Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dooohhh....you of course are right that it was.....

2017 is nationwide and we have about a dozen on dealer lots here

Except many of the incentives are not nationwide. When GM offers $3,000 off in select states only (which by strange coincidence are the CARB-ZEV states) you have to say that compliance is a big part of their strategy.

From insideevs monthly deal article:

The extra cash, as well as the features lease, are available in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Apparently some folks seem to think GM is going to sell between 30k and 80k of the Bolts in the first year. Autoblog Post about it here. Not sure where the batteries are coming from though, I was under the impression that LG was only going to produce between 30k and 50k of the batteries for the vehicle.

There is no 30-50k "limit" on batteries at the LG plant, that's just the numbers they are planning to ramp for. GM has stated they could increase production if demands merit it. Chevy Bolt Not Limited To 30,000 Sales A Year

However, 80k Bolts is a lot based on their terrible marketing of their prior EVs.

There is no 30-50k "limit" on batteries at the LG plant, that's just the numbers they are planning to ramp for. GM has stated they could increase production if demands merit it. Chevy Bolt Not Limited To 30,000 Sales A Year

However, 80k Bolts is a lot based on their terrible marketing of their prior EVs.

The comment does appear to state the limit at 50k vehicles. If they were trying to say that they weren't really limited...they'd have used a much larger number to describe the amount they could ramp to.

However, I don't personally believe that they could ramp up to 50k, and I think the comment was simply a deflection from the fact that they have no intention of producing more than 30k vehicles/yr. Not that I believe they're lying, neccessarily, if the stars and planets align maybe they could produce 50k/yr...but I don't think it's particularly realistic.

I would love to be proven incorrect, however. Some people believe the Bolt will be incredibly popular (I'm not one of them), and if true I welcome GMs ability to ramp to 50k.

I've never seen anyone claim that the Bolt will be incredibly popular. Like many people I expect the Bolt to be a solid car. But the lack of a fast charging network, and the cars utilitarian style, will probably limit sales.

I expect Nissan, Audi and Mercedes to finally provide real competition.

The Ford Model E sounds like a dud, unless they are playing rope-a-dope with their "Prius Killer" comment.

Apparently some folks seem to think GM is going to sell between 30k and 80k of the Bolts in the first year. Autoblog Post about it here. Not sure where the batteries are coming from though, I was under the impression that LG was only going to produce between 30k and 50k of the batteries for the vehicle.
We already discussed this "80k" max number projected by the KBB analyst in detail here:
Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

Basically it is just the analyst hedging the max range he predicts. He's not going to be held accountable for being wrong anyways, but by putting a large range like that it increases the chance of him getting it right (not that it is very meaningful in the first place when doing such a general prediction with such a large range).

For the majority of American's, irrationality would be the only reason to choose the Bolt over the Volt. The Volt is more practical in every measurable way.
Well, there are those of us who already have a Volt, Prius, or other gasser who want a second car for commuting and regional driving.... There are lots of us. With coming CCS cars from Audi, Porsche, VW, Mercedes, etc. there should also be a growing interstate CCS network over the life of a new Bolt EV.

Last edited:
Reactions: flankspeed8
For the majority of American's, irrationality would be the only reason to choose the Bolt over the Volt. The Volt is more practical in every measurable way.

I don't think I agree with that. Cargo capacity will be much greater in the Bolt and the Bolt should accelerate significantly faster than the Volt (with electric cars larger batteries always mean better performance as well as better range, and GM confirms it in this case). Not every car is going to be taken on road trips, and the number of times I ever drive my Model S more than 200 miles is very very rarely (the number of times I drive it more than 50 miles is every single day).

I like the Volt, but it is not better than the Bolt in EVERY way. The Bolt is taller, so it should be easier for people with limited mobility to get in and out. The Bolt's hatchback area is bigger. The Bolt will require less maintenance and have lower fuel costs.

And the Bolt has more AER, which for many people is the whole point of shopping in this segment. As JeffN pointed out, it's not necessarily their only car. So I see plenty of reasons rational people might choose the Bolt over the Volt.

Reactions: electracity