Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a ‘21 SR+ and just got a ‘22LR last week for a second vehicle. I still really like the SR+ and the LR is my wife’s and will share road trip duties with our hybrid SUV. If the RWD suits the majority of your needs I would highly recommend it.
It's funny I got my M3P in part because I had a 60 mile round trip commute every day and my Nissan Leaf had degraded to the point that things were getting tight... This was back in January 2020. Two months later COVID hit and I've been working from home ever since. I ended up putting 15000 miles on my car in 2.5 years after driving over 20k miles a year previously. Truth be told the RWD would be more than enough for me but I think the P has spoiled me I love punching it at stoplights and knowing I have the fastest car out there.

It's funny I got my M3P in part because I had a 60 mile round trip commute every day and my Nissan Leaf had degraded to the point that things were getting tight... This was back in January 2020. Two months later COVID hit and I've been working from home ever since. I ended up putting 15000 miles on my car in 2.5 years after driving over 20k miles a year previously. Truth be told the RWD would be more than enough for me but I think the P has spoiled me I love punching it at stoplights and knowing I have the fastest car out there.
Take a look at the LR with the acceleration boost. You’ll get close to the P in quickness but not spend as much.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Take a look at the LR with the acceleration boost. You’ll get close to the P in quickness but not spend as much.
This may be a timely conversation. Apparently there is legislation that may pass soon which will give Tesla back the $7500 tax credit but they will limit the sales price to $55k on cars and $80k on trucks and SUVs (almost like it was designed to F*ck the Model 3 but incentivize less efficient SUV and trucks that cost more). I will be curious what the final bill looks like and if the limits stay the same or change but this may make me delay my delivery... If Tesla is smart they'll figure out a way to get the dual motor LR MSRP at $54999.

This may be a timely conversation. Apparently there is legislation that may pass soon which will give Tesla back the $7500 tax credit but they will limit the sales price to $55k on cars and $80k on trucks and SUVs (almost like it was designed to F*ck the Model 3 but incentivize less efficient SUV and trucks that cost more). I will be curious what the final bill looks like and if the limits stay the same or change but this may make me delay my delivery... If Tesla is smart they'll figure out a way to get the dual motor LR MSRP at $54999.
Tesla is smart, and I came here to suggest this same thing. When cutting the price by a few thousand dollars saves the customer a few thousand plus $7500, they'll be all over that. Even if it comes down to "We'll sell you a RWD with the space and wiring harness all set up for the front motor, then you hand us a few thousand for the front motor installation after purchase", and could also add that its battery is full LR size but locked down to SR+ until you hand them the unlock cash after purchase.

They will wait until the ink is dry on the new legislation before announcing any of this. I most definitely would expect a TON of cancelled/reinstated orders, were I Tesla.

Reactions: golfcart
Tesla is smart, and I came here to suggest this same thing. When cutting the price by a few thousand dollars saves the customer a few thousand plus $7500, they'll be all over that. Even if it comes down to "We'll sell you a RWD with the space and wiring harness all set up for the front motor, then you hand us a few thousand for the front motor installation after purchase", and could also add that its battery is full LR size but locked down to SR+ until you hand them the unlock cash after purchase.

They will wait until the ink is dry on the new legislation before announcing any of this. I most definitely would expect a TON of cancelled/reinstated orders, were I Tesla.
Yeah there are lots of options I guess. Second motor unlock after purchase, basic autopilot unlock after purchase, heated seats unlock after purchase etc... anything to get the MSRP under $55k. Hopefully they can sort something out for the P model too.

I'm curious on how that will work as well, as I read they are looking to give a tax credit for used EV purchases. We bought our '21 preowned earlier this year and our '22 new last week. Curious if they will retro the date for the credit or if it's only going forward if it passes.

Personally I'm not in favor of ANY make of EV getting tax credits. All this does is allows the manufacturers to raise their prices by that much as they know customers will be getting those tax credits. Case in point; GM/Chevy lowered the price of the Bolt EV/EUV as they were no longer eligible for the tax credit.

Not to bring politics into the discussion, but I don't see this bill passing since I don't see 10 Republicans supporting it.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I'm curious on how that will work as well, as I read they are looking to give a tax credit for used EV purchases. We bought our '21 preowned earlier this year and our '22 new last week. Curious if they will retro the date for the credit or if it's only going forward if it passes.

Personally I'm not in favor of ANY make of EV getting tax credits. All this does is allows the manufacturers to raise their prices by that much as they know customers will be getting those tax credits. Case in point; GM/Chevy lowered the price of the Bolt EV/EUV as they were no longer eligible for the tax credit.

Not to bring politics into the discussion, but I don't see this bill passing since I don't see 10 Republicans supporting it.
Yeah lots of uncertainty for sure. Lots of possible scenarios depending on if it is retroactive for 2022 and what limits are in the final bill. Could see lots of people cancelling their RWD orders for sure if they can save $7500 by waiting a few months... That would be a logistical nightmare for Tesla at the end of the year.

The way it is currently written the new rules would go into effect January 1st, 2023.

Doh! Unless they make it retroactive, I see this being a bad thing for Tesla and GM in the short term as folks would wait for the tax credit to take effect. This will negatively effect the value of Teslas regardless.
I don't think it will make much difference. The same thing happened last year, people delayed their purchase into 2022 hoping for a tax credit that didn't happen. But Tesla never ran out of people to take delivery of the available vehicles. (With the income limits in the current proposal some people won't even qualify for it.) They can also divert vehicles to other countries, i.e. Canada and Mexico, to help with that.

The other thing is that Tesla now pretty much only allows one delay of a couple months before they cancel your order. And in a lot of cases the current order is already more than $7,500 less than the current price. So they would actually lose money by waiting to try to get the tax credit.

Reactions: buckets0fun
If this passes, I see the value of both of our Tesla's dropping like a rock. 😥
It would definitely make me consider cancelling my order and seeing what new/used prices do in 2023. When my 2018 P got totaled last month I actually just wanted another used one to begin with but I couldn't find a decent used P for under $58k (even a 2018) so I figured I might as well spend the extra $5000 to get a brand new one. This might change that whole calculus. Hopefully Elon will make the P $54999 and charge $8000 to unlock the front motor after purchase.:D

The used car tax credit is interesting because I don't know how many times it can be applied to the same car and I see that potentially getting scammed like crazy. I guess the devil will be in the details.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
The used car tax credit is interesting because I don't know how many times it can be applied to the same car and I see that potentially getting scammed like crazy. I guess the devil will be in the details.

One time per vehicle, only on the first transfer after new, and it has to be purchased from a dealer. So no private party sales will qualify for the used car rebate.

So it would be confusing when you go to a dealer with two identical cars sitting next to each other and one qualifies for the rebate and the other doesn't.

One time per vehicle, only on the first transfer after new, and it has to be purchased from a dealer. So no private party sales will qualify for the used car rebate.

So it would be confusing when you go to a dealer with two identical cars sitting next to each other and one qualifies for the rebate and the other doesn't.
OK great info, I didn't know the details on that. Unfortunate that you can't get it on a private party sale. I guess it would not be that scammable then.

I think it's in the reconciliation bill. it doesn't need 10 republican votes if that's the case.

if this passes, it might push me to finally trade our gen 1 volt for a model y for my wife. the volt is getting close to 100k miles and I'm starting to sorry about battery longevity after almost 10 years...

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Figures they start it on Jan 1 2023 so those of us who purchased this year aren’t eligible. Our LR would technically count as we got it for the price it was back in Feb when we ordered it.

I just hope this doesn’t negatively affect the value of our Model 3s.

Figures they start it on Jan 1 2023 so those of us who purchased this year aren’t eligible. Our LR would technically count as we got it for the price it was back in Feb when we ordered it.

I just hope this doesn’t negatively affect the value of our Model 3s.

the $4k credit on used EVs might actually do the opposite.

what I wonder is: what happens if you make a reservation now (expecting delivery in early 2023) and they end up with a car for you earlier due to a previous res holder backing out. can you decline to make sure you don't take delivery before jan 1 and ensure that you get the credit?

the $4k credit on used EVs might actually do the opposite.

what I wonder is: what happens if you make a reservation now (expecting delivery in early 2023) and they end up with a car for you earlier due to a previous res holder backing out. can you decline to make sure you don't take delivery before jan 1 and ensure that you get the credit?
In my mind it only drops the value of a used car if the new one becomes cheaper. This would happen for sure on the RWD model. For the others Tesla would need to figure a way to lower the MSRP to $54999 on the dual motor model 3 trims somehow. My suggestion to Elon would be all dual motor models start at $54999. It costs $3k to unlock the second motor on the regular LR after purchase and $8k to unlock the second motor on the performance after purchase. Something like that or maybe paying for autopilot after purchase.

I think the used credit is capped at $25k value per the Elektrek article so it won't impact many used Tesla (see bullet point 5):

Used Vehicle Credit
  1. Tax credit of 30% of value of used EV with $4,000 cap (Page 387, line 23).
  2. Used vehicle must be at least two model years old at time of sale. (Page 389, line 7).
  3. The original use of the vehicle must have occurred with an individual other than the one claiming the used tax credit. (Page 389, line 10).
  4. Used vehicle must be purchased from a dealer. (Page 390, line 3).
  5. Used vehicle price must be $25k or less. (Page 390, line 5).
  6. Used vehicle qualifies for tax credit only once in its lifetime. (Page 390, line 7)
  7. Purchaser must be an individual (no businesses) to qualify for used credit. (Page 390, line 14).
  8. Purchaser may only claim one used vehicle credit per three years. (Page 390, line 20).
  9. Modified gross income cap of $75k for individuals, $112,500 for head of household and $150k for joint returns. (Page 388).
  10. Credit may be applied at time of sale by dealer. (Page 391, line 15).
  11. Credit terminates on December 31, 2032. (Page 391, line 12).

Le
Any thoughts on whether or not it'll be a total loss (see attached photo)? It seems like some of y'all work in the industry and might have some insight.

I am really unsure what to do if it is a loss. If they give me a good settlement I could get another one but used ones cost a fortune and new ones are $63,000 now which is ridiculous.

Plus my city charges personal property tax on vehicles annually.

Current Tax Rate: $4.00 per $100.00

Tax Relief on first $20,000.00: 50.80%

That makes annual taxes on a $63,000 car an additional $2100 a year on top of the cost of the vehicle itself which makes the Model 3 really expensive to own in my city.

Part of me just wants to get an old 5-speed civic and call it a day. I only drive about 6k miles a year anyways. When I had a 60 mile round trip commute it made more sense but now that my job is remote it is hard to justify the expense of the Model 3.
Learn something new every day, I thought the USA was anti tax?!?!?!