Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd recommend getting a Chargefox RFID card - makes the units a lot easier to use.

It would help if there was a mandated interoperability between the RFID cards. Having 5 different cards for 5 networks is nuts to the average punter trying to come to grips with this stuff.

I mean, we've got RMS etag in the car and it works with every tollway company in Australia. When the govt is handing out grants, it needs to start pulling a few levers. This should have been on the list.

Reactions: DasBoot
It would help if there was a mandated interoperability between the RFID cards. Having 5 different cards for 5 networks is nuts to the average punter trying to come to grips with this stuff.

I mean, we've got RMS etag in the car and it works with every tollway company in Australia. When the govt is handing out grants, it needs to start pulling a few levers. This should have been on the list.

The only RFID tag that should be required is called "PayPass" or "PayWave" Eg, VISA/MC/AMEX, they just need to work on making it actually, you know, work. Perhaps an RFID option if you get somekind of discount. Plug and charge being the ultimate "easy" option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickst
I've never had a positive experience with a charge fox station.

I’ve only had positive experiences with ChargeFox stations, but I’ve only used their DCFCs (I don’t use the Schneider AC units, I don’t have a Type 2 to Type 2 cable). With ChargeFox DCFC stations:
  1. Remove CCS2 plug from holster and plug in
  2. Wave ChargeFox RFID card
That’s it. Same for Evie. So one step more than Tesla SC. Though a pollie during an election campaign would spin that as “DOUBLE 😱 the number of steps compared to the alternative!!!!”

The RFID card saves a few steps compared to using their respective Apps so I like them for that reason - they identify the user, identify the station, and commence charging in one go. Shame they can’t be added to the Apple Wallet though.

Reactions: Maximillan

It’s not that bad. I have 3 cards (Evie, ChargeFox, ChargePoint) in the console of my car, with the latter basically being defunct, and Evie cards being able to be used on ChargeFox (but not vice versa) although Evie told me they have tested it and it works but they don’t promote it, but I haven’t got it to work. It’s not hard to pull out the right card. I don’t know what NRMA plans to do when they start charging - possibly piggy-back off one of the others.

Compatible toll tags nationally are a relatively recent thing - maybe the past 10 years? I remember when electronic tolling first started in Sydney in the late 90s, each tollway had its own tag and they were incompatible.

1. get type 2 cable out of frunk
  2. plug in EV side
  3. open app
  4. use GPS to find the site, open it
  5. find station ID
  6. find side
  7. unlock charger in app
  8. lift flap
  9. plug in EVSE side
  10. press green button
  11. confirm charging commenced

You forgot step..

9.5 Flap scrapes skin on back of fingers

Actually that might be because I do the EVSE side first and am holding the other end of the cable with the other hand.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Actually, the nice thing that Chargepoint is they support Apple Wallet, so you can use your phone.

Not sure why Chargefox, Evie, etc don't. I assume there is some dev work to do or a license fee for it.

But yeah I use the RFID cards to start the charge.

Reactions: meloccom
Actually, the nice thing that Chargepoint is they support Apple Wallet, so you can use your phone.

Not sure why Chargefox, Evie, etc don't. I assume there is some dev work to do or a license fee for it.

But yeah I use the RFID cards to start the charge.
With the increases post may for chargefox DC chargers, even with the 20% NRMA membership, costs about the same as a supercharger. I don't see the benefit.

With the increases post may for chargefox DC chargers, even with the 20% NRMA membership, costs about the same as a supercharger. I don't see the benefit.
The rollout of Superchargers in NSW has stalled dramatically. In the last two years NSW has got, what, Tamworth, Maclean and Kirrawee? Macquarie Park doesn’t count as it was simply a replacement of St Leonard’s. If I need to charge while I’m up in Wollongong (as I often do), I’ll still go to Chargefox Shell Cove over the Berry Supercharger.

Though that point is more relevant for Evie. Most of their chargers are rather distant from Superchargers.

The RFID tags have always worked for me (when the $%^& chargers themselves work, that is). Not that it needs a RFID (yet) but my fave non-Tesla location is NRMA The Farm (Byron Bay) which, thank all the gods, actually has two stalls, is just off the freeway, and I can get a decent breakfast and coffee. But last time through, one stall was down.

I'd love to know the story behind this:

1657324795866.png

That's a bit sad for a site with two ultrafast chargers!

Looks like all chargers at Cooma Chargefox are on the blink.

Not ideal given it’s ski season and school holidays. Non Tesla ev’s will be relying heavily on this site.

Tritium curse yet again?
Mate of mine sent me a post from the MG EV group from a guy who was in the early stages of charging when the whole area went dark.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 3.43.36 pm.JPEG
    Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 3.43.36 pm.JPEG
    175.2 KB · Views: 47
I’m enjoying my road trip :D and am now in QLD. I had my first charging session on a City of Goldcoast 75 kW Tritium unit. First, I got 75 kW out of it which was noice, and second I noticed that even though it was on the Chargefox network, no NRMA discount. Which could either be because it’s not in NSW, or not a directly operated Chargefox unit.

But I can hardly complain, at 30c/kWh it was a bargain!