Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spent yesterday testing out waking the car up. It takes a while to connect and would always time out.

If I click into controls and then back out while it's trying to connect then it takes a while but connects. If I don't it times out.
This may just be coincidence but I was able to wake my car several times yesterday using this method.

Hopefully they sort it out soon.

I've been seeing that behaviour too. Despite not connecting it sometimes gives you a live unlock icon in Controls or on the first screen and if I click that it shows as unlocked, then shortly after that the full app connectivity returns.

I suspect some of the change in sleep pattern is nothing more than Tesla becoming more interested in our driving as we have recently had an update that they would be interested in their feedback upon.

A car not sleeping for an hour or so is not uncommon whilst Tesla upload the data that they are interested in.

Maybe someone with a smarter router can see how much data is flying around during these times of insomnia?

https://twitter.com/arctechinc/status/1307205800322949121?s=19

Just saw this which suggests the non wake issue is due to malfunctioning usb devices e.g. those used for Sentry recording.

Don't believe it but thought I'd share incase anyone wants to remove their device then re-test.
I will give it a go, baring in mind there are so many people having the issue right now and it all started happening at the same time I don’t think it’s suddenly everyone’s usb devices erroring.

I’ve recently started with this issues. Continually getting “server error”. This is both when sentry is on/off. When I’m connected by with close distance to the car, and when connecting remotely.

is this still a software error, or could it be due to iOS14. I didn’t have issues initially on update.

I’ve have premium connectivity both our iPhones and iPads wake the car every time.
There was a couple of days about 3 weeks ago where they all took longer than usual but got there in there in the end.
Even my old IPhone SE works ok

https://twitter.com/arctechinc/status/1307205800322949121?s=19

Just saw this which suggests the non wake issue is due to malfunctioning usb devices e.g. those used for Sentry recording.

Don't believe it but thought I'd share incase anyone wants to remove their device then re-test.

Thought it was worth a go so disconnected USB drive and hub. Rebooted car. Let it go to sleep. Tried access via app ... same issue I'm afraid couldn't get full access until I got a live button to unlock/lock the car and then the app subsequently fully woke up.

I’ve have premium connectivity both our iPhones and iPads wake the car every time.
There was a couple of days about 3 weeks ago where they all took longer than usual but got there in there in the end.
Even my old IPhone SE works ok

As above, not related to premium connectivity at all, as I have that and have been having this problem since Thursday. I've tried both Android and iOS and the app won't wake the car from either, just spends ages trying to wake it up but with nothing happening.

Thought it was worth a go so disconnected USB drive and hub. Rebooted car. Let it go to sleep. Tried access via app ... same issue I'm afraid couldn't get full access until I got a live button to unlock/lock the car and then the app subsequently fully woke up.

Same here, tried this afternoon, unmounted and unplugged the Samsung T5 I've been using for TeslaCam and music, let the car go back to sleep and it still wouldn't wake up. It also took an hour to go back to sleep after unlocking it to remove the USB drive, rather than the ten to fifteen minutes it usually takes.

Checked the data from Teslamate again and it's clear that the car is still connected and talking to the Tesla servers, as there doesn't seem to be any breaks in the data that's being captured.

Checked the data from Teslamate again and it's clear that the car is still connected and talking to the Tesla servers, as there doesn't seem to be any breaks in the data that's being captured.
I don’t think you would see anything on teslamate, as far as it is concerned it is asleep so won’t pull any data, when it is awake it pulls fine, but so does the app. The only thing I notice is that lte seems to be disconnected when unlocking the car and takes a few seconds to connect, it connects to WiFi pretty much instantly, can’t say whether it’s always been like that though as I’ve never really paid much attention, but if it wasn’t it sounds like lte goes to sleep and doesn’t get woken up.

I don’t think you would see anything on teslamate, as far as it is concerned it is asleep so won’t pull any data, when it is awake it pulls fine, but so does the app. The only thing I notice is that lte seems to be disconnected when unlocking the car and takes a few seconds to connect, it connects to WiFi pretty much instantly, can’t say whether it’s always been like that though as I’ve never really paid much attention, but if it wasn’t it sounds like lte goes to sleep and doesn’t get woken up.

FWIW, there's no LTE signal here, so the data Teslamate is collecting when the car's parked here (charging, sleeping, etc) has to be be going via WiFi. That ties up with the car's appearing on the outdoor WiFi subnet quite a lot of the time. I don't look at that subnet very often, but every time I have the car's been connected.

Teslamate seems to be able to record sleep, charging and online periods just fine when the car's parked here, with no LTE signal.

FWIW, there's no LTE signal here, so the data Teslamate is collecting when the car's parked here (charging, sleeping, etc) has to be be going via WiFi. That ties up with the car's appearing on the outdoor WiFi subnet quite a lot of the time. I don't look at that subnet very often, but every time I have the car's been connected.

Teslamate seems to be able to record sleep, charging and online periods just fine when the car's parked here, with no LTE signal.
That’s interesting, are you sure that’s it’s connected to the WiFi when it is asleep? As soon as my car goes to sleep it disconnects from the WiFi, I think that’s always been the case but I’m not sure, I do have LTE signal here though so maybe it reacts differently if there is none. Regardless if the car was asleep I believe teslamate would record it as asleep whether it had connectivity or not. Obviously when charging and online the car is awake so isn’t an issue.

Last edited:

I'm really fascinated by this because I have UniFi wifi at home, which allows me to track who is online at any given time, and for the majority of the day my M3 isn't connected to wifi; on the other hand the M3 gets decent mobile connectivity on my driveway. I wonder if the car has a mechanism that says "Mobile is my primary method of staying connected in case I need to be woken up, but if that isn't available then I will leave wifi connected instead"?

It makes sense that TeslaMate would capture your charing, the car has to be awake for that. But I'm fascinated that you can wake the car (not right now because of this bug!) from the app which must be using wifi.