Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have an Evie card you can enter it's serial in the Chargefox app and use for both. (and vice versa, I believe). May even work with any random RFID fob if you know the MAC it puts out. Can scan with NFC app on phone to read.

I can confirm Chargefox RFID cards do not work on Evie.

See my post in the Evie thread for more details.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
I can confirm that my Evie card worked at Goulburn, and my ACTEW AGL card worked in Shell Cove, on Friday night. I’ve linked all their serial numbers to my account.

But speaking of Shell Cove, its late night keycode isn’t working anymore. I’ve been unable to open the gate twice in recent weeks.

I had an interesting experience at the Euora Chargefox chargers yesterday.

Pull up to stall 5138 (350kW) and plugged the car in and tapped my token to activate.
A moment later the following message appears on the very little screen...
Charging is delayed until power is available
And about 30 seconds later it came out with Charging Error. Communications Problem message.

OK..... there is a Kona charging at stall 5137 (350kW) next to me. I check it and it is whirring away charging OK.
I'll try again... unplug and then plug in again, making sure everything is solidly connected, tap and... same error.

I give up and move to stall 4168 (50kW) and start the charging session successfully. btw, 4167 (50kW) is offline. ☹️
I'm OK with it taking an extra 15 minutes to charge.

In the mean time, I called Chargefox support and walk them through the issue.
The nice lady at the other end says they have no issues with that unit at the moment. She also says she doesn't know what the message indicates and says she will get a techo to have a look at it.
I give her my name an mobile number.

About 10 minutes later the Kona leaves and I can't be bothered moving the car as I'm watching an episode of Shitt's Creek.
About 5 minutes later a Model X pulls up and tries stall 5138 and gets the same error message I received. He moves over to stall 5167 which works for him.

So... anybody got any idea what "Charging is delayed until power is available" message means?

So... anybody got any idea what "Charging is delayed until power is available" message means?

Chargefox has been trailing dynamic connections.

Rather than getting an expensive Electrical network upgrade to ensure the site can pull the full power 24/7, they rely on dynamic capacity information from the distribution network service provider on how much power the site can pull. For example, an upstream transformer in the distribution network might have 50% capacity for most of the year, except for a couple of hours on a couple of hot days when there is widespread air conditioning in use.

I'm not sure which sites are part of this trial.

However, it does sound like a loss of communications in general and not specific to the dynamic connection.

Interesting.. this one was Chargefox's first "big" (multiple stall, ultra-rapid) site, and was unique in that it used solar on the roof of the building, solar in the adjacent field, a battery and grid connection.

In fact back on page 3 of this thread, there is a link to an article with a deep dive into this specific site - article is now archived (images are broken) but the text is there - https://www.drivezero.com.au/chargi...an-ultra-rapid-electric-car-charging-station/

Pages 1 & 2 are pretty amusing reading as well :)

Email from Chargefox from those who haven't received it:

Things are changing​

We've got new and exciting plans on the horizon​

Back in 2018, we opened Australia’s first-ever ultra-rapid EV charging station capable of delivering up to 350kW of power and 400km of range in 15 minutes. Sure, the few EV models available back then weren’t able to use the power from the charger to its full potential, but we were building future-proofed infrastructure that would serve EV drivers for years to come.
Over 35,000 EV drivers use the Chargefox app, and we’re proud to have built the largest charging network in the country. We’ve completed the first phase of the network build, and we’re not stopping there.

To be able to fulfil these plans and serve more drivers in the future, we’re making a few changes. Here are the headlines:

1. Better network reliability​

As both Chargefox and the number of EV drivers have grown, so too has the pressure on resources and supplier networks crucial to powering our sites. There have been outages at some sites, less than ideal visibility of maintenance timeframes and questions about the reliability of the sites on our network - both for the locations we own and those we manage for others.
We recognise these issues and the impact they’ve had, and we want all drivers to know that we’re fixing them. Here are just a few tangible ways we’re stepping up the reliability of the network:
  1. New approaches to working with manufacturers on the supply of parts for station hardware
  2. Improving turnaround times on maintenance at offline stations
  3. Increased transparency with drivers and site hosts about station outages and resolution timeframes

2. New App features​

We’re building more features to make charging your EV simpler.

We’re listening to your feedback and working to implement new functionality that will make your charging experience better, like mechanisms to help clear up charging bay congestion and more. Our roadmap is full of exciting features to help solve problems you’ve told us about, and we’ll be switching on new functionality in the coming months.

3. More discounted pricing options​

Over the past 4 years, we've developed a network of partnerships and Member program discounts to provide complimentary and discounted charging to as many EV drivers as possible. Thousands of users have taken up a discounted charging offer, and we’re signing up more partners including EV manufacturers and EV rental services all the time.

4. An even bigger charging network​

Last year we announced our plans to operate 5,000 plugs by the end of 2025, and we are well on our way to achieving this. For the latest news about new charger locations, head to our website.

Ultra-rapid charging fees are increasing.​

Pricing for our ultra-rapid (up to 350kW) chargers was set back in 2018 at $0.40 per kWh and hasn't changed in the nearly four years since. When our introductory pricing period ends for these chargers on 9th May 2022, charging fees will increase to $0.60 per kWh.

There’s no change to pricing for our fast chargers (up to 50kW), and we’re still offering discounts of up to 100% for drivers of partner EV models. Motoring Club Membership (via the Australian Motoring Services including The NRMA, RACV, RACQ, RAA, RAC and RACT) will continue to receive at least a 20% discount at all ultra-rapid stations.

We wanted to give you as much notice as possible about this price change and we’re around to answer any questions you might have. If you’d like to chat, please get in touch with our Customer Service team here.

We welcome this opportunity to thank you, our users, for your ongoing support. We’re extremely proud of the milestones we’ve achieved together and look forward to providing you with more value and more (reliable) EV charging solutions long into the future.

Price Increase for the 350kw Chargers... Doesn't make a massive difference for Tesla Owners... Actually just makes the Superchargers more attractive again.
Yep... I can see the FB groups being up in arms about this over the next few days.

But it's honestly not bad at all. It costs $1m+ to build these sites. Commercial charging networks are losing money on every charge at the moment, probably even at 60c/kWh too. Once the flow of cars is a bit more steady then it will start being a bit better on their revenues vs costs.

Even if it costs the same as petrol (which it's nowhere near close to) it's still only the kind of site you visit when on a road trip, when you need to charge up really quickly.

60c -20% = $0.48/kWh
Versus Tesla at $0.51/kWh currently.

And makes Chargefox the same price as Evie without the discount.

I'd hope the lower rate also applies for any 75kW units they roll out
I think it'd be unlikely to see Chargefox roll out many 75 kW ones. Given their new arrangement with Kempower, I can see them using the S-series units which share a block of power between multiple stalls, so the distinction of a 50, 75, 350 kW etc site might be less clear with future sites.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Australia has seen large increases in wholesale electricity prices - Queensland up 285% YoY to Q1/22, NSW up 130.5%, VIC up 138%, Tas up 106.8% and SA up 64.5%, so an increase to 60c/kWh seems fine to me. The federal government is so worried, normally the AER (Australian Energy Regulator) would release prices next month, but the government has asked them to hold off until after the election. Prices are now due on the Wednesday after the election. I suspect once residential prices are released, 60c/kWh wont look too bad at all.

Last edited: