustang. If there was anything I was disappointed with from Ford it was their anemic production forecasts. If the car is good they will sell lots and lots of them.

Reactions: Big Earl and Brando
Just saw my first two driving on the freeway yesterday. I imagine that’ll pick up, just haven’t seen that many in the Bay Area yet.
Me too, I don't recall seeing one on the road yet, so maybe they haven't gotten volume up yet. I saw the Model 3 and Bolt fairly quickly however after they came out.
They all has varying levels of quality in various areas. I actually found panel gaps on 3 or the 4 I test drove.
That's kind of what I expect for 1st year / gen one vehicles. There's going to be a teething progress. There are now highly competitive choices in the Mach-E and ID.4 (soon the Ariya will be out), but they both happen to be in their first 1st year. So someone in the market this year really have to take that into account.
Firmware on each car had varying responsiveness in the UI.
I though Ford have solved their UI lag problems over these years, so kind of surprising that it still a persistent issue. The VW ID.4 is pretty bad on this front also. The established makes have so much time to work on this, but still have not cracked it.

Doc Brown--yet another non-Tesla owner trolling TMC forums. ;)

Well - I can certainly say I speak from my actual experiences . . . . have you ever actually driven another EV?

IMG_9679.jpg

Reactions: VT_EE and Radish11
But you don't own that Tesla, right? So, mark95476 is correct that you're a non-Tesla owner.

I do not currently own a Tesla. I was an original reservation holder for a MY ($2500 Deposit) and also had a MX ordered that Tesla screwed up royally (twice). After we saw the QC issues with the MY - and after 2 separate 24 hour test drives - we opted for another EV. That's called speaking from experience.

How about you - do you own a MME or are you just criticizing the MME without actually owning one? Just curious.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt and Radish11
I do not currently own a Tesla. I was an original reservation holder for a MY ($2500 Deposit) and also had a MX ordered that Tesla screwed up royally (twice). After we saw the QC issues with the MY - and after 2 separate 24 hour test drives - we opted for another EV. That's called speaking from experience.

How about you - do you own a MME or are you just criticizing the MME without actually owning one? Just curious.
This is a Tesla forum. Thank you for confirming you are not a Tesla owner.

Ford is really trying so hard to enter in EV market, Mach E and Ford Lightning both are good EVs, We know Teslas are still far ahead but I like how Ford F150 electric practical is.
I am not a fan of F-150, and I think it is generally a failing approach to hook up a battery to a gasoline vehicle, but I like how Ford used the frank space. ... wondering what will be under the hood of the Cybertruck... The Mach-E frank is mildly screwed by the divider.

Reactions: Brando