Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Start with one app: Plugshare (or just use the web page on a browser).

Work out what chargers are available in the area you plan to drive, and sign up with those networks.

I've never even heard of most of the networks in moa's list above - they don't exist where I drive.

Reactions: dronus
is it just me or is anyone else irritated they don't all offer credit card tap payments without having to sign up and give your firstborn child away?
Chargefox cards might become the new Apple iTunes cards that scammers ask for to pay back those online scams hahaha.

I wonder if that will ever be a thing? Prepaid Chargefox cards you can buy at the supermarket and give to people as gifts?

just me or is anyone else irritated they don't all offer credit card tap payments without having to sign up and give your firstborn child away?
Takes about 30secs to sign up to most with the stored info in my phone.

A decent IP rated Credit card reader with integrated SIM plus the additional programming would easily add $1000 to the cost of a unit which is unviable for lesser used units, particularly AC.

Takes about 30secs to sign up to most with the stored info in my phone.

A decent IP rated Credit card reader with integrated SIM plus the additional programming would easily add $1000 to the cost of a unit which is unviable for lesser used units, particularly AC.
I forgot about AC chargers - would be neat to see Tesla offering credit card tap and pay as an option at destination chargers so you don't have to open the app.

is it just me or is anyone else irritated they don't all offer credit card tap payments without having to sign up and give your firstborn child away?
I personally don't care. Apart from the credit card number, Chargefox only asked for an email address and postcode, and Evie an email address and phone number.

I wouldn't use credit card tap payments even if they had them, because getting the preauth hold released sometimes takes an annoyingly long amount of time.

Reactions: B3AU
You don't find it ridiculous to have over a dozen networks each with their own app?
No different to the dozens of supermarket, retail, chemist, fast food loyalty cards and apps. Everyone wants to own the customer and have the relationship.

Why cant I convert Flybuys points to Qantas miles earned by buying a Whopper at Macca's.?? :)

Do any of the apps let you use applepay/wallet to pay?
That would be good using the biometrics on the phone, plus you don’t have to carry any cards. Some banks don’t even give you a card, it just loads up in their app and it adds to the phone wallet which obscures the real number.

I'd have to agree with ZeeDoc on this one.

If you choose to participate in dozens of loyalty programs and download their apps, fill your boots.

I don't. I carry one credit card, use it for everything, and pay it off every month for zero interest.

But now I have an EV, I have no choice but to load my phone with an app for each charging network.

Imagine if we were FORCED to have a separate app to pay at the supermarket, then another app to pay at the fruit shop, and then a different app to pay at the fruit shop in the next suburb, and then a different app to pay for our electricity, and then another one for the pizza store...

It's only in EV land where this behaviour seems to be tolerated, and I don't get it. What ever happened to the concept of legal tender?

At least the UK legislators have worked it out: New rules to make it easier to use public electric car chargers

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
As someone who does not partake in any of those schemes I'm afraid I'm on the s'getti train here. Just let me pay with the anonymity of a card transaction. And no, I don't own any credit cards that share my buying behaviour... :)
There's no anonymity in charging anyway. Apart from the credit card number itself, your car shares unique identifiers with every DC charger it connects to.

You don't find it ridiculous to have over a dozen networks each with their own app?
I've been driving long distances interstate in an EV for 4 years now, and in that time I've only bothered with the Tesla, Chargefox and Evie apps. Maybe one day I'll see the need for BP or Ampol. I really don't think anyone needs to collect all the tinpot AC charging apps.

I can see a few good reasons for using the apps: it eliminates the need for preauth holds; it simplifies the idle fee problem (you can't charge more than the preauthorisation so how do you handle the possibility of idle fees?); it lets you alert the customer when charging is finished so they move their car promptly; it lets you show price information without having to have a display on the charger.

I do think it would be good to consolidate on a couple of networks/apps though - both Chargefox and Evie host third-party charging sites on their network, and NRMA for example should have used Chargefox which they part-own instead of rolling their own.

All comes down to cost structures.
There's a reason the Coke machine can afford a $1000 IP rated credit card reader.

But I suspect you wouldn't like that Gross Margin at your local EV charger.

Plus to what cafz says.
Ability to access Tax Invoices, History etc..

Over time the smaller billing networks are going to consolidate. They simply won't be able to compete.

Reactions: Vostok
No different to the dozens of supermarket, retail, chemist, fast food loyalty cards and apps. Everyone wants to own the customer and have the relationship.

Why cant I convert Flybuys points to Qantas miles earned by buying a Whopper at Macca's.?? :)

Because I can work in to any supermarket, retails, chemist etc. and use the same credit card to pay...tap/pay move on....

On and I can drive in (if I had an ICE) to BP, Ampol etc. and tap the CC to pay and move on...