Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They seriously need the chargers to just go to "free" mode when this happens. Similarly if the mobile network goes down.
I guess they could say that if the eftpos machine breaks at a servo they dont give away free fuel :) They just put out those annoying orange witches hats which can get wedged under the front of your car if you hook around the corner because you are being tailgated in adelaide and dont see them in time (ask me how i know about this haha)

If they start giving away free electricity when the charger loses connection via mobile network, I predict a sudden increase in schematics and parts lists being posted in this forum to build mobile phone signal jammers. spoiler alert: it takes about $20 in parts, beginners soldering skills, and a 9V battery...
It would also pretty quickly attract the attention of ACMA. A potential fine of $1.75M and 5 years in the clink is a steep price to risk for a bit of free charging.

Reactions: Chuq
Yet another reason to get the RFID cards for your favourite networks…
Certainly - for the ones that actually offer them... BP Pulse and Ampol Ampcharge still don't offer or accept RFID cards. Nor can you manually pay in-store for your charging.

I guess they could say that if the eftpos machine breaks at a servo they dont give away free fuel
No, but they still accept cash - and might even have one of those old-fashioned credit card manual imprinters under the register (even if they don't, they can write down your credit card number in a book and charge you manually later - I've actually had that happen once many years ago).

At the end of the day, an essential service that relies totally on a mobile internet connection with no back-up solution is a problem that actually needs to be solved. This is a country where people are sometimes fleeing bushfires, for example.

Reactions: dronus
They seriously need the chargers to just go to "free" mode when this happens. Similarly if the mobile network goes down.
Reminds me of the old rumour that ATMs would give away free cash if their comms line was cut.
Indeed. These chargers need to be treated like essential services, otherwise drivers will end up stranded.
Yes. Petrol stations would have similar problems if they lost power, wouldn't they? Couldn't run the pumps. Comms infrastructure is usually well protected (especially mobile towers seem quite good), so perhaps the ChargeFox failure happened further up the stack? Or a similar problem as the Teslra IoT issue?

Even now it takes little action against the LTE illegals as well

ACMA will absolutely take action if they are reported. They will visit the site, identify the presence of an illegal transmitter, and shut the illegal transmitter down and remove the equipment. And then identify the owner and probably issue a fine. ACMA has search and enter powers.

Illegal transmitters - particularly mobile network ones - are an extremely serious issue and possible threat to public safety because they can interfere with the properly licenced public telecommunications transmitters and potentially stop someone making a 000 call.

But the point is they need to be reported. ACMA can’t take action against something it does not know about. It doesn’t have an army of people with spectrum analyzers surveying the RF landscape 24/7 across every sq km of this country.

So, have you identified the presence of an illegal repeater and reported it to ACMA?

Reactions: johnchidgey
I'm new to Chargefox, I've just installed the app and setting it up. I have a Model Y. What would be the appropriate filters for searching?
I'm assuming Type 1 and Chademo off, Type 2 (Mennekes) on.
Then maybe CCS Combo 1 on.
How about CCS Combo 2?
Thanks!
Type2 and CCS2.

CCS1, there may only be one left in the country anyway, will not work for Teslas. It is North American CCS type.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan and Chuq
Thanks! My dirty secret is that I've had my car for nearly a year, and only charged with the UMC cable!
But I'll be doing some driving down the south in WA. Do people think getting the ChargeHQ app adds anything useful? Chargefox itself looks to me like it should do everything I need.

Thanks! My dirty secret is that I've had my car for nearly a year, and only charged with the UMC cable!
But I'll be doing some driving down the south in WA. Do people think getting the ChargeHQ app adds anything useful? Chargefox itself looks to me like it should do everything I need.
Charging apps are like Pokémon. You gotta get ‘em all.