Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! Wow I haven't been on these forums for a while.

Thanks for the interest on these sites, and to answer your questions and to make a few comments (please note these are my views only and do not reflect the views of Chargefox and/or JET Charge):

1. We chose 350kW charging because it futureproofs the sites. With Porsche coming out with 350kW Charging, and Audi announcing 350kW charging with the e-tron GT, we think it's the right decision for a network that we want to last for a very long time. It's also the choice of the Ionity and Electrify America networks, and we wanted Australia to leapfrog a lot of other countries so that we can get a good allocation of EVs from overseas OEMs.

2. At each site there will also be 2 x 50kW Tritium charging stations as backup and for slower charging vehicles.

Cheers!

Thanks for the interest on these sites, and to answer your questions and to make a few comments (please note these are my views only and do not reflect the views of Chargefox and/or JET Charge):

1. We chose 350kW charging because it futureproofs the sites. With Porsche coming out with 350kW Charging, and Audi announcing 350kW charging with the e-tron GT, we think it's the right decision for a network that we want to last for a very long time. It's also the choice of the Ionity and Electrify America networks, and we wanted Australia to leapfrog a lot of other countries so that we can get a good allocation of EVs from overseas OEMs.

2. At each site there will also be 2 x 50kW Tritium charging stations as backup and for slower charging vehicles.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info! Are the 350KW units CCS2 only? Don't happen to have an ETA?

Cheers!
I’m sure the two porsche owners will be happy with your choice sometime next decade.

That's great. I wonder what a Tesla with an adapter will do with the new CHAdeMO standard...
Today's CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps. It says so right on the label. I suspect that there is little if any headroom in the hardware design to increase it in firmware. So, they will have to introduce a new one in order to increase the power it can pass to a Tesla vehicle.

So, no matter the CHAdeMO charger, the most a Tesla vehicle can draw through that adapter is 400VDC * 125A = 50kW.

Today's CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125 amps. It says so right on the label. I suspect that there is little if any headroom in the hardware design to increase it in firmware. So, they will have to introduce a new one in order to increase the power it can pass to a Tesla vehicle.

So, no matter the CHAdeMO charger, the most a Tesla vehicle can draw through that adapter is 400VDC * 125A = 50kW.
That's what I was implying - what would a new adapter to suit the higher power source be capable of.

That's what I was implying - what would a new adapter to suit the higher power source be capable of.
The new CHAdeMO 1.2 spec for 200kW is up to 400A at up to 500VDC. So, in theory, a fully V1.2 compliant adapter would allow the same charge rate as today's Superchargers. However, AFAIK, nobody has released a 400A actively cooled CHAdeMO plug for use on these stations. The Electrify America installations are using existing 125A cables and are therefore limited to 50kW even though they have promised to upgrade them when components are available and testing is completed.

CHAdeMO Releases 200 kW Specs. 400 kW Specs In Progress!

In all honesty, I do not expect Tesla to do anything to improve their CHAdeMO adapter. If they came out with a new adapter, I would think it would be for CCS. New stations in most of the world except Japan have both plugs. 50kW is sufficient as a "backup" to Superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: conman
I’m sure the two porsche owners will be happy with your choice sometime next decade.

Awww don't be like that Paul, we're trying to cater for the large number of EVs to come, many of which are still in development, that will no doubt take advantage of very high powered charging. We didn't want our infrastructure to become redundant as soon as it is built.

Elon himself has implied that 350kW is not fast enough.

To be honest, what bothers me the most is the lack of a standard for charging yet considering how it's inevitable that all car manufacturers will be electrifying their fleets. Yes you can say there are multiple standards, but that's far worse. But I guess I've gone offtopic here...

standards.png

To be honest, what bothers me the most is the lack of a standard for charging yet considering how it's inevitable that all car manufacturers will be electrifying their fleets. Yes you can say there are multiple standards, but that's far worse. But I guess I've gone offtopic here...

standards.png
LOL, I have posted that same cartoon to this forum before :) So true...
Anyway, that's how the human race works, no one is actually in charge.

Reactions: conman
Awww don't be like that Paul, we're trying to cater for the large number of EVs to come, many of which are still in development, that will no doubt take advantage of very high powered charging. We didn't want our infrastructure to become redundant as soon as it is built.

Elon himself has implied that 350kW is not fast enough.

He did, and then he backtracked on that comment when he looked at long term battery deg and the economics of it. Gen 2 Tesla Superchargers will be ~200-250kw. It's probably an issue with the legacy 400V battery config that Tesla runs, if they had 800V they could probably have much higher charge rates with little deg impact. I can't see that happening in the short term (maybe on the roadster with it's double stacked packs?)