Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Speed Reduced, unplug and try again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sucks for those that can only AC charge at 32 amp max. Would have to hope it gets stuck at 16 amps.
For whom does it suck and why? While I will Supercharge when I take a road trip, the majority of my charging is via a NEMA 14-50 (topping out at 32A on my SR+) using my Mobile Connector at work. Considering it is free, it definitely doesn't suck.

For whom does it suck and why? While I will Supercharge when I take a road trip, the majority of my charging is via a NEMA 14-50 (topping out at 32A on my SR+) using my Mobile Connector at work. Considering it is free, it definitely doesn't suck.
I meant that the issue is being seen when charging at 32 amps when the vehicle is capable of 48 amps. SR and the MR cap at 32 so wondering if it would show up as 16 amps for those vehicles.

I can report that, two days ago, the second 16A module in my PCS failed. I can now only charge at 16A. I'm going on a roadtrip next week to a location with a destination charger, and if the third module fails… I'll be SOL. :oops:

08_sm.jpg

No I've been following along. If it's your third one was wondering if there was a warranty on the new part itself.
Seems like it may be a deeper issue of they've failed more than once.
No… see the link. The PCS contains 3 modules, each handling 16A of power. 16 x 3 = 48A total possible charge from an AC charging station. Those modules start to fail prematurely, one at a time. The first one died on me over 9 months ago. Now the second one has died. If the third goes… I won't be able to charge at either Level 1 or Level 2, period. Covering these components under the HV Battery and Drive Unit warranty is precisely what my dispute with Tesla is all about. None of the parts have been replaced yet, as I'm waiting for the arbitrator to render a decision.

No… see the link. The PCS contains 3 modules, each handling 16A of power. 16 x 3 = 48A total possible charge from an AC charging station. Those modules start to fail prematurely, one at a time. The first one died on me over 9 months ago. Now the second one has died. If the third goes… I won't be able to charge at either Level 1 or Level 2, period. Covering these components under the HV Battery and Drive Unit warranty is precisely what my dispute with Tesla is all about. None of the parts have been replaced yet, as I'm waiting for the arbitrator to render a decision.
OK. I remember that now. This is completely crazy this isn't covered.

have you updated your complaint stating that a second module has now failed? Tesla not covering this under the longer warranty is insane.

Now Tesla wants to charge me "$127.50 for half hour of general diagnosis to inspect cause of concern" on top of the $1750 to fix it even though I gave them everything they need to know to figure out the issue. I've tested another Tesla with my wall connector, gets 40A. I tested my 3 with my friend's wall connector where he gets 40A, still only 32A for me.

My tesla home charger is set at 32A which is the max value I can type in.
However, my M3LR only shows 16A max and I get an error with 3 multiple different AC/DC charging stations (2 home tesla wall chargers on different location and one non tesla charger in the city centre):

THE ERROR IS:
"(PCS a019) Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging. Unplug and retry / Try different charging location."

The amps showing in the car reach 16A/16A (even though wall charger is set to 32A) and max power I can reach is 7kw, then the above error pops up.

Fast charging works ok, low power charging (3kw) directly from kitchen outlet also works without error.

I scheduled an appointment on 11/9 at Tesla service and I will see what they have to say.

But I am scared reading about part or battery replacements, my car is 1 year old and only has 5000miles on the clock.

Any idea what is going on? Am I doing something wrong?

However, my M3LR only shows 16A max and I get an error with 3 multiple different AC/DC charging stations (2 home tesla wall chargers on different location and one non tesla charger in the city centre):

THE ERROR IS:
"(PCS a019) Power grid or vehicle issue limiting AC charging. Unplug and retry / Try different charging location."

The amps showing in the car reach 16A/16A (even though wall charger is set to 32A) and max power I can reach is 7kw, then the above error pops up.

Fast charging works ok, low power charging (3kw) directly from kitchen outlet also works without error.

I scheduled an appointment on 11/9 at Tesla service and I will see what they have to say.

But I am scared reading about part or battery replacements, my car is 1 year old and only has 5000miles on the clock.

Any idea what is going on? Am I doing something wrong?
Since it says "16a/16a" it is likely that the problem is your wall connector, not the car. It's either configured wrong, or it is broken in some way.

Since it says "16a/16a" it is likely that the problem is your wall connector, not the car. It's either configured wrong, or it is broken in some way.
the thing is that I tried on 3 different ones:(
And the error pops up. I have appointment on 2 days, I will give an update...
Also the MYP charges normally on the same wall charger, it reaches 16/16 A and goes to 11kw power...while my M3 LR only reaches 7kw and the PSC_a019 pops up:/

So...Tesla service did a remote diagnostics and confirmed that PSC module needs to be replaced and that this is the reason for the PSC_a019 error.
They say it is common to see these sensors fail. I am waiting for a new one and it falls completely under warranty.
I'm very happy with the service team so far...

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

THE ERROR IS:
Ah, yep, PCS (power conversion system) failure. There has been a rash of these. It's the onboard charger in the car that converts from the AC electricity coming in, into DC to go directly into the battery. And as you noticed, fast charging like Supercharging still works fine, because that's already converted outside of the car and is bypassing the PCS. Here is a big thread about it if you want some reading.

Ah, yep, PCS (power conversion system) failure. There has been a rash of these. It's the onboard charger in the car that converts from the AC electricity coming in, into DC to go directly into the battery. And as you noticed, fast charging like Supercharging still works fine, because that's already converted outside of the car and is bypassing the PCS. Here is a big thread about it if you want some reading.

unfortunatell, yes:( PCS will be replaced, hopefully in the beginni g of next week.
Tesla service did an online diagnostic and identified the failed PCS without me even having to drive the car down to the shop.
I am lucky to even find out about this as I almost never charge the car with me being inside or with the doors open, to actually see the a_019 error.
Luckily, my M3 LR is only 1 year and 2 months old and only has 5k miles, so, the warranty will cover the repair.

Reactions: Rocky_H
does anyone know when they start offering CCS retrofits, if that has anything to do with the PCS (replacing it)? I do want CCS compatibility added to my 2018 3, and if it may also fix the PCS issue if they need to replace it anyways, it would be a double win