Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CCS2 adaptors for type 2 cars, while on the Tesla web site are not yet available in Australia. I checked. This is a real pain since J1772 seems to be being phased out. The NRMA chargers in Pokolbin Hunter valley are CCS@ and ChaDemo. Useless to me in my type2 only car!
If you want to use the NRMA or ChargeFox networks right now the Tesla Owners Club of Australia (TOCA) have a CHAdeMO adapter loan program.
I used the CHAdeMO adapter successfully in QLD a few weeks ago and my car is the same age as yours.
Not sure why you're worried about J1772 being phased out as that is an AC charging standard that is being replaced by Type 2 which is native to Model S.

Went through Cooma today and drove into the Snowy Hydro Discovery Centre to see the new Chargefox setup. There are 2 x 350kW (CCS) and 1 x 50kW (CCS and Chademo).
The Discovery Centre is on the north side of town, if you arrive outside of Centre hours (8 to 5) there isn't much else.
20191031_093202.jpg

Looking at plugshare there seems to be no location in the country where there is a chademo plug but no CCS2. Is that right? In other words, having access to one or the other is useful, but having access to both is not useful at all. Can anyone confirm?

- There are a small number of fast chargers that have Chademo/CCS1 instead of Chademo/CCS2, but not that many and the number is shrinking all the time
- There are some Chargefox sites that have (for example) 1 Chademo but 3 CCS, so being able to use CCS is an advantage if the sole Chademo is in use
- Chademo adaptor is limited to 50 kW. CCS adaptor can get 100-120 kW. I’ve seen 190+ kW but I’m fairly sure that was a Model 3 with its native CCS port.
- CCS adaptor is way less bulky.
- CCS adaptor is cheaper (if you have a post May 2019 car) and even if you have an older car and need to replace the adaptor due to theft/loss, most of the cost of the upgrade was the internals of the car.

So there are pros and cons to both but most of the pros are in favour of CCS.

Reactions: baillies
I also find the plugshare site misleading - It knows I have a Model 3 (great!), but won't show me the Chargefox rapid chargers near me that have CCS, that I know will work. It pretty much only shows Tesla Destination Chargers and wall outlets to me.

Hence, I tend to look at the plugin from plugshare on the electric vehicle council page instead.

I also find the plugshare site misleading - It knows I have a Model 3 (great!), but won't show me the Chargefox rapid chargers near me that have CCS, that I know will work. It pretty much only shows Tesla Destination Chargers and wall outlets to me.

Hence, I tend to look at the plugin from plugshare on the electric vehicle council page instead.
You need to adjust your Plugshare filters to show the types of charging stations and wall outlets that you want it to show.

Plugshare Filters - Oceana.jpg

Reactions: Dave3333
Where? (not having a go - genuinely curious) :D

Some of the older ACTEWAGL ones in Canberra.
Some of the RAC WA ones (they all were until six months ago but they are gradually being upgraded)
Byron Bay Library (although NRMA's site is only 5 km away, so not a big problem)
Adelaide's Charging hub had 2x Tritiums, both were CCS1, but shortly after the Ioniq arrived, one was changed to CCS2.
Probably some other old ones I've forgotten about!

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Some of the older ACTEWAGL ones in Canberra.
Some of the RAC WA ones (they all were until six months ago but they are gradually being upgraded)
Byron Bay Library (although NRMA's site is only 5 km away, so not a big problem)
Adelaide's Charging hub had 2x Tritiums, both were CCS1, but shortly after the Ioniq arrived, one was changed to CCS2.
Probably some other old ones I've forgotten about!
There is one at Yarrabilba Sales & Information Centre (Darrau Ave Yarrabilba, QLD 4207)

Went through Cooma today and drove into the Snowy Hydro Discovery Centre to see the new Chargefox setup. There are 2 x 350kW (CCS) and 1 x 50kW (CCS and Chademo).
The Discovery Centre is on the north side of town, if you arrive outside of Centre hours (8 to 5) there isn't much else.View attachment 471722
Went to Toombul Shopping Centre (Toombul, QLD 4012) to test ultra-rapid charger (Chargefox). There are 2 x 350kW (CCS2) in the level 2 rooftop car park. Only charged up to 175kW, low efficiency.

- There are a small number of fast chargers that have Chademo/CCS1 instead of Chademo/CCS2, but not that many and the number is shrinking all the time
- There are some Chargefox sites that have (for example) 1 Chademo but 3 CCS, so being able to use CCS is an advantage if the sole Chademo is in use
- Chademo adaptor is limited to 50 kW. CCS adaptor can get 100-120 kW. I’ve seen 190+ kW but I’m fairly sure that was a Model 3 with its native CCS port.
- CCS adaptor is way less bulky.
- CCS adaptor is cheaper (if you have a post May 2019 car) and even if you have an older car and need to replace the adaptor due to theft/loss, most of the cost of the upgrade was the internals of the car.

So there are pros and cons to both but most of the pros are in favour of CCS.
As a soon to be 3 owner I my brain is melting down with all these different standards & possibilities. So are the two extra holes in the 3s charge receptacle what you mean when you say it has a native CCS port?
Can you please point me to a CCS adaptor that would work with the 3 so I can access Chargefox. Might try order one during the Black Friday sales.

As a soon to be 3 owner I my brain is melting down with all these different standards & possibilities. So are the two extra holes in the 3s charge receptacle what you mean when you say it has a native CCS port?
Can you please point me to a CCS adaptor that would work with the 3 so I can access Chargefox. Might try order one during the Black Friday sales.
You don't need an adapter for the 3; it's built in.

The 3 is natively compatible with type 2 and CCS2 connections. Most public chargers will have one of these connections nowadays, although some might be BYO type2 cable, check on Plugshare.

As @raynewman and @bigbones have said, no need to worry!

Tesla's change to CCS for the Model 3 was to allow it to use the same standard connector as the majority of the new EVs on the market. The provision of the adaptors is to allow older vehicles to use these stations. (Note - when Tesla first produced the S back in 2012, there wasn't a standard that charged at the speeds they wanted to use.)

Things are getting better, not worse!

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Does this arrangement on the cars ports preclude a THWC for an S or X connecting to the 3?

I assume you mean a HPWC or destination charger; they use the AC portion of the socket (the round part, or Type 2 socket) and will plug into any S, X, 3, or non-Tesla car having a Type 2 connection. (Some Tesla destination/HPWC units will only charge Teslas, but they all have a legacy mode that allows non-Teslas to be charged. Most are set this way by default.)

You are quite correct I meant HPWC for home AC. Thanks for the answer.

I think I have been getting a bit confused from looking at the plugshare "compatible plug" chart as depicted several posts back. The Tesla & Supercharger plugs on the LHS visually do not appear to fit into the CCS/SAE in the centre. The latter being the model 3 setup. I can see now if one flips the Tesla plug 180 degrees and allows for some exaggeration in the sketch it can be made to fit.

Last edited:
Plugshare's depiction of the Tesla and Supercharger plugs I think are the original ones for the Roadster (?) and is incorrect for Australia. In any case, you should select them when filtering because the destination chargers use Type 2 connections here, despite the diagram. The superchargers also have CCS2 (CCS/SAE in Plugshare).