Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes coming, but what does this all mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no point in delaying the delivery for HW4. There hasn’t been any announcements about it in the US, aside from the CT. So, if you take on a few months at the earliest to if an announcement is made, then you’re looking at 2nd half of the year.

The 2nd VIN match will occur before that which will force you to take it or cancel.

And those of us in Vision Only cars are restricted to 2 as the lowest setting... maddening isn't it?

Keith
FYI, L2 restriction has nothing to do with cars without RADAR or ultrasonics. It's a limitation in this version of the software, that I believe even the release notes said it is a temporary limitation.

My car with RADAR and ultrasonics currently has the same limitation.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
Hello Everyone,
I'm hoping to join the Tesla fam soon but I do have some questions about the timing of delivery and hope you guys can help me make an informed decision.

My MYP delivery is scheduled for this weekend, just a few days shy of the HW4 announcement. Given USS sensors are missing in this build, I'm really concerned about the missing parking assist feature and the viability of the vision-only solution. As per the rumor mill, there are no new camera placements coming this year but HW4 does come with a new HD radar. So I was wondering if Tesla might be able to use that for the parking assist feature and if it is worth waiting and potentially losing the partial tax credit.

I really don't care about FSD but do consider the parking assist as one of the must-have features. So what do you guys suggest should I try to postpone or reject this build or just take my changes and go with MYP now?

Thank you!
The parking assist feature (which is rarely used) is TEMPORARILY unavailable.
It will be back in the V11 software release which is imminent. Your car will be completely capable of doing it.

No need to change any plans.

Reactions: Newbie2023
Of course in hindsight you could have just rented a Tesla from Hertz to drive it now with the money saved by waiting. But you could not know.

I don't know if they'll get FSD working with HW4. I have very little faith they will make it work with HW3. Or even HW3 with a new processor board that fits in those cars. Those cameras are poor. They get dirty and the car has no way to clean them except to ask you to do it -- which can't happen if you imagine your car coming to pick you up or serving as a robotaxi. One hopes HW4 fixes that. No amount of software will let the system work if the camera just sees a blob. If you intend to buy FSD then wait for HW4. If you don't, HW3 will do fine.

It will be back in the V11 software release which is imminent. Your car will be completely capable of doing it.

There’s no point in delaying the delivery for HW4. There hasn’t been any announcements about it in the US, aside from the CT. So, if you take on a few months at the earliest to if an announcement is made, then you’re looking at 2nd half of the year.

The 2nd VIN match will occur before that which will force you to take it or cancel.
Thank you guys for your advice.
Does anyone with a Non-USS car know if vision today works bare-minimum and shows some distance from objects or it is completely blind till the v11 update is available?

My MY is also without USS installed. Is it correct that Tesla disabled all USS on existing models until the new "whatever vision" is put online?
No, I think they only disabled Radar for all. USS is still working on cars that were equipped with it. Eventually, they will disable it but not till vision is fully functional.
So are you getting any line guidance and close proximity alerts when backing up using back camera?

• Informative
Reactions: Jedisparky
No, I think they only disabled Radar for all. USS is still working on cars that were equipped with it. Eventually, they will disable it but not till vision is fully functional.
So are you getting any line guidance and close proximity alerts when backing up using back camera?

My 2022 MYLR has USS and they work perfectly fine. Newer MY's lack USS and Tesla is moving towards a vision system there.

I am so glad to have USS on my 2021 MY. It is vey helpful parking and backing out of tight spots, especially since the rear visibility is rather limited. I would really miss this feature. Hope they don't disable it.

Reactions: Daekwan

I admire your confidence in Tesla delivering those features, but how long have those TACC limitations being in place, pushing two years now? Not sure about your definition of temporary but sounds to me Tesla underestimated the technical challenge and can no longer determine an ETA.
Same thing for parking assist, to clarify we're talking about the proximity indication not auto park which we know is awful broadline useless even on cars with USS, with HW3's camera placement and performance limitations there is no way that they can deliver the same performance as USS.

I admire your confidence in Tesla delivering those features, but how long have those TACC limitations being in place, pushing two years now? Not sure about your definition of temporary but sounds to me Tesla underestimated the technical challenge and can no longer determine an ETA.
Same thing for parking assist, to clarify we're talking about the proximity indication not auto park which we know is awful broadline useless even on cars with USS, with HW3's camera placement and performance limitations there is no way that they can deliver the same performance as USS.
That was really stupid decision by Tesla to take USS out without getting Vision solution working. In theory, vision could work by detecting static object and measuring distance travelled by car but it would never be equal to USS but it may give false reading unless tesla factor in all user mods and different tire sizes. Hw3 would be still perfect for me had they not removed USS.

Reactions: Jimboy435
Hello Everyone,
I'm hoping to join the Tesla fam soon but I do have some questions about the timing of delivery and hope you guys can help me make an informed decision.

My MYP delivery is scheduled for this weekend, just a few days shy of the HW4 announcement. Given USS sensors are missing in this build, I'm really concerned about the missing parking assist feature and the viability of the vision-only solution. As per the rumor mill, there are no new camera placements coming this year but HW4 does come with a new HD radar. So I was wondering if Tesla might be able to use that for the parking assist feature and if it is worth waiting and potentially losing the partial tax credit.

I really don't care about FSD but do consider the parking assist as one of the must-have features. So what do you guys suggest should I try to postpone or reject this build or just take my changes and go with MYP now?

Thank you!
This is what I did- having had a 2022 MYP and wanting another, I found a Sept build 2022 MYP with 3k miles with the exact specs I wanted. I value the info too much from the USS and have driven vision only Teslas. The USS is helpful backing in at a Supercharger, which was the reason I wanted a USS car. Tesla has been promising a fix for months, and I don't believe them unless it's out.

These were the options I went with

(1) get a used 2022 with USS
(2) wait for an actual fix with HW 4.0, but don't buy until it's actually a known feature and not a promise

I wanted a Tesla sooner than later, so I went with option one. If you look around, you might find one for 50k. I paid 54k, and am okay with that. I have recently seen them used closer to 60k though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
And don't forget that the Tesla holds its value better than most cars. Last year people were selling for more than they paid.
If you can qualify for a rebate or two, depreciation isn't an issue.

But I think that for most people, the only reason you sell a Tesla is to get another one. The cars are built to last!
Teslas used to hold their values well…I’m not sure that still holds true?

Reactions: zoomer0056
TACC limitations? Not sure which that you are referring to.

I'm like 99% confident that proximity alerts will be back in V11. Why? Because I expect that they wouldn't allow the ultrasonics to be removed unless there was a solution already in place. It was expected that V11 would be out last year.

Teslas used to hold their values well…I’m not sure that still holds true?
Sure they do, people still want them. Resales were great up until last year when the backlog went so large. That's when resale went higher the new sale! That eased at the end of last year, as well as the supply of new cars from everyone. That allowed the resale market to calm down. But Tesla was still doing well.

And the current constrained supply has probably driven the prices back up.

Sure they do, people still want them. Resales were great up until last year when the backlog went so large. That's when resale went higher the new sale! That eased at the end of last year, as well as the supply of new cars from everyone. That allowed the resale market to calm down. But Tesla was still doing well.

And the current constrained supply has probably driven the prices back up.

It's kind of funny to watch things go from "used value is higher than brand new" to "used Teslas now sell for slightly less than new" and it's like "OMG resale values have collapsed" when in fact Teslas STILL have the highest resale value of anything short of rare exotics and collectibles

Think of it this way, what pressure does Tesla have to put HW4 in any of their cars today? None, absolutely ZERO.

Just saw this article on the forum today. It pretty much states in much better language than I did, what I tried to say in my past posts here. Tesla may not be able to put HW4 in older cars, but there will be a great incentive for them to do SOMETHING.

For those that have followed the Tesla story, you know that CEO Elon Musk has basically talked about full self-driving for almost a decade now. The company still has not shown off the U.S. coast-to-coast autonomous drive that it said would come by the end of 2017, for instance. As a reminder, Tesla started building vehicles with full self-driving hardware back in October 2016. As a point of reference, the chart below shows Tesla's cumulative production since the start of 2017, excluding maybe 15,000 vehicles or so produced in Q4 2016, that would have had FSD hardware equipped.

FSD Production Vehicles
Cumulative FSD Production Vehicles (Company Filings)

Over the years, there have been multiple updates to the full self-driving hardware. Each time, there have been questions over whether or not customers would be able to upgrade their hardware. If so, would those who paid for the FSD software get the new hardware for free? I bring this up because there are those who believe Tesla will not be able to get to true full self-driving (or possible robo-taxis) with some of the earlier versions of this hardware.

The next version of FSD hardware is 4, which could go into vehicles any day now. Perhaps Tesla will unveil it at the upcoming March 1st investor day. Elon Musk said that a retrofit for current vehicles is highly unlikely for those who have hardware version 3, yet he still believes version 3 will still be good enough to be safer than the average human. For those wondering about a potential retrofit, this Twitter thread shows pictures of these two hardware versions. It seems quite obvious that you won't be able to swap one for the other, and it was pointed out in the thread that the new hardware will probably use even more cameras in its setup.

The potential liability question comes into play here if you think Tesla won't be able to truly solve FSD with the current hardware. One might think that a potential lawsuit would just want to refund the FSD price, and those arguing here might cite the recall number of vehicles to get a total liability. At an average cost of $10,000 for FSD, that gets you to around $4 billion when you consider how many customers have reportedly paid for the package so far.

However, like almost everything else in this world, things here probably aren't that simple. A customer could suggest that they bought their Tesla because of FSD's potential, but are waiting to buy the FSD package until it's completely ready for prime time. By the end of Q1, there could be close to 4 million vehicles that have hardware version 3 or earlier. A lawsuit looking for Tesla to repay the consumer for the entire vehicle's cost based on not delivering FSD, using an average sales price of $60,000, would result in a liability of $240 billion dollars! That number is about 11 times the cash Tesla has on hand currently, and it represents about 3/8 of the company's market cap.

Unfortunately, we're only starting to scratch the surface of how bad things could be if we look at a truly worst-case scenario. That's because back in early 2019, Tesla held an Autonomy Day, which is where Elon Musk famously talked about having a million robo-taxis on the road by the end of 2020. We are more than two years past the end of that calendar year, and there still is not a single Tesla robo-taxi on the road currently (ride-sharing operators using Tesla FSD Beta do not count). That gets us to one of the slides Tesla management showed at that presentation, seen below.

Robo-Taxis
Tesla Robo-Taxi Slide (April 2019 Company Presentation)

Tesla ended up raising more than $10 billion in capital, some may say to avoid bankruptcy, between that presentation and the end of 2020. There could be a bit of a liability, and potentially even criminal charges against management there, if one is claiming securities fraud. However, that's a debate for another day. What I'm focusing on here is what consumers would be arguing, based on the premise that their Tesla with full self-driving could become a robo-taxi.

The above slide suggests that a Tesla robo-taxi would generate $330,000 in gross profits over the lifetime of the vehicle. For this argument, let's assume that vehicles with hardware version 3 or earlier cannot get to a point where they are robo-taxis. I say this because one Twitter user, who has been a major supporter of Tesla and Elon Musk over the years, stated in a tweet that this version will never be able to drive around without human input. This particular Twitter user is one of the most prominent FSD Beta testers out there. He's not alone, however, as highly followed Twitter user Troy Teslike apparently agrees with this sentiment that driverless FSD hardware 3 looks unlikely, with Tesla likely to try to get there with version 4 for the foreseeable future.

If you had a class action suit covering those roughly 4 million vehicles, and they were all arguing they lost out on, say, $260,000 in robo-taxi profits (the $330,000 minus an average $60,000 vehicle cost and the average $10,000 FSD cost), we'd be talking about a little over $1 trillion. There has been at least one lawsuit so far regarding Autopilot and FSD, although it is very early on in the legal process at this point.

I'm sure skeptics will ask about leased vehicles and those that may have been totaled since. Well, vehicle leasing has only accounted for a mid-single digit percentage of Tesla's deliveries over time. Some of those vehicles could be bought at the end of the lease, or turned over to a second consumer, which could provide a second layer of liability in some cases. Also, for my assumptions today, I'm basically saying that vehicles with hardware 3 are no longer produced after Q1. If that's not the case, the number could continue to rise, offsetting some of these variables. Still, even if you want to take, say, 5% off my worst-case scenario, you're still talking about nearly a trillion dollars.

Last edited: