Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car trying to avoid a phantom on back road - which feature should I disable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing that you can do except manually drive the car.
Since you know of a problem spot, just be ready to overcome. Your hands should be on the wheel no matter what

I could be wrong but I'd assumed the car was being manually driven. I certainly wouldn't feel confident in using autopilot functionality on this kind of road (not even sure it would offer it as no lane markings etc.)

I could be wrong but I'd assumed the car was being manually driven. I certainly wouldn't feel confident in using autopilot functionality on this kind of road (not even sure it would offer it as no lane markings etc.)
Quite!

This isn't about the reliability of AP... we all know it can be a bit sketchy and hopefully only use it on appropriate roads.

It is more than a bit concerning that the car is auto steering us into the side of the road when we are meant to be in full control.... no AP involved.

I tried to do a bug report last time this happened to me (for whatever that is worth)... but the bug report voice command doesn't seem to work in my car.

I switched Emergency lane departure off, I found it kept doing corrective steering for situations where I knew exactly what I was doing, its very disconcerting, it was mainly on narrow, windy roads in Wales, much happier with it off. Might be ok on a long drag up the motorway but not on a B road.

Mine has done this 2 or 3 times at a spot on the road out of my village. I think it's specific to the latest software version and am therefore hoping for a bug fix update. With AP and TACC off it seems to shy at some sort of ghostly nothing at a particular spot which isn't at that point wide enough for two cars to pass. It takes control of the steering and I wrestle control back. I don't think it would throw me into the opposite bank but I haven't tested the point! I suspect also I have to be going above a certain speed to trigger this.

I have had a similar issue. Drive a lot on C roads with edge white lines but no central white lines. Quite a few times I have noticed a “middle” line being displayed where there is a very faint seam in the tarmac. Come to the conclusion that my M3 is over interpreting this slight change in colour as a central line. This in turn has lead to several warnings/corrections when I make full use of the road width but M3 thinks I am drifting across the central line.

Anyone else noticed this? Only seems to happen when there are white lines defining the verge.

An interesting episode tonight. Often when driving on single track roads near home the car's ultrasonics scream at any near bush, tree or banking. Tonight driving back in the horrid rain with wipers continuously I came around a gentle curve and spotted a bit of sheep stickng out on the high right banking. I'm always cautious for the wildlife and at was at about 25mph. For some unexpected reason sheep jumped in front of the car no more than 20 feet in front. I was on the ball and stopped about 2 feet short. Not a bleep from the ultrasonics, not any attempt from AEB. OK I was in manual mode but I expected more. Just imagine a kiddie faling out of the bushes....

An interesting episode tonight. Often when driving on single track roads near home the car's ultrasonics scream at any near bush, tree or banking. Tonight driving back in the horrid rain with wipers continuously I came around a gentle curve and spotted a bit of sheep stickng out on the high right banking. I'm always cautious for the wildlife and at was at about 25mph. For some unexpected reason sheep jumped in front of the car no more than 20 feet in front. I was on the ball and stopped about 2 feet short. Not a bleep from the ultrasonics, not any attempt from AEB. OK I was in manual mode but I expected more. Just imagine a kiddie faling out of the bushes....

You can only really test it by not reacting yourself...

Do sheep actually get picked up by ultrasonics ? I can imagine their coat absorbing signal.

Exactly... makes ya wonder how a person in a thick coat gets on. Legs and head of a sheep have very short hair - should at least pick that up and movement of a dud echo My point being that if these fancy cars cannot deal with emergencies when not in fsd move (ie lots of theoretically free processing power) then wtf use are they. The cameras are still active anyway although recorded resolution was crap in the rain and low light - but I saw the sheep. What was the radar doing? Still computing a new object?
The more I drive and play with the car the less impressed I am and the less I believe fsd will be a reality for many, many years in Teslas hands - just an on-going game of promises to suck folk into the narrative. Which does not demean their ability as nice cars to drive etc.

I was playing on a country A road earlier with quite a few moderate bends. I set the max speed to 45 due to visibilty. Under TACC the car was doing OK albeit not taking the lines around the bends as i would until it came to a slightly tighter one...not slowing down before the bend it followed its usual track between the lines and then brakes sharply part way round 'cos it was going too fast. If there had been ice (I wouldn't have been playing) we'd have been in the ditch. Manually I could have taken that corner at that speed, indeed i would have been driving faster and lifted off a tad before the bend and added power part way through. FSD has a long way to go to give confidence to a driver.

I was playing on a country A road earlier with quite a few moderate bends. I set the max speed to 45 due to visibilty. Under TACC the car was doing OK albeit not taking the lines around the bends as i would until it came to a slightly tighter one...not slowing down before the bend it followed its usual track between the lines and then brakes sharply part way round 'cos it was going too fast. If there had been ice (I wouldn't have been playing) we'd have been in the ditch. Manually I could have taken that corner at that speed, indeed i would have been driving faster and lifted off a tad before the bend and added power part way through. FSD has a long way to go to give confidence to a driver.

I'm not sure that it's a great idea to be experimenting in this way, TACC isn't full autopilot so it's not really surprising that it did what it did and even if it was full AP, in its current state it worries me that anyone would use it on roads where there's no physical division.

That said, I'm very impressed by TACC and Autosteer on the motorway. I wish the nags were distance related rather than time related though.

I'm not sure that it's a great idea to be experimenting in this way, TACC isn't full autopilot so it's not really surprising that it did what it did and even if it was full AP, in its current state it worries me that anyone would use it on roads where there's no physical division.

That said, I'm very impressed by TACC and Autosteer on the motorway. I wish the nags were distance related rather than time related though.

I have EAP and the roads were free of traffic. Believe me I don't trust autopilot much at all and just test now and again to see if it's improving. In the 18mths improvements have been marginal. I've given up on NOA - far too nerve wracking on a busy motorway.

Give NoA another go. Its vastly improved last few months. Still things I don't trust it with*, but within the things I do trust it with, it does a pretty decent job on AP3.

* untrusted items
  • On and off ramps
  • Lane flares - one lane into two
  • Traffic merging from left and slow traffic on left - latter came in with 2019.40.50.x
  • Bridges/overhead structures on very bright days with big shadows - I've not had a problem, but plenty of others have for me to be wary
  • Narrow lanes and roadworks
  • When blind spot limited/camera blocked

PITA items
  • Speed limits recognition
  • Last of late indicators with off ramps - doesn't start indicating until it started to pass exit
  • Another car appearing out of nowhere (pulls out couple of cars behind) or moving slightly faster in adjacent lane (initially out of blind spot trigger area, but then moves within) that causes lane change to abort but car cancels indicator which confuses when second try
  • Max follow distance not far enough - even on max 7, it barely adheres to '2 chevrons' < < < <

I always drive hands on wheel, foot over accelerator and still at stage where I'm still super cautious if anyone is driving too close behind.

Give NoA another go. Its vastly improved last few months. Still things I don't trust it with*, but within the things I do trust it with, it does a pretty decent job on AP3.

* untrusted items
  • On and off ramps
  • Lane flares - one lane into two
  • Traffic merging from left and slow traffic on left - latter came in with 2019.40.50.x
  • Bridges/overhead structures on very bright days with big shadows - I've not had a problem, but plenty of others have for me to be wary
  • Narrow lanes and roadworks
  • When blind spot limited/camera blocked

PITA items
  • Speed limits recognition
  • Last of late indicators with off ramps - doesn't start indicating until it started to pass exit
  • Another car appearing out of nowhere (pulls out couple of cars behind) or moving slightly faster in adjacent lane (initially out of blind spot trigger area, but then moves within) that causes lane change to abort but car cancels indicator which confuses when second try
  • Max follow distance not far enough - even on max 7, it barely adheres to '2 chevrons' < < < <

I always drive hands on wheel, foot over accelerator and still at stage where I'm still super cautious if anyone is driving too close behind.

HW2.5. The motorway sections I use regularly have busy off ramps - often a solid queue of 1/4 mile slow stuff. Does current NoA put itself in that queue or try to push in and risk missing it? With EU regs re accepting overtake it's less stress to use fsd and make my own decsions. Even with fsd as opposed to NoA I've had 2 experiences now of hard braking - even being aware it's difficult to react prompty enough if beng tailgated - fine if it just decides to 'slow down'. On quietish motorways it's easy enough and a lazy way to drive with autosteer so long as constant scanning of mirrors and readouts shows no up-coming conflicts and none ahead but as soon as a car pulls behind and gets close as you pass slower traffic then, as you know, car won't pull in to the slower lane as early as you might manually to let guy behind past - get an episode of hard braking then........

I think when we both talk about NoA I think we are talking about slightly different parts of it. When I talk about NoA, I mean when car is operating in Navigate On Autopilot mode (I have the option enabled for every trip to use when circumstances arrive) and single blue (middle of lane) line is active. I think you are more specific, at least in above, in that when you talk about NoA, you are talking about it offering lane changes and you confirming? I very rarely accept its suggestions (it doesn't seem to adhere to setting descriptions in UI, ie wants to overtake even when minor speed differential [~1mph] even though help says major speed differential), but I do use auto lane change and car will be in NoA mode when I do - I think you refer to this as 'to use fsd'?

Anyhow, irrespective of terminology, my personal experience is that singe early December, auto lane change has dramatically improved and that manoeuvres I never had dreamt of attempting even up to early Dec, are now very straight forward, irrespective of how quiet the road is. Some of this will be as a result of adding several hundred more miles to my confidence, but I do truly believe that auto lane change had a major transformation with the early December release and is far more assertive than before resulting in minimal lane change aborts. This is why I suggest that you give things another try.

I think we are both on same page re hard braking. I am always on lookout in rear view mirror and will adjust any potential manoeuvre if I think a potential problem is bubbling up. I've had a couple of disconcerting braking episodes (reduced around 20mph over quite short distance), but not full on like some have had, but even so, enough that a car following too close behind could quickly become a problem.

As for your other experiences, I personally do not act upon NoA's suggestions in majority of cases, so @I don't think you would see this as NoA even though it was NoA in operation. If an off/on ramp, rather than lane depart/merge, I would only use NoA's suggestions in situations where I know how car is likely to behave (usually badly) as I have previously tested its behaviour at that exit. With long queues, I would normally be in the platoon already rather than needing to cut in and this would only be for situation where the whole lane exits and doesn't flare into two - otherwise, I would be off autopilot and probably TACC altogether by that point.

99% of the time...

The main point of NoA is supposedly the ability to cope wth interchanges on motorways off and on ramps and (in the states0 automatic overtake. If your using it but initiating your own overtakes (as opposed to confirming those offered) and managing your own off/on ramps then effectively you are just driving fsd - which is what i use. As for the actual lane changes initiated by you/me I find little improvement - it's always been reasonable but then again I tend to drive 'defensively' (as in been doing this for a long time and grown out of being rash) and don't request one unless things are clear.

I have never had to counter steer but the car beeped at me a few times thinking i was going to crash into the car in front when it was far enough and i am totally aware of my surroundings. The beeping woke everyone in the car for no reason. Maybe it is too sensitive but i am resisting switching the prewarning off. Be better if we dont get false warnings. If something seriously happen in the future and tesla looks at my "record" , it would say i am a bad driver with all the warnings. Anyone gets that too?
Better to have false than non. A false positive for anything liek this is better than the false negative and its a truk